PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

k2
August 6th, 2004, 16:31
Guys (no gender intended)

I am in a situation where I have some big decisions ahead of me. We have recently sold our company to Reed Elsevier and I will have a few more resources available (www.reed-elsevier.com) as soon as HSR and Exon-Florio pass.

I have asked my friends this question but none of them have as much collective experience as we do. I get a lot of stupid responses when I ask. Therefore I put this to you for input ...

I want an automobile that I can use:
1 ) On the weekends for pleasure and adrenaline
2 ) On the track without worrying about ragging the car out
3 ) For 200 mile road trips without having to see the chiropractor immediately afterward
4 ) and not have to pay thousands each year in up-keep.

I have narrowed down to the following:
1 ) RS6 with Stage 4 from MTM
2 ) 2003- 2004 Gallardo
3 ) 2003-2004 360 Modena
4 ) 2002 GT2
5 ) 2004 996TT X50

Most of you will appreciate that my spending range is pretty wide here and I need to take my Meds because each of these cars has nothing in common with the next.

The cars I have not driven yet are the 360 and the Gallardo. I have owned everything but an exotic.

I am leaning away from the Stage 4 because I think I will end up with a wonderful drag racer that no one else will value and I will get frustrated with it at Moroso or any other road corse.

Oh yeah ... given some other things I want to do with my money ... there is a huge opportunity cost to keep 3 cars (including the RS6).

I guess the other option would be to try to find a Ford GT on eBay, but buying a car based only on the press releases is a little scary.

So I throw it open for comment - and this is not just some BS thread. I have learned a lot from our community (esp Erik, Nord, Bauer, Nene, etc) and I value your feedback (esp Ricky since he owns a Gallardo and RS6 ... good man)

Go at it ... K2

Nordschleife
August 6th, 2004, 18:27
K2

You are in Florida, I think (Moroso), so it gets hot and humid.

For hassle free ownership, I suggest you avoid tuned cars.

In very hot places I would not put turbo charged cars at the top of my list.

Your list of possible cars vary greatly with their usable interior volumes and may possibly cause some people to draw frequently erroneous conclusions about the nature of the car's driver.

So figure out how much interior space you absolutely must have, and can you cope with been thought a jerk by a lot of (ignorant) people.

Because I rarely travel with anybody else, I can live with a Gallardo, and its so out of character for me that nobody says anything. I have a subscription to FedEx to solve the space problem.

When I do travel with somebody else, I usually meet them off the plane and immediately set off for a high milage two week trip. The Gallardo is not good for this.

So, second car choice, the Maserati Quattroporte. Truely beautiful and drives like a sports car, the gear box gets better all the time. This is as big as I want in Europe, where we have narrow lanes up to mountain top villages, horrid kerbs, tight underground garages and steep ramps. Should you go for one of these then fly over to thre factory and order a completely customised interior.

Now, I would not not pick the 360CS, because it really is a car for high days and holidays, at which it is brilliant. But you will get tired of the ride, the nooise, and breing passed by the Gallardo.

GT2, like the 360CS, bites the hand that feeds it - at the limit it gets very tricky. If this car rocks your boat, then the Ruf Turbo might be the answer to all your problems.

996 Turbo, only if you find the GT2 too harsh. My mother drives one, but she is the prototype for the Penelope Pitstop character.

There is a car which I think you might appreciate, and have not mentioned - the Aston Martin DB9 - think about it!

R+C

iconcls
August 6th, 2004, 19:51
If I didn't need/want AWD I'd be in a Quattroporte.

k2
August 6th, 2004, 23:32
Quattroporte ... never even thought of that as an option. Appears to be a very nice ride for chateau hopping. I can see the attraction for holiday traveling ... enough raw power to impart fun but served up with large helping of sophistication for you and your occupants during 200 mile + trips.

However, I'm not really headed down that road. I think I would stay with the RS6 if this where the case.

I am in my 30s, single, unmarried with no kids and no real intentions of changing these demographics. I am really looking for a car that I can push and will push me back. One reason I like the GT2. I'm no Sabine ... that's for sure. She is amazing at high speed counter steering (I love the videos of Sabine pushing the M5's ass all over the Ring). But, I am getting bored with the AWD cars that I have owned ... iconcls ... we obviously don't get snow and my opinion would be different if I were still in Chicago ... except getting the Beast buried under 6 feet of snow on Elm Street during the winter.

I really like the Gallardo, but I am worried that I will feel the same way about it when I get it out to the track (Ricky ... chime in here). It seems like a very nice combination of aggression and civility. But sometimes I look at it and think it's just plain ugly.

K

Bauer
August 7th, 2004, 00:10
Here is my 2cents. I agree with most of what nord has said and I agree with you on the Quattroporte. It is a very nice car but not really my style. I do like the Gallardo, not at first, but after seeing it in person a few times, I have really grown to like it. I Unfortunately, have not had the oppotunity to drive one, so my opinions are based on what I have read and who I have talked with.

I would not get the 360 as they will be comming out with a 420 version with some restyling which might bring values down and truthfully, I like Ferrari but I think the Porsche's you have picked are better than the 360 for your $$.

As for tuning the RS6, it is hard in a warm humid enviroment to run a turbo car. Plus I have not tuned my RS6 due to some quality concerns (go ahead flame away, I am just a realist on this) and time on the track. If you go the stage 4, 575hp route you might get some gearbox problems running in the heat and humidity. As much as I want to say go for it, stage 4. I think if you drive the car hard you may run into some longer term problems. But then if $$ is not object the who cares.

How about this modify the RS6 to say 535hp and go get an Lotus Elise for about 42k for a track car. That car will keep up with and pull on many exotics on the track and if you damage it.....well it is 42k and not 180k. Good luck......such difficult decisions:D :D .

Cheers,

iconcls
August 7th, 2004, 00:25
Originally posted by Bauer
get an Lotus Elise for about 42k for a track car. That car will keep up with and pull on many exotics on the track and if you damage it.....well it is 42k and not 180k. Good luck......such difficult decisions:D :D .

I've ordered an Elise and I have all but decided to cancel it for this:

I'm Nuts (http://www.1gracing.com/index.html)

:)

Bauer
August 7th, 2004, 00:32
Didn't know they were selling them in the US yet. Whats the lag time and what are they, about 65K to 70K complete???

Don't you have to put the driveline in them? Unmarried chasis:D .....and can you get the ford motor the way they set it up in theUK and how much of a pain in the @SS is it?? Seems to me you are going to be waiting a long time either way Icon :w:

k2
August 7th, 2004, 01:38
Bauer ... good points and thanks ...

Icon nice looking ride complete ... unfortunately mine would end up in the front yard on concrete blocks for 4 months ... I'll stick with my chopper project for now ... www.bigbearchoppers.com - MERC.

The other option I have is to get a 996 X50 (AWD again but at least she's heavy in the rear) and trade the RS6 for an S4 Avant. But again I'll be at 3 cars ... not really ideal.

I hate to even mention this, but another option is to keep the RS6 and buy a WRX STI or an M3 and stip the thing. Totally set it up for tracking. Are the Elise numbers really that compelling?

Anyone have opinions on the Lotus Esprit - other than turbo and hot climate?

Nordschleife
August 7th, 2004, 08:35
K2

Interesting that nobody says anything about the DB9.

If you are considering a GT2, then do please move the Ruf Turbo to the top of your list - stunning attention to detail.

If you want a car to be all things, it is inevitable that it will fail.

You may be much better off with a car like the RS6 or Quattroporte for every day and a dedicated track day car, like a Radical. Once you get into track days, all street cars are compromised, and you don't want to drive a track car on the street because its too fussy, uncomfortable and doesn't have aircon!

I don't really know Florida these days, but I don't get the impression that its full of roads you can make epic mountain pass drives over, or relive sections of the Mille Miglia. So possibly it might be better to back away from the ultimate driving machine for the street and select something amazingly cool and comfortable with enough performance.

By the way, don't try the Gallardo, you might like it.

R+C

McP
August 7th, 2004, 11:57
Noble has a new top model, M14 (don’t know if there is a left-hand drive version):
more nuts (http://www.noblecars.com/new-noble-site/m14.asp) (take a look at the video’s on the site and on the link Iconcls provided; they’re great)
On sale in October 2004 in UK
Noble sees it as “a practical, everyday device”, with: Aircon. Sat. Nav, 2x 150 liters of luggage departments (front and back), full leather; same leather as Ferrari’s, electric windows, 0-60 in 4.3 sec, 190mph top, switchable traction control, and only 1150kg! (that’s 2535lb).

As far as I know Noble cars don’t have ABS! So there quite a big safety difference between the RS6 and this.

The Lotus Esprit is based on a 32 year old car. And the racing clutch makes it impossible to use in town and in traffic jams. The GT3 version has no ABS.
Production stopped in 2003 and Lotus will have a completely new mid-engined replacement in the ‘next few years’.

I think the DB9 is a great looking car, but handling and performance will probably not match the competition, its more a long distance GT (I haven’t driven it).

7:53 RS6
August 7th, 2004, 12:00
K2 i would go for Gallardo. When i tested it i found it relly nice(fast) and all in all very easy driven even on the edge. Its not the reptil biter.
I know you dont like the looks of it, but look again and maybee you like it:)

I must say there was one thing i reacted over when driving it. And it was the E-gear and its funktion. It did not preform that well in my mind and sounded whit crash and bangs and was somtimes reving up and dident know what gear it would chose.
It feelt like it could not coupe whit some serius driving for a long time.

The car i drove was the Lambo press car(demo car maybee the reason ?)
But i read in swedis(if it counts) car mag that they did wright down the E- gear as well( ,other car tested).

What i know the big sister Murcielago have the same box tecknologi but no wright downs, strange.(anybody else have somting to say about the E-gear and how it preforms on gallardo please, i did not like what i drove regarding e-g. ) I have not tried the normall box.
Love the hole pacage of gallado exept the E-thing.

M3 CSL for track:thumb:

Just my thinking and god luck!

SpinEcho
August 7th, 2004, 14:20
Well, you're right about the cars you list having little in common apart from an abundance of power. As Nordschleife said, you cannot expect a car to do everything you listed. So which qualities on the list do you value more? Outright road performance, track performance, cruising capability?

IMO, if you want a powerful, sexy, highway cruiser, you cannot go wrong with the DB9 (I know you didn't list it).

From your list, my personal pick would be the Gallardo. I think it's beautiful and would look particularly sinister in an understated colour such as black or dark blue. I haven't driven one, but everything I've read indicates it strikes an excellent compromise between speed, handling and comfort. And apparently it acquits itself nicely on the track, too. And some people might criticize Lamborghini because it's now owned by Audi, but I think that is a big positive in terms of build quality and reliability.

k2
August 7th, 2004, 15:45
Ok guys ... what an incredible morning for a car lover.

I live near the Atlantic Coast in Delray Beach, FL. I walk my dog on a stretch of road known as A1A. To the East of A1A are mansions that start at around $10MM (for a fixer upper). It's certainly not Juan-des-Pins, but it's very nice for FL.

Anyway, I have always been amazed that most of these people seem to have the worst taste in autos (OK here come the flames from all the Merc owners). All I see are Sx500s sneaking out from behind 20 foot gates (no E55s, no CL55s, no SL55s ... just SL or S 500s). Obviously this has something to do with the demographic (hip replacements and 4" ground clearance don't go together), but come on people - inspire me. Well, this morning my creator answered.

I hear what sounds like the begining of the Indy 500. What an incredible rush ... gentlemen start you engines. :revs: I stop and go into a comma like stare at the gates of one of my favorite homes. I can hear the faint words of my girlfriend ... honey are you OK (with genuine concern)? ... I can feel my right arm strecthed to the max as my dog is on the verge of choking himself. Wait ... just one more second ... please let me see those big pineapple topped gates creak open. I can hear very short burst from what must be a V12 (OK its narrowed down to a handful of cars ... I'm not going anywhere). The gate begins to quiver ... my heart starts pounding ... my mouth is dry. I can see the nose and that's all it takes. I know instantly that I will not be able to control myself and will certainly be rushing into oncoming traffic to get a closer look. When is see the enormous nostrils at the front of the v shaped hood ... I know I'm in for a treat. $1MM + dollar car sitting right there. I want more !!!. The driver obliges with one more quick rev and there she is. Very Black ... and very hungry. At this point the driver is blipping this car every second (curious how you do this with an F1 transmission ?). I am totally unaware of my body language at this point and my girlfriend will make it painfully clear later. She describes my gate as ... dare I say ... skipping. The driver sees me and slows his exit. Lucikly I am wearing my Porsche Crest hat because the driver would have certainly scuried away given my girly like progress toward the car. He stops and I flash him two thumbs up. As he begins his slow roll onto A1A, I can see he is about 20-25 years old. I can see everyone of his teeth through his big ass smile. He slowly rolls on the power and within 5 secs the car is indistinguishable from the others (except the lingering smell and resonance from the exhaust). I am suddenly jolted back into the real world by the sound of a honking horn and my girlfriend yelling. "Get out of the middle of the road dork".

Wow ... I am actually surprised by how excited I was by the sighting of an automobile. This is the first Enzo I have seen in motion. It is an incredible machine and looks amazing in black.

I am such a wuss ... skipping ??

iconcls
August 7th, 2004, 22:07
Originally posted by Bauer
Didn't know they were selling them in the US yet. Whats the lag time and what are they, about 65K to 70K complete???

Don't you have to put the driveline in them? Unmarried chasis:D .....and can you get the ford motor the way they set it up in theUK and how much of a pain in the @SS is it?? Seems to me you are going to be waiting a long time either way Icon :w:

I think we're looking closer to 80K, before the labor of putting the Ford lump in.

Yep, 1-G sells only the chassis and you can get the Ford twin turbo 3L that's spec'ed for Europe, but you have to install it yourself or have it installed elsewhere. That's how they avoid having to "Federalize" the car.

"Wait," I'm a very patient man, I waited 18 mos. for the RS 6! Coincidently, I just got the phone call this AM to firm up my order on the Elise, I'm number 44 out of a midwest dealer, decision time for me:confused:

k2
August 7th, 2004, 22:37
Icon ... maybe you want to have one shipped. I will be testing this and the Gallardo tomorrow AM ... will report back.

http://www.prestigeimports.com/en//Showroom/Showroom_Details.asp?sc_dept_id=14&sc_item_id=31739&ss_id=FFC067CB101E4D78850FE87232DE3BD0

kreggin
August 8th, 2004, 02:40
How about the new Porsche GT ?

k2
August 8th, 2004, 03:11
$450K to acquire if you are lucky and this is well norht of my budget ... seats are very uncomfortable ... every road imperfection is instantly tranfered to your jaw ... ceramic plate clutch makes stop and go a 50-50 gamble. This is a $500K track car ... beautiful but far to involved for what I need.

Maybe one day.

McP
August 8th, 2004, 08:52
Originally posted by k2
[... ceramic plate clutch makes stop and go a 50-50 gamble. This is a $500K track car ...
Maybe one day. [/B]
I was told by a Porsche engineer that the ceramic clutch on the Carrera GT operates just as easy as that of other Porsches (911, Boxter).
However the press car (pre-production) was a different story; heavy to operate etc.
This car was also designed for every day use (with 612hp).

Btw, were I live in Europe a GT costs €650k ($785k), so maybe one day far far away…

k2
August 8th, 2004, 14:00
McP ... one auctioned at Braman Motors for $550K ... silver on cinnamon ... I was at Champion Motors when Mr. Big Bucks (invented the golf cart) picked up his black/black. The son of the owner of Champion Naveen Maraj sat in the car with the new owner and showed him how to operate the clutch. It is very touchy ... even Naveen stalled it once. When Naveen turned the keys over to the owner, the guy stalled it twice and nearlly wipped out and entire row of 911s when he broke the rear wheels and left a strip of rubber about 30 yards. This car brings up revs like a monster. I've been told that if I can wait a year I will be able to pick one of these up with low mileage for about $250K because owners will get sick of stalling them all the time.

I love the technology of this clutch ... maybe some day I will have a chance to experience it first hand.

Nordschleife
August 8th, 2004, 14:39
Originally posted by k2
I've been told that if I can wait a year I will be able to pick one of these up with low mileage for about $250K because owners will get sick of stalling them all the time.

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you. There are a great many people out there who collect Porsches, and not many Carrera GTs.

It's a driver's car, the clutch is ok if you are used to it. It only has two positions, in and out, think of it as digital. One guy I know who is fortunate enough to have both an Enzo and a Carrera GT and who drives them on the track and gets as much insrtruction as he can, remarked that if his Enzo was destroyed he would get a second Carrera GT.

If you find the seats uncomfortable, tighten your harness!

Have a nice drive in the Gallardo. Oh, I forgot to mention the Ford GT.

R+C

k2
August 8th, 2004, 14:44
McP ... one auctioned at Braman Motors for $550K ... silver on cinnamon ... I was at Champion Motors when Mr. Big Bucks (invented the golf cart) picked up his black/black. The son of the owner of Champion Naveen Maraj sat in the car with the new owner and showed him how to operate the clutch. It is very touchy ... even Naveen stalled it once. When Naveen turned the keys over to the owner, the guy stalled it twice and nearlly wipped out and entire row of 911s when he broke the rear wheels and left a strip of rubber about 30 yards. This car brings up revs like a monster. I've been told that if I can wait a year I will be able to pick one of these up with low mileage for about $250K because owners will get sick of stalling them all the time.

I love the technology of this clutch ... maybe some day I will have a chance to experience it first hand.

rs6_newyork
August 8th, 2004, 17:04
the first ford gt was recently delivered to some middle manager from microsoft who paid "whatever it takes".

k2
August 8th, 2004, 23:29
OK ... I drove a 2004 silver/black 6 speed and a pearl yellow/black yellow eGear Gallardo. I also drove a 2003 black/black 360 coupe, a yellow 230 spyder a 2003 blue/tan Vanquish and a 2004 yellow/black Esprit ... a nice Sunday afternoon to say the least.

There is a clear winner in this bunch for me. The interior is comfortable and the switchgear is ... well its Audi ... its awesome. eGear was smooth and strong. The sales manager was amazing on the paddles. Shift below 4000 rpm and car hesitates because it seems confused as to why you want to shift at this point. Shifts at 6000rpm and above are flawless and quick (loose about 75 rpm). This car throws you into the seats. Its like the ECU knows what you want before you communicate with the car. Throttle is instantaneous. The AWD is solid. Handling is very quick. I did notice quite a bit of lateral force, but that is compared to the two wheel 360 and I am sure I was entering the same curves with 20mph + over the 360. The seats are amazing. I am positive you could drive this car everyday without issue.

The Gallardo feels much faster than the factory stats. I am sure there were a couple of sub 4 runs today.

The 360 had Daytona seats and the challenge grill. Black on black with shields. This was an amazing combination. 6 speed was smooth except for the characteristic plak ... plak ... plak as you changed gears. Amazing car. 2003 with 2000 miles ... the luggage area is much bigger than i expected. Instruments were plain but clear. The sound system sucks ... but who cares. The car feels much slower than the Gallardo. Its pretty amazing when you get into a supercar ... just how big the differences are.

OK so the new dilema is this ...

$175K (un-negotiated) for a mint, very sexy black on black 360 coupe with 2000 miles
$200K for a new (<100 miles - supposedly from the track in Sant'Agata) Gallardo - Either Silver/Burgundy eGear, Yellow/Black & Yellow eGear, Silver/Black 6spd, Yellow/Blue eGear, Black/Black eGear or Orange/Black eGear.

So do I try to make a deal on a classic 360 with some miles ... or ... bite the bullet and pay a premium for a, currently in vogue, new Gallardo ... and if so, what color.

I left a deposit so I will be buying something ... oh yeah ... the Vanquish is nice, but I wouldn't trade the RS6 for it ... it sounded great though.

Thanks again,
K2

k2
August 9th, 2004, 00:48
Silver Burgundy option ... I like this ... sorta bling bling ... but classic European combination.

http://www.prestigeimports.com/en//Showroom/Showroom_Details.asp?sc_dept_id=6&sc_item_id=11382&ss_id=D8BCF42C9ABB4FBEB1451AD800736EB5

nene
August 9th, 2004, 02:02
Being that you live in Florida, I'd probably try something with an NA engine.

Some choices:
<a href="http://www.topgear.com/content/news/cars_coming_soon/19/">Ferrari 612 Scaglieti</a>

<a href="http://www.bmwm5.com/">BMW M5 (current or new)</a>

The RS6 is also a great choice, but if you plan on tracking the car often, and you push it extremely hard, be ready to pony-up some $$ for brakes!!!

Nordschleife
August 9th, 2004, 08:24
If you go for the Gallardo,

don't forget:

Larini Exhaust
Mov'it Brakes

If you have problems with ramps then there is an Ohlins suspension mod which lets you raise the front of the car to go up ramps and over bumps.

Do ask for the Sports suspension option, it sharpens up throttle response as well as suspension.

It doesn't matter what colour you paint the car, it will never be discrete, but you will get tired of a yellow/black or orange/black interior, so leave the wild colours on the outside. But also avoid those drear all black interiors, they belong in a Stuutgart Airport Taxi.

Have you ever wondered why so many real sportscars do not have turbos, now you know.

R+C

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:11
Here are the front running options.

Nords ... thanks for the post (as always you add to the thread). You did not mention the 360 ? My concern on the Gallardo is the styling is radical and much like disco, it will loose appeal in the coming years. MO is the F360 will always be a classic exotic with more appeal to the enthusiast (resale concern). The issue with the 360 is I might kick myself in 3 months when I realize I bought a marginally inferior performing vehicle.

The sales Manager mentioned a SSteel exhaust option for the Gallardo ... not sure if Larini but imagine it is. He said it is similar to the Tubi ... but you get more of the v10 growl than normal and 25 more HP which sounds right for a v10.

I will ask about the other options you mentioned.

Thanks

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:12
F360

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:14
F360 2

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:15
F360 3

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:15
... OR ... Gallardo 1

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:16
Gallardo 1

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:17
G 2

k2
August 9th, 2004, 13:18
Not sure how I feel about this yet ... sometimes I love it ... sometimes I hear REDRUM ... REDRUM

Nordschleife
August 9th, 2004, 13:43
K2

With the Gallardo, to EGear or not to EGear is the most important choice.

The base Gallardo compares more closely to the F360 Challenge Stradale, except its faster and more civilised.

I left the 360 out because there is a new model coming along 'real soon now'.

I am not that keen on the Vanquish, but the DB9 is just great. There is an amusing video at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/aston_vs_train_broadband.ram

If considering the 360, remember, it was designed to carry golf clubs (no joke), if this does it for you..... then you will be really sick when the guys parks next to you in the new DB9 with 50% more cylinders than you have and a much better interior.

If you are forced to pay premium prices, for whatever car, just before closing the deal, get written promises of free attendence at Drivers Days when the factory testers come over, it might make you feel better about the premium.

Personally, if spending a lot on cars, I prefer to go to the factory and order the car finished to MY specification, and its easy there as you can grab hides and colour swatches and put them into actual cars similar to what you are ordering so you can see exactly what you are getting. It gets you known to the factory, so you get access to all sorts of benefits. Once you go down this path, you never go back.

Off list, send me an email address and I'll send you a Larini sound clip.

R+C

Benman
August 9th, 2004, 15:11
Gallardo or DB9. I don't see you ever "tracking" the Quattroport.
Ben:addict:

k2
August 10th, 2004, 21:15
Ok ... made up my mind !

Found a new GT3 at Champion ... silver / black ... 14 miles ... absolutely what I want for the track ... good numbers ... good warranty (no exclusions for tracking) ... will keep up with or even pull on just about any of the GT supercars (Gallardo and 360 CS) ... and if I ding a bumper or slide it into the grass I wont have to sell another company to afford the repairs.

The even better news is I will be keeping the beast.

Thanks to all who posted ... especially R (probably one of the most knowledgeable posters in this forum). I have done considerable searching on other forums and this is by far the most respectable / knowledgeable group of autophiles (uh i mean automobilephiles) around ...

BTW ... what makes this one of the best Forums ... there isn't a lot of BS going on ... as evidenced by all the pics of cars and mods.

Cheers
K2

Erik
August 10th, 2004, 21:35
Wonderful thread!

GT3 sounds nice! I'm sure you will be happy.

There are some interesting modifications from Manthey if you are interested.

http://www.manthey-racing.de

And Koro

http://www.koro.de

In German, but you might find some interesting info still.

For more on the Galardo... :heart:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4120&highlight=tuned+gallardo

http://www.imola-racing.de/

Bauer
August 10th, 2004, 22:52
Congrats on the choice, I am certian you will be very happy....hell how could you not be:incar: :D When you get her lets see some pics please. Also, would be interested in a small or maybe large road review:D

Cheers,

k2
August 10th, 2004, 23:49
Thanks guys ...

Going tomorrow to put a deposit on her ... will try to snap some photos while I'm there. I have done quite a bit of research on this and I am feeling good about my choice.

Pros ...
1) The GT3 is built specifically for the track and can be tuned in a number of ways to fit the driver and the track.
2) Maintenance can be handled in just about any major city in the World.
3) This will be my third PCar (996 C2, 996 C4S & GT3). It must be karma.
4) I can really take this car to the track and get aggressive with it. I won't be worrying about dings, scratches, curb rash, dirty exhaust pipes, etc.
5) It is normally aspirated ... as Nords has pointed out ... performance reliability is critical on the track and a turbo car is unpredictable given variance in climates.
6) I'm buying this from a dealer I know well. They have already promised me they will include me in driver days and track events (Thanks again Nords). The service manager has already called me about putting in a high flow filter and possibly an exhaust upgrade.
7) It's not going to cost me $200K for a very solid racer.

Cons ...
1) It's not a new platform for me ... I may not get as much 'new learning' out of this car as I might get from an exotic.
2) I don't believe this will hold value very well. Anyone who knows the GT3 will assume I have tracked it. No one likes a used track car ... so I'll be holding this one a while.
3) I'll probably get tired of looking at it. The style does not inspire.
4) The sound is better than the GT2, but certainly nothing like the 360 CS or the Gallardo.

As a side note ... when I was talking to my guy at Champion ... he had been on the phone earlier in the day with an exotic wholesaler in L.A. This wholesaler will not take a low mileage Gallardo unless its less than $150K. He thinks there is going to be a significant correction for these autos very soon. It looks like 2005.5 will include a spyder version that will further correct the coupe market. Good for Lambo / Audi ... bad for owners.

The 5 year old 360 is hot as hell and a used CS is still selling over MSRP. Schumacher + F1 + Shell + Points + many years of the same = a great platform from which to sell to the rich and famous. Ferrari has to be one of the worlds premium brands :thumb:

Lets hope these guys do the same for us one day.
K2