PDA

View Full Version : Someone is mistaken here.

gregoryindiana
July 28th, 2004, 22:54
I just returned from an oil and filter change on my RS6.

I asked how much of the special oil it took for an oil and filter change. The technician said he put 9.5 quarts in the car (and the invoice shows a charge for 10 quarts).

The US owner's manual says that oil change with filter will take 7.9 quarts.

Any comments? Anyone else here seen this kind of discrepancy?

I just drove back over 200 miles with about 1 1/2 quarts too much sloshing around in the crankcase and wherever else it could go, or else everything is fine.

I'm not in the habit of dipsticking the oil as I leave from a service. Maybe I should start.

Or maybe, since the car WAS fully warm, and the thermostat would have been open to the oil cooler, MAYBE all the oil from the oil cooler lines and the oir radiator accounts for the discrepancy, which would be good.

Any other thoughts??

gregoryindiana
July 28th, 2004, 23:32
I just ran the car about 15 miles to get everything thoroughly warm;

and when I checked the dipstick after about 3 minutes after shutdown, SURE ENOUGH, the oil level is well above the upper limit of full. Probably about a quart, though the calibration there is suspect; it could be a quart and a half.

What would you all do? I guess I could somehow drain "some", hard to do without losing it all, not to mention a huge mess.

I will call the Audi dealer's service manager first thing in the AM.

SpinEcho
July 29th, 2004, 01:08
Classic story. It's amazing how such a simple task on one's expensive, high performance automobile can be f**ked up by the stealership. Your idea of checking the dipstick before leaving the stealer in the future is a good one. Don't trust 'em!

Aronis
July 29th, 2004, 01:35
If you read in the Manual they are very specific about not overfilling the oil system.

The car takes 7.5 liters (the bottle in your trunk is 1 liter, not 1 quart.) the oil only comes in liter bottles.

Overfilling can damage the car.

I'd drain at least three liters now, let the car sit over night, and then check the oil level. The level should be in the middle of the range when cold.

I always change my own oil, ever since the BMW dealer only put 2 quarts in my M3's 7 quart system. Mistakes happen.

Mike

JP4
July 29th, 2004, 14:58
1) I ALWAYS check my oil level before leaving the dealer after and oil change and check that the filler cap is secure.

2) It certainly is possible that somehow the tech overfilled the crankcase.

3) It's possible to remove an exact amount of oil from your crankcase using a suction device that is inserted in the tube that holds your dip stick.

Hope this helps!

JP4

JAXRS6
July 29th, 2004, 15:41
Aronis, since you change your own oil, have you found it difficult to drain the old stuff? I'm asking because a dealer told me an oil change will cost $200 -- partly because it's expensive stuff, but also because something has to be removed in order to do it & that makes the process more labor-intensive than most oil changes.

What can you tell us? Is there more to draining the oil than putting a pan underneath & pulling the plug?:vhmmm: Or is the hard part putting in the new oil & if so, what makes it difficult?:trash:

nyrs6
July 29th, 2004, 15:59
Isnt the oil change no charge? :vhmmm: or you guys are changing it more often?

Btw does anyone know where to get the "special" oil for cheaper then the dealer

JAXRS6
July 29th, 2004, 16:50
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nyrs6
Isnt the oil change no charge? :vhmmm: or you guys are changing it more often? [/B]

I was talking about cost after warranty, as told to me by dealer.

So far seems to be available thru dealers only, since it is made by Castrol for VW -- and there probably isn't enough demand for another oil mfr to make it.

eph94
July 29th, 2004, 17:37
Originally posted by nyrs6

http://www.motul.us/autoresellers/

Bauer
July 29th, 2004, 17:37
but also because something has to be removed in order to do it & that makes the process more labor-intensive than most oil changes.

Lower Intercooler hose on the left side on the engine bay. Thats what the Tech told me when I went to look at my empty engine bay. Not really that big of a deal.

Cheers,

Hy Octane
July 29th, 2004, 19:37
If you go to Audi USA and look at the 'Explore the RS6" specs, it says that the car holds 9.5 us quarts of that special snake oil it uses.

BTW, my mechanic has informed me that Audi is now requiring that we use the VW 505-01 synth oil ONLY.. no other brands... He says that if there is an engine problem, the first thing Audi asks him to do is send an oil sample.. if they find anything in there they dont like they will void the warranty.

gregoryindiana
July 30th, 2004, 04:10
I did speak today with the Service dept at the Audi dealer.

Your info is correct; the techs at their RS6 "school were told 9.5 quarts.

Now, if the bottles are in Liters and you tried to put in 9.5 of them, you would still be overfilled.

The technician who worked on the car filled the oil, ran it around the block, and then checked the level, and they say it was spot on.

I still think it's too full. The Service manager, who is now 200 miles away, did say to his credit, that if my oil is too full, to go ahead and siphon some off, and if I incur any expense, he will get me reimbursed.

I will get it fixed tomorrow with a dipstick suction device as mentioned above.

The unfortunate thing still is that the owner's manual says 7.9 quarts, but the Audi techs are all being told 9.5 when they get trained. Someone is setting someone else up to look bad.

Another One
July 30th, 2004, 04:33
The only rule that exists for me when dealing with an Audi dealer service department is to check every single thing they did, say they did, you suspect they did, or they were supposed to do.

Len Stoler Audi outside Baltimore, two visits--

1. changed the oil. put too much in so I had to crawl under when I got home and remove some.

2. mount and balance four tires. they damaged THREE out of the FOUR wheels.

and put so much oil in the engine that within two miles the check engine light was on and engine misfiring.

Tischer (Mile ONe) Audi in Silver Spring, MD--3 visits

1. regular service--too much oil put in. tire pressures, which were fine when I went in, upon leaving ranged from 26 psi to 44 psi.

2. replace clutch and do alignment. car was there for a whole month. supposed to be done in two days. they never did the alignment but only lied about it.

went back for the alignment. again, never did it, billed Audi for it, but only lied about.

again for the alignment. same pack of bald-faced lies.

The sole reason I did not sue Tischer is that I was just too busy. That and Audi seemed completely uninterested in how they had been defrauded out of the cost for three never-done alignments.

To date, literally the only Audi dealer that has ever done one single thing correctly for me has been Rockville Audi.

Please, you MUST NOT trust any of these people to put the right amount, or even almost the right amount of oil, or anything else, into your car.

JAXRS6
July 30th, 2004, 06:36
So sorry to hear of your troubles, Another One. I think you've had the worst multi-dealer experience I've ever read about, and I've been reading Audi threads a lot since about 1998 (including audiworld.com). Although it always pays to be cautious, as you suggest, my experience has been quite different.

I have had many dealer trips and too much downtime with my RS6, that's for sure, but most of my troubles resulted from poor communication -- between Audi in Germany and AOA or between AOA & the dealer. Overall, for the three Audis I've owned since 1998, I have visited seven dealers in five states. Every time I've had to come back for the same problem, it was for an issue on which the dealer was simply doing what AOA told it to do, i.e. not really the dealer's fault.

My only dealer-based problems have been availability of loaners, scheduling, and one case of blaming a chip for problems caused by the MAF filter on my 2000 S4 (I won that argument with some outside help). Never had any issues with oil changes, including 5K and 15K on my RS6.

Most dealer problems I read about here seem to concern operations in the Northeast, where I have never had to use an Audi dealer. Can anyone think of reasons for that?

A suggestion for those of you near Another One: If you have hooked up with a good dealer, please let him know who it is!

nyrs6
July 30th, 2004, 18:20
Originally posted by gregoryindiana
I did speak today with the Service dept at the Audi dealer.

Your info is correct; the techs at their RS6 "school were told 9.5 quarts.
ad.

The audi tech guy said that, he took a 2 day course for the RS6.

How can you cover the whole car in two days?

gregoryindiana
August 1st, 2004, 16:15
Everything is fine now;

I drained (actually sucked out the dipstick hole) the excess oil.

As was pointed out above by Aronis, I believe, the Castrol oil we use in the RS6 comes in ONE LITER plastic bottles.

That's the size of the "emergency top off" bottle we all got in our US delivered cars. So it is only logical to assume that dealer stock is the same liter bottles.

Since a quart is about 0.946 liters, if they put in 9.5 liters (9 1/2 of the bottles they have) they are giving you 10.04 quarts; as opposed to the 9.5 quarts the technicians were told the oil and filter change required. So I was about half a quart too full. Probably not the end of the world at steady highway speeds, where some portion of the oil is sloshing around anyway, up around the valve covers and etc. My recollection is that some racers overfill about half a quart anyway for track work to avoid oil starvation in wet sump cars.

The accurate amount they SHOULD add for 9.5 quarts is 8.99 liters. I will specify exactly 9 liters added to my car for oil and filter change from now on.

Wang
August 2nd, 2004, 05:41
read my other post for details. So terrible that the Audi service can be sooo poor :confused: :confused:

kreggin
August 8th, 2004, 02:51
Just went through this process at Tischer Audi ( near Columbia MD ). 9 liters - filled exactly right.
10 liters on the invoice - one handed to me. ( I still had one from before) - my RS6 - so far - does not use any appreciable oil between changes. I had read this post and watched to see what they did. So - looks like it was done properly. The Tech was sure enthused about working on the RS6. He put my Milltek exhaust on and did an supurb job.

gjg
August 8th, 2004, 05:49
QUOTE:

Audi is now requiring that we use the VW 505-01 synth oil ONLY.. no other brands... He says that if there is an engine problem, the first thing Audi asks him to do is send an oil sample.. if they find anything in there they dont like they will void the warranty.

in my euro manual it says 505.01 (5W40) only - in case of emergency you can use 503.01 (0W30) - stealer put labels in the engine bay "castrol 503.01 only". Reading manual (yes, I did that ....) in the service section it clearly states 505.01 ONLY, NO SUBSTITUTES.

Shell/Mobil/Total available here, did not see Castrol (Castrol only 503.01 with SAE 0W30). About $25/liter with todays exchange rate, for Shell premium price $28/liter ..... :bigeyes:

here is the Approved Engine Oils for Audi list - this is couple years old:

:mech:

gjg
August 8th, 2004, 06:01
well, this oil info is scanned doc and too big to post (185k). If interested PM for copy.

:idea: