PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on transferring a lease?

eph94
September 7th, 2004, 20:24
I just posted this on AW, but I know a lot you guys don't read that forum, so here goes...

I'm exploring the possibility of getting out my lease. Normally, I would be SOL, but I think putting down $16000 at lease inception for cap cost reduction helps my "tradability" a bit. The adjusted cap cost was $71800 with a residual value of $42000. My lease ends in November 2006 so I have 26 months remaining on it. My base payment is $990 plus MA sales/use tax of $50 for a total of $1040 each month. I also have the Audi winter tire package that has the Audi 5-spoke 18" wheels and Dunlop Wintersport M3s that I would throw in, plus the Audi base carrier bars and an aluminum luggage rack. The car has about 13,000 miles on it with the 7,000 miles on OE front brake pads and a new set (still in the box) of Pagid Blue front pads. It will need new summer tires soon.

I'm thinking of listing it on www.leasetrading.com. Anybody hear anything about that company?

OR, I could just keep the car. I know it's foolish financially given the money I put down for cap cost reduction, but I think I want a smaller/lighter car. I'm conflicted.

Am I nuts to even think about this??

rs6_newyork
September 7th, 2004, 21:00
have you tried http://www.swapalease.com

nene
September 7th, 2004, 22:58
I would think that if you go with another Audi at the same dealership, or even another dealership, you might get lucky.

I've leased 2 cars in my life, with 1 currently still in my possession. I've never tried to get out of one, so I really can't be of much help, but I would assume that the folks you got your lease from could be of most assistance on this. Don't forget to post what you find.

eph94
September 8th, 2004, 03:10
I guess I'm not even that "motivated" to move the lease, especially going to a dealership where they are going to try to rip me off. I just wanted to dip my toes in the water to see if there was a market out there for someone who would want to assume 2 years of a lease where the original lessee put down a significant cap cost reduction and thereby also assume that benefit.

It appears from the responses I have received thus far, there isn't a clear market for it and I'm certainly not going to try to "make" a market. I'd rather do nothing and enjoy the Beast.

:rs6kiss:

Joe

CarbonFibre
September 8th, 2004, 08:49
Why do you want to dump the car anyway?

eph94
September 8th, 2004, 13:47
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
Why do you want to dump the car anyway?

I love the car but (at least in my mind) it's turning less-and-less into a daily driver than it is a "third" car. I put over 10K miles on it from August 2003 through March 2004. But since April this year, I have only put around 2.5K miles on it--and that includes a round trip to the Laurentian Mountains north of Montreal from the Boston area. I haven't been driving it much in order to "save" the wear components like rotors, tires, and brake pads. Even with the limited around-the-town driving this spring and summer, I went through a set of tires in 8 track days ($1,000) and a set of brake pads ($500). As a result, I've been using our MINI pretty much as my commuter car. The RS6 has turned into a weekend driver/garage queen.

One way to solve this "problem" is to put the RS6 into semi-retirement in terms of driving schools, maybe just running it with the local Audi club, and then use the MINI for the majority of the driving schools. If I do that and start driving the RS6 more on a daily basis, then it will make more sense for me to keep it. But then I'm stuck with a 115HP MINI CVT as a track car. Blah! The wife said that she likes the "look" of the E46 M3 cabriolet, which could potentially replace the MINI, but it's not the coupe she wants--and the cab is not acceptable for the track, unless I made modifications to it (i.e. ugly roll bars) which would be unacceptable to her.

Guess I'll be sticking with what I have for now--and that's not necessarily a bad thing!