PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer

Qisha
August 18th, 2004, 18:58
Is anyone on the Board using a Turbo Timer ?
A couple of years ago i had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. Had to replace the Turbos twice because oil evaporated within the inlet lines. Any experiences with that regarding the RS6 ? Is there any need to let the Motor "cool down" before turning off ?

Bauer
August 18th, 2004, 19:40
I believe one member has, I think it was Aronis, but not sure. I just let the car sit for a while if had been running it hard. There is an after run feature on the car that when you shut the car down electric water pumps pump water the to the turbos to help them cool.

Cheers,

minimad
August 19th, 2004, 03:09
also you have to wait the timer fully stop to shut the door. So why don't you wait for a while before turning off.:vhmmm:

audirs6sport
August 19th, 2004, 08:13
the BEST thing to do is drive calm and gently for the last 2 or 3 miles before you plan on parking the car because not only will this cool off your turbo and the engine itself alot more effective, but also allows your rotors to be cooled. =)
:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

Bauer
August 19th, 2004, 17:04
just let the car sit for a while if had been running it hard

Sorry, I meant to say sit and idle while it cools off:rolleyes: I reread what I typed and realized it looked like I just shut the car off after running it hard. But I also agree with audirs6sport.....I do this on my way home.....figure the neighborhood wouldn't like me tearing through it a full throttle:hahahehe:

Aronis
August 20th, 2004, 19:06
Originally posted by Bauer
I believe one member has, I think it was Aronis, but not sure. I just let the car sit for a while if had been running it hard. There is an after run feature on the car that when you shut the car down electric water pumps pump water the to the turbos to help them cool.

Cheers,

Not me...LOL....

but the idea does sound interesting....gotta save those turbo's....

But a question: We have discussed letting it cool down after a hot run, but what does that really mean? If the oil temp is under 200 is that ok? Or does that really tell you that you did or not do a really hot run?

I drive really fast on the way home, last mile or so, before I get to my house and then drive into the garrage and turn it off. I don't think I really heat it up that much in a two minute fast run....

Turbo timers should have been included in the RS6 plus in my opinion, they can't be that expensive to add at the Factory.

Mike

gjg
August 20th, 2004, 19:17
you want to wait few (20-30) seconds to let the engine idle to make sure turbos stop before turning off the ignition and loosing oil presure.

I learned that hard way on my first S4 .....

:mech:

Aronis
August 21st, 2004, 15:59
do the turbos completely stop when you are idle? Gases are still flowing down exhaust, no?

Thanks,

Mike

rs6_newyork
August 21st, 2004, 19:44
Originally posted by gjg
you want to wait few (20-30) seconds to let the engine idle to make sure turbos stop before turning off the ignition and loosing oil presure.

I learned that hard way on my first S4 .....

:mech: The RS6 has an aux pump on a thermostat or timer that runs after engine off. Is it definitely a WATER pump or an OIL pump? it would make sense for it to be an oil pump. Either way it seems that that removes the need for a lot of concern over ending all trips by idling in a driveway for minutes ... ?

gnomik007
August 22nd, 2004, 20:28
I am using Blitz Turbo Timer,although I installed it just few weeks ago.It works perfect and lets u see boost in kPa.My MAX is 1.23 at the moment.Before I installed it I simply let the car run for 20-30 sec,but thought that 200 Euro investment in turbo gurd is more than ok.

gjg
August 23rd, 2004, 06:01
The RS6 has an aux pump on a thermostat or timer that runs after engine off. Is it definitely a WATER pump or an OIL pump?
Water

gjg
August 23rd, 2004, 06:06
do the turbos completely stop when you are idle? Gases are still flowing down exhaust, no?

I believe the idle exhaust gas flow is not enought to spin the turbo - you should have about 15-20 mm Hg vacuum at that point

alexo
December 19th, 2008, 02:05
Anyone installed turbo timers? where did you locate it? would it do the job of cooling down or is it better to turn the engine off after 5 mins after stopping?

Anybody installed a boost gauge? What places did you locate it?

DHall1
December 19th, 2008, 05:21
Well,

Since this thread was dug up.

Mike-think about this. If you had an EGT (Exhaust gas temp) gauge on both turbos. Here is what you would see.

Driving home that last mile or so....depending on the speeds >70mph you may be seeing 1300+ degree temps out of the turbo. Give me 1 minute and I can make any turbo glow like the reactor in the Chernobyl meltdown. Now, where does that heat go? Out the exhaust...sure....but also it heats up the manifold and turbo housings. Do the housings glow red....pretty close if you could see them. So, are you all with me here? You pull in the garage and shut the car off. Where does all this heat go? It soaks into all the metal castings and then its a matter of heat transfer into the outside air. What else can we do....well Audi runs that coolant pump that allows engine coolant to run thru the turbos...that will allow some heat transfer into the engine coolant as well.

The problem here is that the engine oil is just sitting on those turbo bearings. No flow of engine oil in the above situation thus it bakes the engine oil onto the turbo bearings. Now this does not happen all at once but just like clogged arteries over time it plugs up the flow. Then all at once.....BANG!!!!!!.....the artery is blocked. We all know what happens after that. :eek:

So, long story short. Audi did build in a nice system to pump coolant thru the turbos after shut off. It helps. But, if those turbos are glowing red...you can put 2 and 2 together. Take it easy that last couple of miles or just sit there for a few minutes after a hard run. Thats all.

Not me...LOL....

but the idea does sound interesting....gotta save those turbo's....

But a question: We have discussed letting it cool down after a hot run, but what does that really mean? If the oil temp is under 200 is that ok? Or does that really tell you that you did or not do a really hot run?

I drive really fast on the way home, last mile or so, before I get to my house and then drive into the garrage and turn it off. I don't think I really heat it up that much in a two minute fast run....

Turbo timers should have been included in the RS6 plus in my opinion, they can't be that expensive to add at the Factory.

Mike

snoopra
December 19th, 2008, 22:24
Is anyone on the Board using a Turbo Timer ?
A couple of years ago i had a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. Had to replace the Turbos twice because oil evaporated within the inlet lines. Any experiences with that regarding the RS6 ? Is there any need to let the Motor "cool down" before turning off ?
Guys, our cars (Audi's) are very complex electronically. The only way a turbo timer will operate properly on Audi's is with the addition of a "turbo timer companion". this device takes over AFTER the turbo timer shuts down and rolls up windows, sunroof and then locks the car. If you really don't have the time to let the car idle for a few minutes, then this is the only way it'll work properly. Like Dhall1 said, just drive normal the last mile home and you'll be OK:thumb: . Here's a link to the site. http://www.turbotimercompanion.com/