PDA

View Full Version : radiated heat in cockpit

rs6_newyork
August 12th, 2004, 04:36
has anyone else noticed the variety of heat (both radiated and hot air) that tends to make its presence felt below the steering wheel, on one of those cool evenings where you can drive with the A/C off and the windows down?

usually most apparent after an hour on the highway. Also a lot more obvious wearing shorts! wave your hand around under the dash and you can feel a number of different hot surfaces, sun-lamp type heat radiation, or slabs of warm air even with the ambient temps outside being 45 degrees F! so much so, you can turn climate control off completely when the air outside is only 10 degrees F above freezing, and still feel warm.

I guess the location of the turbos, low and to the rear of the engine bay, and the large amount of hot metal just forward of the drivers knee, must perhaps be the cause of this? expected on a viper, but kinda weird to feel in a quiet 4 door!

sturs6
August 12th, 2004, 06:01
Yes my wife and I started noticing this a few weeks ago. Very strange my feet get really hot.

rs6w
August 12th, 2004, 07:28
Yep noticed the same thing. considering everything that is crammed into the engine compartment and the heat that is generated I'm not really surprised....

JKN
August 12th, 2004, 13:46
Yeah, I notice same thing. In fact, I tend to drive with windows down and a slight AC only in the lower wells just to keep my feet / legs cool.. There is one hell of a lot of hot engine just next to that space!!!

Last1
August 18th, 2004, 16:29
Yep, I feel it too, but I thought it was part of the cold weather package :dance: