PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear Experience?

MarkeRS6
August 16th, 2004, 22:11
After just 12k miles, I must replace my OEM 255/40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 9000s due to inner-edge wear and "cupping".

This seems very premature to me as I'm not an aggressive driver, have not tracked my RS6, and have been prudent in maintaining recommended tire pressure and rotation schedule.

My dealer believes 10 to 15k miles is to be expected due to the RS6's suspension. I'm not so sure.

I'd appreciate your feedback and tire wear experience.

Thanks - Mark in Phoenix

JAXRS6
August 17th, 2004, 00:29
Try the link below for starters. Luke@tirerack ultimately saw the photo shown & called back to say the problem was "too much negative camber." I now have new Pirellis on & did alignment, which was off but not by a lot. The Audi tech thought the misalignment was NOT enough, by itself, to explain the wear shown.

http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/7286.phtml

sturs6
August 17th, 2004, 02:29
I got 18,000 miles out of my Dunlop's but they had the same problem and I did not notice it until they came off. I have PS2's we will see what happens with them and I am going to get the dealer to do an alignment when I go in for service next month that is just another thing to add to the list.

gjg
August 17th, 2004, 05:58
did alignment, which was off but not by a lot. The Audi tech thought the misalignment was NOT enough, by itself, to explain the wear shown

JAX, the dealer is pretty much full of it - off but not a lot will do to the tire exactly as you see it ..... Audi tech should take a class on alignment and effects on tires ... :doh:

did they pay for the service under warranty?

gg

:mech:

JAXRS6
August 17th, 2004, 06:54
Originally posted by gjg
JAX, did they pay for the service under warranty?

No, because the mutual understanding from the start was that it's not covered under warranty -- and technically, it is not. But it IS covered under Audi Assurance, the separate program that pays for oil changes etc. which are not warranty issues. So, I raised the Audi Assurance issue today (Mon) when dealer called to ask how things were going; service writer is supposed to get back to me, hopefully with a refund. Stay tuned.

gjg
August 17th, 2004, 07:37
sorry - I meant the 3 or 4 year or whatever it is maintenance program. AOA did cover alignments on my S6 for duration - at least my dealer did not charge a penny for it for three years and they did it twice a year - spring and fall.

gg

Erik
August 17th, 2004, 10:14
A friend's RS6 was one of the first wiht sports susp. and came with completly wrong settings. The tires were "gone" in no time but Audi gave him new tires and changed the setting so now there are no wear problems.

avdh
August 17th, 2004, 10:55
My RS6 came with totally wrong alignement from the factory. Fortunately I checked it and had it corrected early enough and no damage was done.

Otherwise the inner thread of the tyres would have not lasted very long.

Ditto for our first S3.

Benman
August 18th, 2004, 16:23
MarkeRS6,

As Jax says that link disscusses at length the issue. From my own experience your wear is not normal at at. I AM a VERY agressive driver (LOTS of back road weekends!) with driver events as well and still got over 15K. Considering how I drive the Beast I thought that was pretty good. If you're not that agressive than you shouls be good for 20+ as Jax was able to get that out of his Pirellis.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Finnus
August 18th, 2004, 18:12
I had to replace my 2 rear tires only at 15,000 miles - does that seem unusual? It did to me.

Finnus

:addict:

JP4
August 20th, 2004, 06:17
Originally posted by Finnus
I had to replace my 2 rear tires only at 15,000 miles - does that seem unusual? It did to me.

Finnus

Yes....that seems very unusual to me too. Assuming that those rear tires were ON the rear most of the time and proper rotations were not done....the fronts will normally wear down unevenly/faster than the rears since that is where most of the weight and relative stress from cornering occurs.

Benman
August 21st, 2004, 22:11
Originally posted by Finnus

Finnus

Finnus:cheers:

Just depends. As I posted I changed mine around the same mileage (but that was due mostly to my driving style:incar: :D ). I will say that the wear was very even across all four tires.

If you don't drive that agressive than 20K should seem more like it.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

TheBrit
August 22nd, 2004, 00:32
Hmm, my first set of P Zeros went in 7000 miles and I tend to get about 11-12k out of a set of CSC2s. Different driving style on the roads here perhaps?

Benman
August 23rd, 2004, 21:11
Originally posted by TheBrit
Hmm, my first set of P Zeros went in 7000 miles and I tend to get about 11-12k out of a set of CSC2s. Different driving style on the roads here perhaps?
I hear you roads are pretty darn bad so sounds about right:D

MarkeRS6
August 24th, 2004, 22:35
avdh,

Can you post the factory specified alignment specs? Are they same for left and right-side steering?