PDA

View Full Version : Topgear: Why is the Lambo 6secs quicker now?

Legend
July 29th, 2004, 07:33
Hey guys I missed the episode when they retested the Murcielago, so can somebody please explain to me:

1. How the Murcielago has a lap time of 1:22+ whereas it first posted a lap time of 1:28+?

2. This just seems strange, why did they test the Lambo around the track again?

I cannot for 1 second believe that a Lambo can be faster than a Koeniggsegg, I mean the Lambo is like 1800kgs or something and the Koeniggsegg is 1100+, Not to mention the power to weight ratios...

I just think that the Stig is not really consistent at all

Legend ;)

Klint
July 29th, 2004, 11:46
Originally posted by Legend

I cannot for 1 second believe that a Lambo can be faster than a Koeniggsegg, I mean the Lambo is like 1800kgs or something and the Koeniggsegg is 1100+, Not to mention the power to weight ratios...

I just think that the Stig is not really consistent at all

Legend ;)

I can't help at all with the first two questions, but there's a difference between 'paper stats' and 'real world' performance.

For instance, the Koeniesegegegegege maybe the faster car on paper but can the chassis utilise the power better than the Murcielago, in the real world pyhsical environment? Probally not, thus creating a slower lap time than the Murcielago due to an un-balanced chassis, for example.

This can cause things as lack of grip....remember the Murcielago is a well sorted car, just a little bit more than performance numbers -It has build quality, style and decent ergonomics to match.

Don't forget the Murcielago is also AWD.

:incar:

gabeyung
July 29th, 2004, 11:54
because they put the murcielago in the dry on the test track again on 2003.11.16 episode. it was the fastest car tested back then.

Legend
August 4th, 2004, 20:17
Yeah thanks guys but it still does not answer how it is possible the Lambo is 6 seconds quicker than previously.

Also the Koeniggsegg has a well sorted chassis ;)

So those guys at Topgear better stop clowning around :P

Erik
August 4th, 2004, 20:19
It rains a lot in England.

And many of the times are set while it rains.

Not sure if that goes for the first Murciélago time but it could be an explaination. :vhmmm:

McP
August 5th, 2004, 14:12
Because it rain a lot in England, but not always, Top Gear decided to put water on the track themselves. To create more equal testing circumstances.
That is why the track was (partially) wet when the Koenigsegg and the Lambo were tested.

Because the ‘artificial rain’ system didn’t work (and was too expensive), they stopped this. And for the special Lamborghini episode the Murcielago got a second chance in the dry.

Other differences:
-Wet time was with a manual transmission and the Dry time was with E-gear (which is faster according to Lamborghini).
-Wet time was done by old Stig and Dry time was done by new Stig (which probably is the same guy as the old Stig).

The Gallardo time of 1:25.8 was done on a very wet track, if the dry time is 6 sec. quicker, then its faster then the Murci (1:19.8 same time as Porsche Carrera GT)?
http://home.planet.nl/~nottheone/gallardo_w2.jpg
http://home.planet.nl/~nottheone/gallardo_w1.jpg