PDA

View Full Version : New Movit Brakes

Qisha
August 13th, 2004, 19:40
Talked to Guido Frensemeyer (Owner of Movit) today, he offered me a new Brake Setup for the RS6. Details:

Front: 370x35mm, Caliper: 6 Piston 6S1 Billet, Pad Size 115,5 cm2
Rear: 350x28mm, Caliper: 4 Piston 4S1 Billet, Pad Size 79,5 cm2

This is by far the best (on Paper, until tested) what you can buy.
Another good thing about the Setup, the 18" Winter Wheels still fit. What is a problem with the 380mm and 400mm Brakes.

List Price:

Front Setup: 4.650 Euro
Rear Setup: 3.250 Euro

Including all Parts needed (Adapter, Steelbrake Lines etc.)

http://www.movit.de/images/frrp03.jpg
http://www.movit.de/images/mov601.jpg
http://www.movit.de/images/movkvip.jpg

eph94
August 13th, 2004, 20:29
Wow, looks great.

Everytime I spend time on the track (just did two days at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant) I always develop a huge desire to swap out all for corners for these Mov'its.

But the price... takes my breath away especially with the weak dollar!!

Aronis
August 13th, 2004, 20:33
what do these new brakes do about the rear parking/hand brake.

The prior ones had a separate smaller set of callipers for the parking/hand brake..

Mike

Josers4imola
August 13th, 2004, 21:35
I know Guido owner of Movit, Guido is cool!!!!
and I have Movit brakes in my RS4 and Guido do the Calipers yellow imola for me!!!! :dance:
Movit brakes are very very good!!!
cheers

rs6_newyork
August 14th, 2004, 01:56
are they any *thicker* than the standard front caliper? that is the problem on my BBS wheels, you can hardly fit a sheet of cardboard between the spokes and the flat painted surface that says "RS6".

gjg
August 14th, 2004, 05:51
... the 18" Winter Wheels still fit.... What is a problem with the 380mm and 400mm Brakes.

Nordschleife used the bigger brake kit and winter wheels did fit with 10 mm spacer - there is an old threat on the list regarding Movit's

:mech:

Bauer
August 14th, 2004, 17:02
Front Setup: 4.650 Euro

Rear Setup: 3.250 Euro

They better be great for $9,638.00 USD without shipping, tax and install.

I have been tempted to change out mine due to the current setup having some weakness on track days, but I am not at the track enough to justify almost 10k. I have read that just about everyone who has this set up has been VERY pleased but to me it does not make sense unless I am tracking the thing everyother weekend. And at that point I would also throw another 10k in suspension at it as well, not to mention ECU, TCU modification and exhaust for another 10k. Hell, why not buy a Lotus at that point and be done with it? Sorry, thinking out loud here:D :D

Cheers,

Qisha
August 14th, 2004, 17:58
The 380mm Rotor itself fits the 18" Wheels but with the 6 Piston Caliper it won´t. Tried that with different Cars in the past.
The Ultimate Brake Setup, after talking to Guido again is this:

" the all new six piston caliper combined with the 380 mm rotor is more powerfull than the ceramic brake- and the strongest brake on the road. Six pistons make sense, if the pads are far bigger than with four pistons. Just six pistons, as some other brands offer, is no improvement - just more expensive. "

Front: 380x34mm, Caliper: 6 Piston 6S1 Billet, Pad Size 115,5 cm2

! Needs at least 19" Wheels !

http://www.movit.de/images/movsix2.jpg

The Rear Setup is still with a separate Caliper for Parking Brake use.

http://www.movit-scandinavia.com/en/img/342x324m2.jpg

Found this Article about the stock brakes compared with the Movit Setup (Customer Report):

" Better than stock sport brakes for the Audi RS6
A client's comment about the stock brake. There are some fundamental shortcomings with the stock brakes.

Firstly, the rotors are mounted on floating steel pins. This is not unheard of in racing but as implemented by quattro GmbH, it is not ideal for road cars. Firstly, the isolating steel pins trap the heat within the rotors and secondly, the way the design is implemented, there is no way that air can be forced into the centre of the rotors and spun out by centrifugal forces. So as a result, the rotors get very hot indeed, which means that they do not last very long and the transfer of material from pad to rotor is accelerated (this process is commonly described as 'warping'). Why is this design ok in racing and not good for the road? Well, in racing rotors are a disposable, even at Le Mans the cars only travel about 3,500 km, so the logevity problem is not an issue. When Audi is showing off the RS6, you will always see spare rotors in the garage.

Secondly, the nice big chunky looking 8 piston brembo callipers look the part, but there is one small problem, the actual swept are of the pads is comparatively small. This results in hot spotting and enthusiastic driving can set the pads on fire.

Certain aspects of driving on German Autobahns are tougher than track driving. There are very few raced tracks where you have to slow down from over 300km/h to, say, 30 km/h in a real hurry, mostly in a race environment the brakes remain at operating temperatures, on the autobahn you are often braking hard with cold brakes. I totally destroyed one set of stock rotors in one Autobahn trip of less than 400km, I wasn't particularly hurrying, I was going out for dinner with friends and I had to cope with the remnants of evening rush hour traffic, nevertheless in three hard stops I completely destroyed the rotors, total milage on the car at that time, less than 1,600km, most of it in areas with enforced 120km/h speed limits.

Now the first question people ask is, do the 'sport' brakes from quattro GmbH help. Answer, well some but not much, these are the same rotors but cross drilled and different material pads. Remember the way the car comes from quattro GmbH (and Audi AG), most of the braking is done by the front brakes because the design of the rear brakes, with their integrated handbrake function, means that the rear pads are so hard that they do very little work, so you are still doing a great deal of braking on the front axle and not a great deal on the rear, despite it having a greater capacity for doing so than most other Audis as the weight transfer to the front axle is not as pronounced thanks to the DRC system (when braking hard the nose doesn't dip like most cars). In the longer term, look to quattro GmbH changing rotor material, but it won't happen any time soon so don't hold your breath! "

Nordschleife
August 14th, 2004, 19:55
Originally posted by Qisha
[B]The 380mm Rotor itself fits the 18" Wheels but with the 6 Piston Caliper it won´t. Tried that with different Cars in the past.
The Ultimate Brake Setup, after talking to Guido again is this:

" the all new six piston caliper combined with the 380 mm rotor is more powerfull than the ceramic brake- and the strongest brake on the road. Six pistons make sense, if the pads are far bigger than with four pistons. Just six pistons, as some other brands offer, is no improvement - just more expensive. "

Front: 380x34mm, Caliper: 6 Piston 6S1 Billet, Pad Size 115,5 cm2

! Needs at least 19" Wheels !

Qisha

The Mov'it 6 piston calliper and 380mm rotors will fit under the Audi 18 inch winter wheels with 10mm spacers. I have done it on two cars.

Some 18 inch rims have an interior profile that takes a lot of space. You have to try each individual wheel, with spacers.

R+C

Qisha
August 14th, 2004, 20:01
R+C,

are you sure that you used the new 6 Piston Billet Callipers ?

Nordschleife
August 14th, 2004, 20:05
the normal Mov'it 6 piston calliper, the monobloc 'billet' was not available 'in the past', when you say you tried to fit the 18 inch rims.

BBS rims are hard to fit over big brakes.

R+C

eph94
August 14th, 2004, 20:55
Originally posted by Bauer
I have been tempted to change out mine due to the current setup having some weakness on track days, but I am not at the track enough to justify almost 10k. I have read that just about everyone who has this set up has been VERY pleased but to me it does not make sense unless I am tracking the thing everyother weekend. And at that point I would also throw another 10k in suspension at it as well, not to mention ECU, TCU modification and exhaust for another 10k. Hell, why not buy a Lotus at that point and be done with it? Sorry, thinking out loud here:D :D

I've thought the same exact thing. The problem with the Lotus Elise (or even a compact sedan like a Mitsu Evo or Scooby STi) is that I can't bring my family and all my tools with me to the track, unless I have a F-350 Super Crew and a trailer. I already brought up the trailer idea to the wifey and that went over like a fart in church. Watkins Glen is 410 miles, Mont-Tremblant is 380 miles, and Pocono is 330 miles from my home, so having a nice drive to the track is also an important consideration if I want to do those tracks on a regular basis. I wonder at what point it would make sense to spend the cash on upgrades. I have done 8 track days so far and probably have another 4 in me by the end of the season. But, heck, at $85,000 off the shelf (with just minimal expense at upgrading brake pads and fluid) the RS6 is already a capable track machine. I should be satisfied!

Aronis
August 14th, 2004, 21:03
They better be great for $9,638.00 USD without shipping, tax and install.

For Ten Grand they should install themselves also, and top off the gas tank 10 times..

LOL

Mike

7:53 RS6
August 14th, 2004, 21:29

Cheers,

Bauer! you whrote it out for me. This is exaktly my thinking as well. When you start canging things other things take moore beting and you need to change them as well and its an ongoing proces.
A change to R-compund tier and the breakes will for sure take a beating. More power to the car and chassi needs to look over etc, etc. Its moore cheep to buy a car that is up for the task from begining. And my RS6 Avant is not but its funny some times to take her to the track and beat some real trackers cars.

Ok i must confess if my wallet was thicker i would buy the MTM RS6 whit manuell box:king:

Pelle75
August 16th, 2004, 20:01
Here are some pictures of the 370x35 6s1 kit on a Audi S4 with 20" BBS Lemans :bigeyes:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4857

The 6s1 caliper on the 370x35 kit has better clearance than the 6m2 caliper on the 380x32 kit...
For an offer on MOVIT brakes please send me an email or PM RS6.com discount included :thumb:

Cheers
/Per