PDA

View Full Version : RS6 plus ecu in an RS6?

rs6_newyork
August 13th, 2004, 04:02
just wondering if in theory this would do anything.. like.. actually work..

since the RS6 plus seems to achieve its increased power mainly via ECU, plus extra cooling which seem to be there for safety margin rather than power reasons, would flashing the RS6 cpu with the RS6 plus code, turn an RS6 into an RS6 plus in terms of Hp curve?

nene
August 13th, 2004, 13:37
Sounds plausible. However, why pay to get your ECU reflashed with the 'Plus' code, when you can get your ECU reflashed with aftmkt tuner code, and get more power out of it?

Either way, I'm sure as far as Audi is concerned, you'd be voiding the warranty, so why not just go all out and get 30+ more ponnies?

I'd recommend going with an aftmkt tuner.

rs6_newyork
August 13th, 2004, 16:02
well presumably the 2500 bucks you pay a tuner is not for the act of flashing it is for their software. In theory if you know someone with a plus audi, you might be able to get a copy of the prom made for very little money.

that plus audi probably knows more about reliability and smoothness than any tuner does.

nene
August 13th, 2004, 16:38
I somewhat agree with you on this front.
However, MTM/Abt/Sportec, have been in the Audi tuning biz for a very long time. I think their track record speaks volumes of their dedication to reliability and work excellence.

Again, true that the Audi program would seem more appropriate, but who do you think that has the capability or the ability to copy the program from one ECU to another? I guess you will still be left with that dilemna, which I'm not so sure is easy to do.

In theory, what you say sounds too easy to be true...and...you know how that phrase ends.

Seeing that the aftmkt tuners are able to get more power out of the car without doing any heat dissipation mods, it's possible that you can do the RS6+ code mod on a regular RS6. But still not convinced that is the way to go.

If you get to try it, please inform us though. Give short and long term updates! Good luck.

Erik
August 13th, 2004, 16:41
I don't see how it could work. And if it did, why?

Using a tuner is the only way to go.

rs6_newyork
August 13th, 2004, 17:33
Originally posted by Erik
I don't see how it could work. And if it did, why?

Using a tuner is the only way to go. I don't see how it wouldn't work - which was my original question.

Mechanically the RS6 and RS6+ is the same car, except the plus has some extra oil cooling capability.

The performance of the RS6+ is more than the RS6, yes?, therefore, by logical deduction :) the only performance mod is the 64k ECU, or whatever size it is..

so it seems obvious that if you could reflash your chip with someones RS6+ code block and voila, you've got an RS6+, except without the extra oil cooling.

As for WHY this might be better than a tuner, no it isn't in terms of performance, but on the other hand the car is not exceeding torque figures that audi considers prudent, and is clearly just as perfectly smooth as the basc RS6 was. And if you DID know how to flash/copy/transfer/duplicate an RS6+ eeprom it wouldn't cost $2500 it would cost almost nothing. So for $0, to get an RS6+, I'd say "why not?".

of course this option isn't available, but i think there would be demand, up to, say, $1000 .. especially for people who've had bad tuner chip experiences.

Erik
August 13th, 2004, 17:39
For starters, I don't think Audi would let you buy the Plus ECU.
Secondly, when you reflash it to fit your car who's gonna help you? And at what price? Seems like a better, and more realistic, solution to go for a tuner chip made for your car instead of a chip designed for another car.

nene
August 13th, 2004, 19:12
I'm sorry to say rs6_ny, but on this one I'll err on the side of caution.

The good thing about this board is that everyone has balls the size of Manhattan, and I mean that in a very good way.
Most of us own what could be considered the perfect sports sedan costing almost 6 digits. Nonetheless, we can't seem to leave well enough alone. We're all looking for what else could I do to make it that 0.01% better (sometimes higher percentages achieved depending on butt dyno).

I do like your question, as there has been plenty others that just make you go hmmmm?, what if? That is what this forum is for.

I suppose it would be nice if you can get your ECU reflashed with the plus code. If you do, please puhrrrty please post feedback. Someone's got to try it right?

For now I'm off the soap box, as I'm on my way to NYC!!!
Driving the 540i this time. I have the Euro housings (front & rear) ready to be put on my RS6. That might have to wait for this week or next weekend. Gave the digicam to my sister for the month, as she went traveling. Must buy new one!!!

gjg
August 13th, 2004, 20:58
well presumably the 2500 bucks you pay a tuner is not for the act of flashing it is for their software. In theory if you know someone with a plus audi, you might be able to get a copy of the prom made for very little money.

and

And if you DID know how to flash/copy/transfer/duplicate an RS6+ eeprom it wouldn't cost $2500 it would cost almost nothing. So for $0, to get an RS6+, ....I'd say "why not?".

here we go again ...... :w:

price difference between RS6 and RS6+ is not just for the extra radiators and cosmetics ....... idea of using factory RS6+ software in RS6 for engine improvement is one thing, stealing it is something else ..... puke:

rs6_newyork
August 14th, 2004, 02:00
Ok no need for the cutsie icons, I know it would be less than above board, that is why it is an "in theory" question designed to prompt anybody to post who thinks the RS6+ (less cosmetics) is more than just a new ECU program.

On the other hand, if anyone thinks that a tuner doesn't just copy and reverse engineer the audi maps, and then modify is a fool. Why is that not also "stealing" if you want to preach morality? It would be in the PC software world. they don't pay a dime to audi.