PDA

View Full Version : RS6 plus -> why 480 BHP and 280km/H

Qisha
August 14th, 2004, 19:56
What do you think why Audi raised the Power "just" up to 480 BHP instead of going for 500 BHP like most of the Tuners ? Why "just" 280 KM/H not 300 KM/H ?

MTM, Oettinger, ABT and BB all raise the torque.

MTM: 690NM
Oettinger: 670NM
ABT: 630NM
BB: 610NM

So around 600NM is possibly no problem...

ABT once told me that they had Problems with the Oil Temperature on the rear axle, occuring while driving at speeds greater 280 km/h for quite a time.
ABT still overs to raise the standard speed limit from 250 km/h to 280 km/h.

BUT

ABT seems to be the only Tuner that goes for that limit.

Nordschleife
August 14th, 2004, 20:02
It is not in Audi's interest to compete with its tuners, so they do not match what the tuners offer.

The problem with the transmission overheating under sustained running at speeeds in excess of 280 kph ws well known from the outset. there was a batch of cars which used an insulating glue to attach the heatsink to the rear transmission, so the heatsink did not work, but the glue melted.

For sustained running at over 300 kph, it is best to duct extra air to the differential.

R+C

Dark Knight
August 14th, 2004, 21:14
Qisha -

it's heat, like Nordschleife wrote, that's the problem. The Plus has quite a bit of work done to it to increase cooling. I'd imagine the tranny at sustained 160+ mph would begin complaining, although many tuners and their customers have had cars well above that for long runs and we don't hear many cases of tranny failure . . . time will tell.

I have the O.CT engine/tranny chip in my RS6. So far I've had the car at 185mph here in the U.S., it wasn't sustained, maybe a min, (ran out of road!!). I'm planning on a top speed run one early morning in Sept when the air is a little cooler (more juice from the turbo's), my co-driver will be taking at least a picture hopefully some video as we shoot for the redline target (which is 200 rpm higher than stock), I'm hoping to see just over 190mph on the speedometer, apparently O.CT doesn't restrict the speed but some tuners do; I believe GIAC restricts the car to 190mph.

Qisha
August 14th, 2004, 21:26
Thats about the same problem with the Viper. Running the Viper >200 kph for a longer time will lead to a transmission oil temperature in a critical range.
Thats why most of the transmissions die within the german area, Autobahn speeding without taking care about the cooling.
To handle this problem, a special oil cooler system with an oilpump, an oil cooler, a electrical fan, a thermal switch, oil hoses and wires is available:

http://www3.websale.net/$WS/geigercars/websale-geigercars/product-img/detail/gtsachskuehler_.jpg

This set keeps the temperature under 100°C.

What can you recommend for the RS6 ?

Nordschleife
August 15th, 2004, 06:51
Qisha
Go talk to Michael Weber, he knows about the problems with the gearbox and rear differential.
R+C