PDA

View Full Version : Rally Question?

RS4Ever
August 19th, 2004, 06:39
hey does anybody know why audi isnt back into rally racing?
it would be very nice to cheer them (a mod'ed S3 or RS4) on in the WRC.
I know that they stopped racing with ford once because the crowd was out of control, standing on the route.
you see clarkson from bbc's topgear comparing the S4's performance to an STI and an EVO.
is there some proposed plan for a future rally car?
:confused:

i tried to attach a clip of a show talking about rally cars and the S1 from a while ago.. the clip is about 11 mb. Most of you might have already seen this clip... its pretty impressive.

Nordschleife
August 19th, 2004, 08:43
Rallying is for cheap cars.

Look at the WRC entrants - Mitsubishi, Subaru, Ford, Citroen, Peugeot.

VAG is returning with a revised Skoda, previously it was too big (same platform as A3), and SEAT is doing quite well at the National level.

These days there is not much commonality between Audi customers and rallying. The die hard fans are young and not looking for a top of the line luxury car, many of them are 'anoraks' in their enthusiasm and would not be attracted to to the 'values' promoted by Audi.

the only country where young enthusiasts buy Audis on any scale is the US, which does not host a WRC round. All those guys sitting in darkened rooms driving WRC simulators is not very 'Audi'.

Audi pulled out of rallying because it was obvious that there were soon going to be some terrible fatalities. Presently, rallying is on the eve of something similar, if you watch what is happening, you will see the top drivers are less sideways, because this is faster, well its also a lot more dangerous and the drivers know this and have publicly made statements about the risk of serious accidents. Bad accidents in motorsport have strange effects - the Mercedes accidentat Le Mans in France caused Switzerland to ban motor racing. Portago's killed the Mille Miglia, for example.

R+C

RS4Ever
August 19th, 2004, 10:32
hmmm...

personally i love watching rally racing and i love audi .. i was thinkin it would be very cool to see them colaborated.

to me , audi should stay audi in a way... they invented the quattro which showed everyone else who "never follows."
only after audi interduced the 4wd then the japanese motor companies followed.
to me, audi is more than MB and BMW since it has the R8 for the fastest and the Champion RS6's annnnnnd (if they did) what they were good at as well ... rally.

after all (my opinion), its pretty cool watching a fast piece of machinery packed with mechanical technology fly by you on a dirt/gravel track while standing in between tall trees in the middle of no-where. However, it would be cooler if it were an audi.:race: