PDA

View Full Version : Trick needed for adding brake fluid??

eph94
August 22nd, 2004, 22:54
I just swapped out a set of worn brake pads and now I'm getting the brake warning light and comensurate beeping. I checked the brake fluid resevoir and it is filled well above the minimum fluid level.

I figured that I would add a little more fluid since I've read that the low-fluid sensor in the RS6 is notoriously set above the minimum brake fluid level marker. My problem is that I can't get the darn resevoir to take any fluid. There seems to be some kind of check valve (or something) that is stopping the fluid from going in. I've tried everything from opening and closing that little screw "vent" (or whatever it is) on the top of the resevoir to feeling around the filler hole in attempt to get the resevoir to take the fluid. I've also pumped the brake pedal hoping it would possibly draw in the fluid. Nothing seems to work.

Has anyone ever had this experience and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

Joe

eph94
August 23rd, 2004, 00:53
Other than "low" brake fluid, is there any other reason for the brake warning light to be flashing and beeping? It looks like that I physically can't add any more fluid. I'm wondering if I should just get the whole system flushed (last flush was done 4 months ago) and this might possible solve the problem.

I took the car for a careful drive and the brakes are working fine.

JP4
August 23rd, 2004, 02:08
When you replaced the pads did you reconnect the brake pad sensor?

If you did not reconnect the brak e pad sensor, the brake warning light will illuminate. If the new pads that you used do not have a sensor wire/connector then you need to put a jumper in the socket that the sensor would normally plug into to keep the brake warning light from illuminating.

PS...the sensors or on the front pads only.

eph94
August 23rd, 2004, 02:58
Originally posted by JP4
If you did not reconnect the brake pad sensor, the brake warning light will illuminate. If the new pads that you used do not have a sensor wire/connector then you need to put a jumper in the socket that the sensor would normally plug into to keep the brake warning light from illuminating.

Unfortunately, it's not the brake pad warning light (the one that is a circular symbol) that appears in the middle of the instrument cluster that is going off. I already disabled the brake pad wear sensor wires during the last brake pad swap. It is the brake warning light that flashes the word "BRAKE" in the middle of the speedometer, which typically signifies low brake fluid. :vhmmm:

Joe

gjg
August 23rd, 2004, 05:37
could be the power streering fluid level .....

eph94
August 24th, 2004, 20:56
Mechanically, the brakes feel and look fine, but I'm still getting the flashing "BRAKE" warning light. Apparently, when we get that flashing warning light, we're supposed to stop driving the car and have it towed to the nearest dealer. I dropped it off this morning and will report back once I get any feedback.

eph94
August 26th, 2004, 21:08
Just another update for those who care.

ATE Super Blue has been known to cause weird things to happen in late model Audis, especially in the B5 A4/S4 models. There are numerous threads on Audiworld that discuss the problems ad infinitum.

ATE Super Blue may or may not have been the cause of my malfunctioning sensor, but in the future I'm going to err on the side of caution. Given its checkered history in other Audis, I'm going to stay away from ATE Super Blue in the future. Other DOT 4 brake fluids, like Motul 600, have apparently worked fine without incident.

Also, if you use non-OE fluid and something like this happens, it's not covered under warranty. (No surprise there, I guess. :D )

Joe

7:53 RS6
August 26th, 2004, 21:49
Nice to hear, i just put in Motul 600