PDA

View Full Version : MTM Downpipe

keo
August 16th, 2004, 06:22
Hello everyone,
Just thought to share my experience and hearing from anyone's friendy advice. Got my stage 3 MTM package install last week. (include fuel pump, strengthen piping, down pipe and revise upgrade on engine and tranny chips). Run the car Saturday and Sunday great feeling on the power, especially the mid range from 120km-220km. Really felt the different, pulls away with torque feeling instead like stable climbing (stock) from 150km-200km if you know what I mean. I had my friend in back of me driving his M3. He later told me it like two different animal running together. Now, the only concern I have is that will the transmission hold it reliablity with such increase torque.

One question if anyone can suggest to me is highly appreciate. During this modification I have also change 4 Gmbh springs which was use on the rs6 plus and my car is now lower about 10-15mm. But because of the changing down pipe has much bigger diameter catalytic converters. I scratch the converters everytime going into the basement parking lot. I am now really umcomfortable with this issue. I will go to the shop this week and talk to the technician to see if we can correct this problem.....:rs6kiss:

Nordschleife
August 16th, 2004, 07:35
Originally posted by keo
One question if anyone can suggest to me is highly appreciate. During this modification I have also change 4 Gmbh springs which was use on the rs6 plus and my car is now lower about 10-15mm. But because of the changing down pipe has much bigger diameter catalytic converters. I scratch the converters everytime going into the basement parking lot. I am now really umcomfortable with this issue. I will go to the shop this week and talk to the technician to see if we can correct this problem.....:rs6kiss:

Problem solved:

http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/productnews/dual_ride_height_system.pdf

R+C

Erik
August 16th, 2004, 09:15
Ohlins are based quite close to were I live.

Rs6s4
August 16th, 2004, 10:34
keo, Congratulations for ur new mods.

I was wondering what other parts are MUST with the DownPipes
or there is no harm in just fitting the downpipes alone?

Do I need to reconfigure the Chip setting as well?

I do appreciate any help.

keo
August 16th, 2004, 11:42
First, thanks for the suggestion on the ohlins Nordschleife. However, if adjusting the height of the car is the only answer I will probably change back to my original springs. Since I don't do any track racing over here. I lower it basically for the look. For MTM package it comes with all detail and parts on each stage. The computer chip has been uggrade according to the authorize MTM shop. So if you do have any question regarding to the MTM setup for each individual stage. You can contact them through the website. If you have serious problem I will ask the technician that set up my car. He is very good on this auto things.......

TaTaPiRaTa
August 19th, 2004, 20:12
Keo !

Stage 3 lots of questions for you ;)

Did you get new catalysts as well?

I'm looking at stage 1 or 2 or 3 upgrade right now.

Can you please tell the difference between 2 and 3; was it worth the money?

Can you please tell the difference in audio perspective only between stock and stage 2. I'm not a fan of quad pipes but I haven't heard ever the sound of other than normal stock exhaust. I'm looking for something more aggresive but only when pushed to the limit, not to became a poser when slow/urban driving....

I'm also considering to get lower stage upgrade next month and higher stage next year to have more fun .... Did it work with you or you recomend jumping to stage 3 from the begining?

Are you noticing any temperature rised when hard driving - at previous stage and now after third one?
Are you considering to add extra radiators coming form RS6plus? (see: http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3945)

thx a lot. I'm sure it will be interesting to many of us and could answer many topics in different posts.
:rs6kiss: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

keo
August 20th, 2004, 10:41
TTPRT,

First, to answer your question, yes the catalysts has been change at stage 3. I have the same thought as you whether it is worth it when I decided to go for MTM upgrade. For myself I appreciate the stage 2 (include quad pipe, fuel regulator cpu & trany 508hp). You will definitely felt the different at this stage compare to stock. I always feel the rs6 (stock) response not quick enough compare to e55. Honestly, the turbo lag exsist not like some magazine describe cannot really feel any turbo lag on the rs6. Once at this stage you will feel the car response way much better than stock. I decided to change to stage 3 with the down pipe after driving stage 2 for 3 months. Due to that I feel if the car breath better it should be more liable. According to the MTM technician with this change of down pipe it should reduce the thermo heat for the turbo and the engine itself. Since only 25+hp has increase with this change. I think it does make since. Although it cost pretty much for just 2 down pipe if come to think about it. (part I) got to go now get back on this subject again shortly.......someone will kill me if i am still on this computer...:bye:

nyrs6
August 20th, 2004, 15:02
Keo

did or are you planning on getting youre car dynoed?

Also did you feel the difference between stage II and III?

Also can you show us some pics of the car lowered? :D

Thanks

keo
August 20th, 2004, 16:01
Continue (part II)

Honestly after the conversion of stage 3. Right away I felt the different not in performance wise. But that the engine response different when start. Especially when you shift from P to D the rpm of the engine tends to move to around 1200rpm and come down to the idle rpm which is around 750rpm. Before at stage 2 when you shift from P to D the rpm never move up than down to idle. But this situation got clear after 2 days of driving. I guess the computer tends to adjust itself. On the third day it feel just perfect. The car is smooth just like before at stage 2. Not to be bias about telling how good the car is. This is only my personnal feeling about the car. From stock to stage 2 you can really feel the performance all around from throttle response to top end. But after stage 3 the only different i can felt is from 100km-220km pulls harder than before. The car breath better and you can really felt the torque. I am now very comfortable chasing my friend's e55 it was never this easy when my rs6 is stock.

nyrs6, in Taiwan there are no qualified dyno for 4 wheel drive. If I found one I will go have it dyno.

I will take some pictures next week and post it. :addict:

Rs6s4
August 20th, 2004, 21:26
then I guess I need to get intouch with the ABT ppl about the resetting.

thanx Keo, and enjoy ur new modifications.