PDA

View Full Version : Used Rs4 or brand new S4?

JLG-Racing team
September 10th, 2004, 02:59
Hy all,
This is my first post but iv been wandering around on this forum for about a month. Since my dad and I love Audi's and we never owned one, we decided that maybe this year we will.

So, my question is, what would u guys pick between an old Rs4 or a brand new 2005 S4? We dont have the budget for a brand new Rs4.
Since in Canada the Rs4 wont pass emition tests etc... It would be harder for us to get the Rs4...but still possible.
I was just wondering if it was worth the hassle of making one come from the US.
Will the new S4 surpass an old Rs4? V8 or V6twin?
Those questions were bothering us.
Please feel free to post ur advice with justification.
Thank u:s4addict: :rs4addict

Ps: sry for my poor english

nyrs6
September 10th, 2004, 03:13
Depends, Are you going to modd them? Or Not?

Are you tracking any of them?

If you are planning on modding then get the RS4. Because you cant do too much with the new S4.

Daily driver? S4 all the way.

JLG-Racing team
September 10th, 2004, 03:26
Hy
The car will be a daily driver (very rarely on the track)
The thing with the mods it depends wich car we get...
The S4 will surely be a lease (pain in the arse to modify :deal: )
The Rs4 will be bought.. so no problem with modifications (maybe a downpipe and a chip not more) so is it worth it for the Rs4?
Feel free to post more feedback or personnal impressions on the Rs4.
thank u

RS4Ever
September 10th, 2004, 08:15
welcome JLG to the forum that rocks the most!

also, consider the depreciation value of both.

the new S4.. the new grill .. audi will now have this new grill (lets say permenently).. this will affect the depreciation of audi's before the "more than just a facelift"

some questions...

what does a current RS4 sell for these days?

have you test/driven the current B6 S4 V8 4.2 344hp (the new one will have same specs except i think for the 410 torque while the b6 produced 302), and were you satisfied with the power, handling?

personally, i have test driven the S4 a few times.. my brother as well.. we did some in the cabrio and some in the sedan.. we cant get over the engine/exhaust note. for us, and for daily driving it is enough, its perfect!

which car will be the more useful for the money over the longest amount of time? (unless if you're a collector)

the RS4.. definately more hardcore... more of a track car than the S4. but if i'm buying it for daily use i wouldnt consider mod'ing it. if its ready for a track, its ready for the streets.

both are great cars
i too have never owned an audi. my first will be the new S4 (B7).. and my brother wants the cabriolet S4 (he might have to wait a while). just waiting for it to come into the US market.

very interesting .. however, i dont think that the new S4 will beat an older RS4. RS6 takes M5, Rs4 takes RS6.

compare S4 -> 0-62 = 5.3-5.6
RS4 -> = 4.6 (i think im sure)

good luck.

Josers4imola
September 10th, 2004, 12:01
Hi !!!!
JLG-Racing team, makes donwload of videos with some side by side between the current RS4 and the others cars(M3, M5, some Porsches and etc...) in this link :hahahehe:

http://www.rs4-imola.com.br/downloads.htm

then see the possibilites of RS4 tuning

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=839&highlight=sport+auto

http://www.mtmonline.de/rs4/pr_RS4.html

and make some side by side of RS4 stock vs others cars (M3, M3 CSL, RS6 and etc...) :wo: in this quarter mile SIMULATOR

http://www.jsread.com/tvr/quartermile.htm

and now after this links, What do you think? :rs4kiss:

grizzly
September 10th, 2004, 21:29
Hi,
I drove lots of km with RS4 (60000km) i own one. :rs4kiss:
good friend owns new S4 2004 V8.
If you want a monster on German Autobahn or Highways. take the RS4. Turbo rulez.

If you want a cruisin car take the S4. you cant compare those cars. The S4 has more power in lower revs < 3000. but over this.... no chance its the RS4s part..

JLG-Racing team
September 10th, 2004, 22:19
Thx all for ur time :thumb:

RS4ever- I have personnaly never drove the B6 S4 but my dad did...he found it was sluggish but extremely powerfull :vhmmm: ....i forgot to mention my dad thinks a subaru Wrx STi is sluggish also...so my guess is he would like the RS4 if it is really violent :0:

The car will be a 2 years lease (or if its an RS4...we will decide later on).

Josers4imola- Thx those are awsome vid's and a pretty insane RS4 u got there !

grizzly- In Canada the roads are awfull, its not at all similar to Europe streets, in Montreal every two meters there is a pothole even on the highway it is dangerous. So the Rs4 will be bought for the feeling it gives while driving it (acceleration etc...), not for its top speed capabilities.:revs:

grizzly
September 10th, 2004, 22:54
thats not exactly what i mentioned. RS4 is also a good beast in accel. and turns but you need revs.

And remember styling. S4 is (sorry folks) just a potent A4.
RS4 is even now a car where a lot of people turn their heads.

Dont missunderstand me. I like to drive the S4 V8.
But the difference.... i love to ride the RS4.:incar:

RS4Ever
September 11th, 2004, 03:00
Originally posted by RS4Ever
........i think for the 410 torque while the b6 produced 302), and were you satisfied with the ........

sorry,
a minor adjustment from my messege earlier.. both the New B7 and the current B6 both have 302 ft-lb torque.

grizzly- i agree, i would probably love to drive the RS4 as well - if it were in my budget... and for that money there are probably many other things that i wold love to drive... however knowing me, i'd get an rs4 before getting anything else.:rs4addict

JLG-
have you considered getting a B5 A4/S4 and modding?
One guy posted a clip a while ago of a mod'ed 1.8T that beat a current M3.. pretty impressive... the M3 driver called it a 1.1 liter??? hehe.

im sure bringing an RS4 to Canada might not be that difficult, however, are there really any out there that you can get your hands on?

i forgot his name.. i think he lives in Philidelphia or somewhere north-east in US... anyways, he transformed a B5 A4/S4 (not sure which one) into an RS4... all body panels - everything.. its just like an RS4.. i remember he put Porsche brakes for the fronts.. i'll see if i can find more info about his RS4.. pretty impressive stuff as well.

JLG-Racing team
September 11th, 2004, 04:15
Hey,

have you considered getting a B5 A4/S4 and modding?
RS4Ever- MY dad already considered buying an B5 S4, but instead he decided to go with a Gti Vr6 24valves (best bang for the bucks), this year we will go Audi fo sure.
I have to mention my dad is not to keen on hardcore modifying.

im sure bringing an RS4 to Canada might not be that difficult, however, are there really any out there that you can get your hands on?
There is currently no RS4's in Montreal!And for the rest of the canada i dont know... there is none for sale thats for sure. The RS4 isnt legal over here because of its bumper, windshield, and gaz emissions.:doh:

edit: this is were connections at the canadians customs come in handy:wo:

RS4Ever
September 11th, 2004, 07:57
understood.

get an rs4 from the US and change the badge to an S4.. hehe

make it a sleeper... better chances to pass the borders without problems.:hahahehe:

so percent-wise it sounds like you have more leaning towards the new S4.

nice scenario...(possible):
buy the time you find an old rs4 for sale and bring it over, the new rs4 could already come out and you might make/save enough for it.

if your dad feels that the S4 is a bit sluggish for what you need then you need something more powerful (:rs4kiss:)

let us know what you decide.

JLG-Racing team
September 11th, 2004, 17:02
make it a sleeper... better chances to pass the borders without problems.
Like I said passing the RS4 won't be hard it will just take more time and more useless papers too fill up:deal:
I actually would want people to know that i got an RS4 into Canada:dance:

so percent-wise it sounds like you have more leaning towards the new S4
Nop not exactly, personnaly i would rather go for the RS4, but my dad haven't made up his mind yet.

buy the time you find an old rs4 for sale and bring it over, the new rs4 could already come out and you might make/save enough for it.
The new RS4 would be too much of an expensive car for us.

I'll definatly keep u guys updated on this issue (Old Rs4 vs S4 B7)
Thanks alot

J.Seven
September 13th, 2004, 16:28
I thought the RS4 was not for sale anymore...as a brand new car :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would take the RS4 any day. It´s more exclusive and powerful than the S4, and you can tune it, making it a blast in performance.
The S4 has the glamour of a brand new product, with a more refined interior and smooth ride, but I really think the only big advantage the S4 has from a RS4 is the engine sound, there´s nothing like a 8 cilinder roar.

Josers4imola
September 13th, 2004, 16:53
and read this article about the POWER OF RS4 ENGINE by COSWORTH :hahahehe:
click in this link and save as

http://www.rs4-imola.com.br/fotos/The_Power_Of_The_RS4.pdf

:rs4kiss:

JLG-Racing team
September 14th, 2004, 23:18
:0:

Julz RS4
September 15th, 2004, 05:39
What’s up JLG-Racing team, That's cool you are from Montréal too.

I understand your passion for the mighty B5 RS4; because I dream to have one. :rs4kiss:
It's sad that Audi didn't sell the RS4 and the RS2 in North America.

I just want to say to you that: If you have the chance to find, buy and import an RS4 $$$... just do it my friend. :thumb:

But, if you want to be a more realistic, I recommend to buy a B5 S4 2.7T Biturbo and to make it a full RS4 conversion. I know several people who made it and I believe that it’s the best compromise for us in North America.

Moreover, if you ever want to make this conversion I know a garage near Montréal that can do it.

L-Sport Racing Technology Inc.
VW/Audi Service from general mechanics to race preparation.
Address: 518 Cherrier Ile Bizard (Quebec)
Tel: (514) 626-7744 ask for Luc.
http://www.l-sport.ca/english/services.htm

If you need inspiration for you project, check this web site: www.achtuning.com

:rs4addict

JLG-Racing team
September 15th, 2004, 23:40
Hey felow montrealer!

It's sad that Audi didn't sell the RS4 and the RS2 in North America.
indeed it is extremely sad..cause there's alot of potent buyers ( ;) to Audi)

But, if you want to be a more realistic, I recommend to buy a B5 S4 2.7T Biturbo and to make it a full RS4 conversion. I know several people who made it and I believe that it’s the best compromise for us in North America.
Is it even comparable to an RS4?
The idead of "converting" a car sounds weird and also sounds like alot of work but ill do my research:idea: ...thx
I cant wait to settle on something...
have a good day
:bye:

Bauer
September 16th, 2004, 03:06
Throw enough money at a B5 S4 and you can make them handle better and go faster then an RS4. However it is still a B5 S4 and it will never say manufactured by quattro Gmbh, like the RS cars do on the door sill. I had the opportunity to potentially buy a real RS4 that was brought into the US legally, but after looking at the cost and what I was going to use the car for it made sense for me to buy an S4.

Don't get me wrong I would love to own a real RS4 but at this point it does not make sense. I wanted a track car that I could use occasionally on the street. The RS4 would not be ideal for that, as it is a rare beast here in the states and to abuse it on the track would not be right, in my mind. The B5 S4 I purchased is putting down 350 wheel hp which means it should be putting out about 460hp at the crank (this is a guesstimate:D ) I am in the process of putting suspension and breaks and changing out the center and rear diffs to complete the car for now. It really depends on what the use will be and what your dad is looking for.

For a fairly small amount money and modification the B5 S4 can handle well and be fast. I really like the B6 (now B7) S4 but prefer the turbo charged cars for tuneability. Good luck and have fun.

Cheers,

Bomber
January 15th, 2006, 14:16
Hmmm, I just realized that i'm a lucky git..:incar: :wo:

xscream
January 23rd, 2006, 09:34
RS4!!

How common are they in canada?

I would suggest you to get one with chip + exhaust, and a good chassis upgrade.

Maybe the S4 feels like a never car, and thats the only reason I can imagine to get one instead of the RS4.

alex_s3
January 23rd, 2006, 13:08
How does a chipped S4 B5 (320hp 560nm) go compared with a S4 B6 And a RS4 B5 ?