PDA

View Full Version : euro Rs6 - battery under floor question

rs6_newyork
August 1st, 2004, 21:06
I'm building out the wheel well for an audio system, by giving up the spare in my US RS6.

One problem I've found is that if you place a big amp in there, the heat is excessive. The combination of the amp but mainly (I suspect) the exhaust, is incredible and i'm not even flogging the car down an auto-bahn (obviously). In fact the whole floor pan (under the carpet) from the back seat back, is very hot.

So my question is to euro RS6 owners: on the euro RS6s, is the battery just sitting in this rear sunken BBQ pit, surrounded by painted metal, cooking gently, or is it padded out with some kind of insulation?

gjg
August 2nd, 2004, 04:48
no insulation, just metal bracket securing the battery in forward side of the well. The other half is filled with styrofome housing the compressor, tire repair kit and some tools. All that covered with plastic cover, no vents, and carpet. This is in Avant.

gg

:mech:

snoopra
September 13th, 2009, 21:27
Didn't want to start a new thread for this question. Can anyone with a saloon/sedan post pics of the wheel well battery compartment and under carpet power cable location? Also need detailed pics of the forward mounted cargo tie-down brackets. Preferably pics with tool kit in and out. More pics the better. Still working on the battery relocation project. Most of items aquired, still need battery bracket and cargo tie-down bracket. I want it to look OEM so pics of an actual Euro/UK trunk/boot will help. Thanks in advance.

MarkusRS6
September 13th, 2009, 22:13
I can probably take some pics tomorrow for you, it's dark now

xtr184078
September 13th, 2009, 23:36
Just to tempt your tastebuds until better photos come along, ...... not my car so these are only pics i have unfortunately

:incar:

euro style but from DownUnder

Andrew

snoopra
September 14th, 2009, 01:42
MarkusRS6, that will be great! Can't wait for the pics!

xtr184078, thanks for the pre-views, very nice indeed.

DuckWingDuck
September 14th, 2009, 01:49
seems like the euro spec batteries are smaller than the US....

mmaturo
September 14th, 2009, 04:00
Just to tempt your tastebuds until better photos come along, ...... not my car so these are only pics i have unfortunately

:incar:

euro style but from DownUnder

Andrew

first RS6 i've seen with a tow hitch in the tool box...

MarkusRS6
September 14th, 2009, 17:44
here are the pics as requested, hope it helps

snoopra
September 14th, 2009, 21:04
Yes they do! You ARE a life saver! How about lifting the right side foam and taking a few pics of the power cable? Is the power cable flat and where does it go back into the firewall? Also, can you take a pic of the right side forward tie-down bracket? And pics of the battery compartment with the tool kit out? Sorry for the hassle, but this will help me get a good idea of how the finished project should look. BTW, your battery vent (little black corrigated plastic tubing behind the battery going out the floor through the orange/red rubber goumet) needs to be reconnected to right side battery vent hole.
Do you know if they sell the battery bracket and tie-down brackets (will need to be welded in) seperately?
Thanks again for your assistance, MarkusRS6.

xtr184078
September 15th, 2009, 00:44
[quote first RS6 i've seen with a tow hitch in the tool box...[/quote]

It's not uncommon to see RS^ saloon/avant with this local tow bar system .......
I know it's not allowed as per AUDI but the dealers here still OK with warranties etc.
Your average kiwi is only going to be towing a small trailer with garden waste/jetski/speedboat, no 30ft caravan/trailer homes .... :hihi:

The tow bars I've seen are all the same make/style and are removable and store away when not in use.

I've seen a towbar fitted :mech: on new C6 RS6's as well.

Cheers
Andrew

mmaturo
September 15th, 2009, 05:38
[quote first RS6 i've seen with a tow hitch in the tool box...

It's not uncommon to see RS^ saloon/avant with this local tow bar system .......
I know it's not allowed as per AUDI but the dealers here still OK with warranties etc.
Your average kiwi is only going to be towing a small trailer with garden waste/jetski/speedboat, no 30ft caravan/trailer homes .... :hihi:

The tow bars I've seen are all the same make/style and are removable and store away when not in use.

I've seen a towbar fitted :mech: on new C6 RS6's as well.

Cheers
Andrew[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I guess makes more sense with the Avants. I guess i laugh as i could imagine stepping into the throttle too much and shearing it off leaving behind whatever I was trying to tow.