PDA

View Full Version : Audi production quality: the glass is definitely half full

tailpipe
August 17th, 2004, 13:17
I have read on this website many complaints about problems that membersd have had with quality and things not being as they should be. As someone who owns both a BMW (M3) and an Audi (A2), I'd like to go on record as saying that whatever gremlins have afflicted the S4 and other Audi models, they are nothing compared to the appaliing standards and poor build quality currently afflicting BMW M3 owners. You'd think a car costing well north of €65,000 in the UK would be perfect. So far I've made 3 warranty claims. Injectors on engine went after 6,000 miles, driver's door lock broke after 9,000 and then at 12,000 miles the stereo no longer worked. Many of the interior plastics are showing signs of wear while the leather looks like it's five years old instead of two. SMG owners have had theirs recalled at least twice for new software downloads to be fitted. And now anyone who bought and M3 before July last year is having their car recalled to have a major problem with the engine fixed. In some cases BMW will need to fit new engines. In all cases, the cars will need to be run in again.

My Audi has been absolutely thrashed by my wife, trashed by my kids and driven like an M3 by be. It's a great car. It still feels brand new. Unlike the BMW, nothing rattles or sqeaks. Friends with S4s (2) and RS6s (3) report no problems whatsoever.

So while I realise that even Audi is less than perfect, there is a gulf between Audi and BMW. When it comews to replacing my M3, there are no prizes for guessing what car I've ordered.

:rs4addict

Erik
August 17th, 2004, 13:23
You're probably the first to compare an M3 with an A2, but I understand :)

Here's the worst problem with the M3 I think...

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

plus
August 17th, 2004, 13:44
Hello Tailpipe,

what part of london are you from? I will look out for a rattly, noisy engined M3 and give you a wave!

:addict:

gjg
August 17th, 2004, 13:49
no need to wave, just the sight of your exhaust pipes would do the trick ..... :D

tailpipe
August 17th, 2004, 15:55
And that's another thing. Other motoriists seem to like Audi drivers. They let you in when queuing in traffic, wave, smile and generally make you feel good about being on the same piece of road. Not when I'm in a BMW. taxi drivers, especailly in Central London, cut you up. Other motorists seem to hate BMW drivers.

Audihead
August 17th, 2004, 16:26
It's like the old joke: What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? With the BMW the pricks are on the inside.

:s4addict: -Audihead

RS4Ever
August 18th, 2004, 02:40
i think that this article (click on the link below) was once posted already on this site or maybe i read it on another... check it out.

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=2964&categoryId=1

and if your not familiar with www.autospies.com then you should check it out.. very cool site.

gazzab
February 26th, 2006, 21:07
Originally posted by Audihead
It's like the old joke: What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? With the BMW the pricks are on the inside.

Audihead, I have been trawling the old posts, this made me chuckle and is so appropriate.

Gazzab

Benman
February 27th, 2006, 16:01
Originally posted by Audihead

:applause: :thumb:

Ben:addict:

Ruergard
February 27th, 2006, 17:49
Audi = :heart: