PDA

View Full Version : S6 with manual transmission?

antti
July 28th, 2004, 20:53
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a used 00-01 S6 with under 100.000km, but I'm debating with myself if I should get the S6 with a manual or with an automatic transmission.

I would like to buy a manual but I'm worried about the reliability of the manual transmission. Does anyone have experiences with the manual transmission. Can it handle the torque and HP of the S6? Is there known issues with the manual transmission? Is it the same transmission that is used in 2.7T?

--
Antti

Aronis
July 29th, 2004, 01:37
Manual transmissions are in general more durable than Automatic transmissions, unless you toast the clutch.

Mike

Fab5
July 29th, 2004, 03:25
Hi,

go for the manual itīs a lot better than the automatic box.I had one for 3 years and it was a great car,i killed one clutch but that was my fault.

The S6 iīve test driven before i decided to take one was automatic and you can feel the difference.The perfimance is a bit better.If you like it to drive sporty/manual,if you like it to cruise or you have to drive most of the time in the city take the automatic.

Fab5

:revs:

gjg
July 29th, 2004, 06:26
Can it handle the torque and HP of the S6?

Antti, the manual gear box will handle the S6 torque and hp without any problem. Clutch may be an issue but that is more related to driving skills than anything else.

George

antti
July 29th, 2004, 07:38
Thanks for the info guys. My driving is mostly motorway driving so I'm going for the manual. I've read that there were some problems with 1st gear breaking, but I think that was with the previous model of S6. And we have a Volvo V70 with an automatic transmission, so I can drive with that if I feel lazy :-)

Ok, now if I only could find a good used S6. It must be black avant, with black alcantara sport seats, navi-plus, Bose etc. :-)

Anything else I should opt for? What are the buttons used for in the multifunction steering wheel? I like the looks of the 3-spoke steering wheel though.

--
Antti

gjg
July 29th, 2004, 07:51
I've read that there were some problems with 1st gear breaking, but I think that was with the previous model of S6.

I owned

92 S4 - sold with 299292 km (186011 miles) on tach, transmission whine in 1st gear but tranny survived another 60k km before the car was totaled in accident. Modified MTM II+ setup (about 290 hp) - this model (92-93) did have reported problems with 1st gear)

95 S6 Avant - sold with 284600 km (177k miles), no problems with tranny at all, no whine in first gear - I believe Audi modified the tranny in 94-95. this one is Lehmann 390 hp setup. Still on the road.

Neither car was used in "street light" racing - 4000 rpm clutch drop would more likely do the first gear with heavy car like this one sooner or later, not to mention clutch.

no info on the S6 4.2 model with manual tranny as this was never imported to US (as far as I know).

:thumb:

xjussix
July 29th, 2004, 12:20
Friend of mine owns an S6 Plus with a manual gearbox and has had absolutely no probs with it as far as I know. :)

Good luck finding one!

ott
July 29th, 2004, 22:17
I have driven 100+ k. km with my manual '01 S6 and not a single box/clutch related problem, although I have drag raced it few times and also participated to track days.