PDA

View Full Version : GIAC Tip chip INSTALLED

NWRS6
August 28th, 2004, 01:40
Hi All:

Just installed the GIAC tip chip.

Initial Observations:

The car shifts quicker: from 1sec (stock) down to .2sec (GIAC)

The car does not seem to "bog" like before. In fact, although the power has not changed, the car "feels" more powerful. I like it.

I am going to monitor it for 2 weeks. If all goes well, I will upgrade the ECU to match: 520 hp and 520 ft/lb torque.....AWESOME.

rs6_newyork
August 28th, 2004, 03:48
Do you mean up-shift or down-shift speeds? or both?

I supposedly have it as well, and honestly felt no difference in shift speed.

Where is the TCM located? do you or anyone know? I'd like to check whether it has been touched..

nene
August 28th, 2004, 04:46
Here's how you remove the Tip ECU (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng38.shtml)

rs6_newyork
August 28th, 2004, 04:52
you know, i searched my ass off and never found that tech note, thanks!

I've either got a GIAC tip chip that is doing SFA (noticed NO difference post install, certainly the glowing review at the beginning of this topic should be blindingly obvious) or I've not got a GIAC tip chip, and am going to become very mad with someone.

NWRS6
August 28th, 2004, 05:07
For the money ($595), I think it is comparatively worth it since all of us have spent quite a bit to get the RS6 ($80,000+).

What I really did not like about the RS6 was the transmission seemed slow to react - downshift and upshift during aggressive driving. Also, there seemed to be a lag between gears as well.

I am happy with the tip chip because it has helped to addressed the above mentioned "faults" and I was not expecting a night/day difference. I got what I paid for.

The biggest change in performance will come with the ECU upgrade. Will update you all on that later.

rs6_newyork
August 28th, 2004, 05:27
I am happy with the tip chip because it has helped to addressed the above mentioned "faults" and I was not expecting a night/day difference. I got what I paid for. You mention above that shifts that took 1 second now take 1/5th of that time.. I'd say that was "night and day". Unfortunately in my experiments, whether under full throttle or not, up or down, the shift speed change from giac, if any, was not noticeable.

A sales person for OCT said at waterfest that downshifts are "blam blam blam" after the OCT tip chip. I'm not getting any "blam blam". Maybe OCT users report "blam blam".

I have a g-tech plot showing full throttle changes during a 1/4 mile and overlaying that graph (of g-force) on top of the same thing prior to giac tip chip, showed no difference. The "wave" was the same duration, about half a second per shift.

So you must be either very sensitive to any improvement in shift change speed or my 595 didn't buy what yours did ...

audirs6sport
August 28th, 2004, 05:31
anyone tried the MTM tipchip?

NWRS6
August 28th, 2004, 06:23
I noticed that you too have an RS6 and 911 Turbo.

What are your opinions between the 2 cars?

In regards to your post rs6_newyork, I am pretty sensitive to any changes in any of my cars.

ie. When my 996TT seemed slightly slower, turned out it was a faulty DV. I also noticed a difference when I went from a 27lb wheel to a 23 lb wheel etc etc.

You are right though, I do not feel any blam blam changes. To me, the tip chip made the car "feel" more responsive and quicker -that's good enough for me.

OR....lol.....it could all be in my head.

audirs6sport
August 29th, 2004, 23:59
For daily driven, I would prefer the rs6 because it's got an autogear box, manual tranny is PITA if you're stuck in the LA TRAFFIC!!!! Both have it's downs and ups. RS6 tends to feel more comfy cruiser type, while 911 turbo obviously offers more edgy feeling to the driver. Least that's how i feel. =) Both are great cars, I just wish they each had a slightly bigger displacement directly from the manufacturer. =( Acutally, the reason why I ended up with both cars is because I couldn't decide LOL. How about you?

:) :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

NWRS6
August 30th, 2004, 00:05
Exactly how I feel - can't decide between the 2. The RS6 is great daily driver since it's an auto. The 996TT is a great track tool and perfect for some very aggesive driving.

I try to drive both of them every day. RS6 for longer trips and 996TT for the heck of it.

What I really want is for Porsche to make a 4-door turbo sedan. But for now, the RS6 is the closest thig to 4-door Porsche. The Cayenne Turbo just doesn't do it for me.

Here's a pic of my 3 cars side by side.

nyrs6
August 30th, 2004, 03:46
Originally posted by rs6_newyork
You mention above that shifts that took 1 second now take 1/5th of that time.. I'd say that was "night and day". Unfortunately in my experiments, whether under full throttle or not, up or down, the shift speed change from giac, if any, was not noticeable.

A sales person for OCT said at waterfest that downshifts are "blam blam blam" after the OCT tip chip. I'm not getting any "blam blam". Maybe OCT users report "blam blam".

I have a g-tech plot showing full throttle changes during a 1/4 mile and overlaying that graph (of g-force) on top of the same thing prior to giac tip chip, showed no difference. The "wave" was the same duration, about half a second per shift.

So you must be either very sensitive to any improvement in shift change speed or my 595 didn't buy what yours did ...

The OCT chip did bang when downshifting ONLY for the first few days. After that it totaly went away.(probably because it had to rgister into the computer)

I dont know about GIAC, but if youre into taking the beast to the drag strip, the OCT now can be launched with no problem taking away 2/10 from the quarter mile. It used to be you cant hold the torque conv past 1900 rpm and it wouldnt hold it would go up and down. But now it goes all the way up to 2500rpm and holds. We even got the tires to chirp on a cool day. So it does defintley makes a difference. And does shift a little later and faster.