PDA

View Full Version : old A4

BigCountry
July 29th, 2004, 17:16
Quick question for you all,

I'm looking for a cheap, extra family car - about the 10k range, plus or minus a couple k. My initial thought was a '98 or '99 honda - very reliable, cheap to maintain, and very cheap for the quality. After doining some research, however, i've realized in the same price range, i can get a good condition '98 or '99 A4 1.8T.

So here's my question, is there any specific reason why the resale of these old A4's have dropped dramatically. I know many who have had these model years in the past, and i've heard nothing but good things about performace, quality, saftey, and basically everything else i'm looking for out of my 10 grand.

just wondering what everyone thinks, becuase after all, you all seem to know audi pretty well,

thanks,
cheers,

Audihead
July 29th, 2004, 18:34
Well the car is about to go another generation down very soon. They are starting to get in the high range for miles. Dealers want them off the lots to make room for the latest batch of 2 to 3 year off lease cars which are now a generation newer. The profit margin is now shrinking from when they took them as trades or dealer buy-backs, so they got to move them fast. Just some thoughts.

:s4addict: -Audihead

nyrs6
July 30th, 2004, 02:47
thats intresting from what i have thought the A4 at least the old models are selling for not soo cheap. I think kids are buying it and modding them, so i think a 98 or 99 A4 fo 10k will have 70k+ miles on it. I think the resale has been pretty good. As for quality. Audi is know for that.

Reliable. Well as far as the engine, as long as youre not planning on modding it i would get the 2.8 V6. It might cost a little extra but its worth it because its alot less maintance then the the 1.8t because the 1.8t has turbo, The rest i really dont know my dad had his S4 for a 3 year lease and for those three years we really didnt have any major problems except for the tranny needing something. Thats because it had alot more power. I dont think you would have that problem with the power of the a4.

To tell you the truth for a relaible family car, i think the civic would be better as far as reliable. I dont think a old a4 is that type of car. Its more for someone who cant pay for a new audi and just wants an audi. I may be wrong, its only my opinion. :D

I think you would get more info on

www.audiworld.com on the A4 forum