PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Side Small Speaker

JKN
August 23rd, 2004, 19:22
There is a very small speaker on the column between the front and rear passenger side (my wheel is on left side).. I have noticed a audible "hiss" from the speaker even when my stereo is off.

Is this the short that others have been mentioning that kills the On Star battery?

The speaker remains powered with a loud "hiss" until about 10 seconds after I power off vehicle......

:vhmmm:

Hy Octane
August 23rd, 2004, 20:37
Sounds like you have the Onstar hiss.. Tell your service manager about it and have him order you a 2004 unit replacement,. I just dropped mine off at the dealer to have this and 5000k service done. In the meantime, is your onstar phone working when you hear the hiss? ( in other words, when you hit the phone button, is there any response or is there silence?) if not, press the red dot button and see if this cancels the hiss. HTH..

Aronis
August 23rd, 2004, 20:58
What's this about the 2004 unit? Have they actually come up with a fix for the Red Light Nightmare????

Great!!

I left mine Red and have been waiting for the definative repair AND the long awaited Audi RECALL on the On-Star...

Now the On-Star bastards are dropping coverage for the non-digital systems once the network goes fully Digital, thus it would be better if when you have it changed that you wait for a digital compatible on-star unit to come into existance....

Mike

nene
August 24th, 2004, 00:44
I had same issue when my On-Star light was red. Took it to dealership, and noise has not come back since.
Also, the On-Star now is always green. Hasn't gone bad in quite sometime, which is good, since my On-Star account is gone!

Hy Octane
August 24th, 2004, 02:04
Aronis.. I posted this somewhere else.. but to summarize, Onstar acknowledges the defect in the 2003 units and says the only fix is to install an updated brain. As it happens, they have also modified this 2004 unit to be able to be used with the digital system when the changeover happens. So, you wont have to buy a new unit if you can get this one changed for free now. HTH..

sturs6
August 24th, 2004, 02:18
I love these posts. OnStar is my dark enemy. Just for giggles I will say that I do not believe the 2004 OnStar Unit will make a difference if your car is as stubborn as mine. I have a new 2004 unit now which by the way if you are not following the OnStar Red Light (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2334) thread my light has turned red again for the sixth time. I am also on my third control module in 11 months time. In reference to the hiss... the hiss comes and the hiss goes like the red light and it also comes and goes with the red light. I told the service manager the light would be red in two months he asked why I said because the "B"Pillar passenger side speaker is hissing again and now August 19 it had in fact failed. The cost of the unit is $1,259.00 and then $145.00 for the battery.

Best of luck to you with the Hiss:thumb:
-Stuart