PDA

View Full Version : update on my chipping

rs6_newyork
September 9th, 2004, 17:09
The chip came out a few days ago. Some people may remember that I was complaining about it here.

On the 80 mile trip back to the tuner, the car felt as it did since the day it was chipped - random torque hiccups out of the blue, and some transmission weirdness at cruise with respect to what I guessed is the lockup torque converter (but perhaps could also be more engine management oddities), and lower gas mileage (about 18mpg @ 70-90mph cruise).

On the 80 mile trip home, sans TCU and ECU flash, the car was back to its butter-smooth self, with gas mileage of about 20mpg at the same average cruise.

For what it is worth, on the way to the tuner i played with downshifting and upshifting and then did the same on the way back. Honestly speaking, I'd never be able to pick a difference.

Basically for my car this mod sucked and I'm very pleased to be rid of it. Of the "100 or so RS6s" done (could it be this many? i'm really wondering if that isn't a white lie) I was the first reversal.

I conclude that either people put up with hiccups for the sake of 40 extra whp, or don't notice them, or are don't want the hassle of negotiating a refund, or don't want to admit they made a mistake, or my engine is "special" in some way and sensitive to higher boost.

One thing (of the many things) that continue to bug me about this whole thing was despite the obvious random hesitations and stumbles in torque, the new ECU never threw a DTC (self-check code). There are DTCs for so many things that are less problematic, after all...

gjg
September 9th, 2004, 20:20
was that OCT or APR chip?

:confused:

rs6_newyork
September 9th, 2004, 20:25
was the giac chip set.

mr.zeke
September 10th, 2004, 00:41
i hope this isnt so with my oct chips that will be back to me tomorrow

keo
September 10th, 2004, 03:38
Don't understand other chip manufacturer. But sure that when I done my stage 2 upgrade with MTM the car response quicker and the engine felt as smooth as stock:vhmmm:

rs6_newyork
September 10th, 2004, 03:53
Oh it was quicker, i have the timeslip to prove it, about 1 second quicker than stock over 1/4 mile.

but with "regular use" drawbacks, that wasn't worth it.

Anyway, i can only speak for my experience not suggesting the problem was widespread. Nevertheless I found not the faintest interest by all parties involved in the problem. If I was running that kind of business, I'd want a demonstration of the issue, and perhaps produce a revision to see if the problem can be found, for it may have been reported by others, or may turn up for future sales. But nope, zero interest. Absolutely zero.

One thing I've concluded, most if not all the US tuning shops, at least the people who do audi, are very tiny: one or two key person operations. With kiddies throwing money at them, the secretive nature of it all, the issue of warranty and audi, and customer reluctance to discuss warranty breaking mods online, i think they don't have high quality-and-customer-service bars to clear each week, in order to stay in business.

nyrs6
September 10th, 2004, 04:25
what did you run the 1/4 mile?

mr.zeke
September 10th, 2004, 04:36
13.5 106 it was two weeks ago really hot and humid at lebanon valley

nyrs6
September 10th, 2004, 04:44
and what was stock?

mr.zeke
September 10th, 2004, 04:47
that was stock, im getting my ecu and tcu back from stratmosphere tomorrow am, that chip is for full milltek exhaust but i wont have that for a week or two

nyrs6
September 10th, 2004, 05:46
Are you getting down pipes with that?

I ment rs6_newyork

What did you run?

mr.zeke
September 10th, 2004, 14:19
yes down pipes ,cats, everything. i see that oct has a full set up with turbos and all , have you researched it? how fast is it?

nyrs6
September 10th, 2004, 19:24
Originally posted by mr.zeke
yes down pipes ,cats, everything. i see that oct has a full set up with turbos and all , have you researched it? how fast is it?

Chip, exhaust and dps should be plenty of power.

I dont think you need to change the turbos. Unless you want a race car. I would say with the whole setup without new turbos, Would brake 11s which is pretty good.

Do you really need faster? :eye:

First try the chip and full exhaust and if you need more power. Then i guess change the turbos and intercoolers.

also the current tranny cant hold all the power of the turbos.

I dont know how fast it is. But it should add some power, I would think.

Thats my opinion :rs6kiss: