PDA

View Full Version : Hoppen Motorsports

Miami RS6
August 4th, 2004, 01:58
Does anyone have any experience/feedback with Hoppen Motorsports in Florida? I am interested in some performance upgrades in the very near future. Does anyone recommend another vendor/tuner?

iconcls
August 4th, 2004, 02:30
Hoppen reviews seem to be very polarized. I've heard some say that after dealing with them once, they would never deal with them again, and others with positive feedback. It's one of those vendors that seems to be hit or miss.

sturs6
August 4th, 2004, 02:55
Miami send a PM to ricky71370 he can help you with this question.

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:57
I believe that if you are local then you probably get better service. I called them about 4 months ago and the response was missing the customer service in a big way. Got the attitude like they could give a ratts @ss about me. Which really sucks because I think MTM is probably then best out there. Since that time I have not called back. Other people have had totaly different experiences........I wish I had those experiences. I say check it out and see how they treat you and go from there. The products are the best. For me service is very important, especially being in CA. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

Cheers

ricky71370
August 4th, 2004, 03:50
I'm shocked to hear anything bad about hoppenmotorsport... Very odd but I can only speak from personal experience, I have spoken to Mike Hoppen and after a 45 minute conversation I wouldn't go anywhere else. He went to detail on each facet of the different stage upgrades and as far as referring (contact tel# and name)me to a client that has done stage 4. The turn around on pricing was timeless, all of this from someone who took the call 5 minutes before closing... Might have he known I was calling from Orlando, maybe, but I'm gonna guess not because at the very end of the conversation he asked me that very question for the reference purpose..(his reference lives in Florida) I will not go anywhere else, by the way I have chipped my beast thru them, and will upgrade to stage four in the near future with them...:thumb:

Miami, if you like we can get in touch and further evaluate the matter...

Ricky

Hy Octane
August 4th, 2004, 04:34
They chipped the ECu for my 94 S4 and it was and still is trouble free. They know their stuff..

gjg
August 4th, 2004, 08:11
I had three cars chipped by Hoppen/MTM between 92 and 99, one with two stages (II and year later IV) - never had a problem with anything supplied. Chips for the AAN and 2.7tt engines had not issues, no hickups, no loss of power anywhere. All that living about 1000 miles north with no local dealer/rep...... and my local dealer serviced the cars and honoured the warranty with full knowledge of MTM/Lehmann mods.

Mike Hoppen knows what he sells - pros and cons - and he was never shy to point out negatives as well. They are not in business to sell at all cost unlike some other tuners and whatever is supplied is tested in high stress enviroment.

The only negative side I am aware is the fact that sometimes they are hard to reach - which is not unusual for any tuner in NA. They got some bs on this as well as other lists - from what I have seen most of it caused by the "executive approach" people who can't handle the fact that they do not get immediate answer and, my God, my phone call is not being answered after first ring .... Also MTM did not release the US version of chips for RS6 imediately which contributed to the "lack of response".

:thumb:

No affiliation, just a customer for 12 years

Miami RS6
August 4th, 2004, 14:35
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll give them a try just 'cause they are relatively near me...couple hours drive.

k2
August 6th, 2004, 04:35
Call Mike Hoppen - ask for Mike (takes a while to warm up until you tell him your thinking about spending $40k with him).

I have talked to him several times regarding Stage 4. Last time I talked to him they had done 4 cars with no problems. It takes about 6 weeks from order to complete (they do not carry Stage 4 inventory ... cost around $35-39K). They do not have local dynos for the 4 cars. Mike will direct you to the mtm site in German. I presume the reason they have not dyno'd a car locally is because the heat here in Sth Fla will cause the output to be much lower. That said, the recent video from - Erik I think - shows a very sporty MTM. The video runs about 7 secs and I bet this car can do a sub 12 run on a good day.

Peace

Nordschleife
August 6th, 2004, 08:53
K2

http://www.mtm-online.de/ is in English and German. All English speakers have to do is click on the Union Flag and they can navigate the site in English.

R+C

Benman
August 6th, 2004, 20:33
Wow, some impressive feedback! Like Bauer I called a couple of times when I first got my Beast and never heard back from anyone at Hoppen. No call back, no email. Maybe it was because I'm out here on the West Coast, maybe just a fluke. Like Bauer says, see how they treat you. Customer service is important.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

gregoryindiana
August 7th, 2004, 16:45
I made initial contact with Hoppen in the mid 90's. Josef and Michael Hoppen both took an interest in helping me to upgrade my ur S4 with the Abt products they carried at the time, and arranged to have the work done at Dave Maraj' Champion Audi in Pompano Beach.

I did most of my dealing with Hoppen by phone, but I did visit them once on a side trip from a visit near their base in Sarasota.

The reason I did the work at Champion was because Mr. Maraj had already had most of the same modifications done to his personal Audi, using the same equipment, and we were in the area on an anniversary trip. I could have used some Midwest shops, and had an equally fine result.

I have only had 2 problems with the mods, and each time Mike Hoppen and his staff were very helpful. The last time was a year ago, when one of the upgraded S6+ brake calipers originally sourced from Europe had a piston seize. Those calipers are not used on any US Audi, though close. But Hoppen were able to find the part number, order one from Europe, and have it to me in about 10 days. The local Audi tech was able to do the rest.

So I woudln't hesitate to go to Hoppen for my eventual RS6 MTM upgrade.