PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need some advice on brakes...

JA
August 30th, 2004, 19:04
It seems that when I drive my RS6 aggressively - highway driving, for example, or just faster speeds on twisty roads in which a fair amount of braking is involved - my brakes make a noise which seems to go well beyond the squeaking or squealing noise I have come to accept with the stock RS6 brakes.

As an example, if I've been doing some faster, more aggressive driving, and then I slow down to normal city-type driving, I get a loud noise when I brake into a stoplight, for example. It's the kind of noise that attracts attention and would make me think if I heard it that the guy had a problem with his car.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone here who has had similar noise.

I recently had my dealer take a look when I had the car in for the recall, but they said everything was fine and safe with the brakes, and that they were working as they should. I realized afterward that this is probably because the car was not "hot" from faster driving when they looked the brakes over.

Thanks very much in advance.

GmbHouse
August 30th, 2004, 19:11
Is it a grinding sound?

JA
August 30th, 2004, 19:25
...it doesn't sound like a grinding noise. It's more like a very loud, high-pitched squeal...

nene
August 30th, 2004, 19:43
Sounds normal. I noticed that the hotter my brakes get, the louder the squealing.

I figured my old S4 squealed less because it was small piggie. The RS6 squeals more, because it's large piggie.

It's really painful, as I find myself clinching my teeth when it happens. Must break the pattern.

JA
August 30th, 2004, 19:49
Do you know if there is some aftermarket upgrade I can do which would make it go away? Assuming I wouldn't void my warranty? Thanks in advance.

TaTaPiRaTa
August 30th, 2004, 20:02
I just changed standard rotors (in Europe) which were quiet to ones with holes and the squeal started to appear as you describe.

eph94
August 30th, 2004, 22:29
Originally posted by JA
As an example, if I've been doing some faster, more aggressive driving, and then I slow down to normal city-type driving, I get a loud noise when I brake into a stoplight, for example. It's the kind of noise that attracts attention and would make me think if I heard it that the guy had a problem with his car.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone here who has had similar noise.

I concur with others who report that it happens to them, especially as the brakes get hotter. When REALLY hot, my brakes sounds like a referee is blowing a whistle. In fact, the first time this happened, it was at NHIS. I was flying down the front straight and braking hard to prepare to enter the South Chicane. Suddenly there was a LOUD whistling sound. I immediately looked at the flag station because my first reaction was I thought I was getting black flagged for something but it must have been SO BAD that the flagger was blowing a whistle at me!!

Now this happened with aftermarket Pagid Grey pads, but similar sounds come out of the OE pads, which are also made by Pagid.

I think I remember reading in another thread on brakes here that the squealing is a result of the higher metallic content in the brake pads used for the RS6. Admittedly, it can be a little embarassing to pull into a gas station when the brakes are especially loud, so I am now an opportunist who refills his gas tank when his brakes are having a "low squeal" day.

7:53 RS6
August 30th, 2004, 23:22
This is always happens after track days or inspierd driving. A few days later whit normal driving and its gone. Have stock pads on.

I guess im a pervert but i like it when it sounds. Hell only for the reason i could put on pagid gres like JJV. To se the looks of peopels face driving my Avant sounding like a train at my golf club:D :D