PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

A418TQTip
July 21st, 2004, 01:27
Hello Folks,

Let me start by giving you all the props for the community you've got going on here. I've been lurking around for a while and love the content. :applause:

I happened to come across this article. So, what do you guys think?

http://members.roadfly.org/agmos03/S4vsM3Page1.jpg
http://members.roadfly.org/agmos03/S4vsM3Page2.jpg

Nordschleife
July 21st, 2004, 07:35
Its the way you drive the cars that makes the difference.

In similar circumstances, the S4 oversteers in the wet, if the driver is competent.

The S4 is not a very good car to explore handling technique with. Even Audi admits that, by action rather than word, most (all?) of its high performance driving classes have reverted from the S4 to the TT.

Sadly, very very few journalists are competent drivers, even some of the ones that have done quite well racing.

If its a dark winter night and I have to drive across the Alps from Munich to Grenoble, in a hurry, I would be faster, and more relaxed in an S4. At almost any other time, the M3 would be more enjoyable but the S4 would be only be a corner behind and more composed.

Its easy to be Jack The Lad in an M3, its much harder to be smooth as silk in the S4. Unless you can make the S4 feel 'balanced on its toes', it is not going to be either a fast or a rewarding experience. Balancing the car into the corner is vital.

A high profile former F1 driver was at the Nuerburgring very recently. He was driving an Aston Martin DB9, and under orders to go 'fast', one of the locals, whom we will call Fritz, in a beater Gof Mk II was giving him the hurry up all the way round. Did the Pratt speak to Fritz afterwards, you must be joking. Its the nut behind the wheel that counts on the clock.

R+C

A418TQTip
July 21st, 2004, 14:00
Yup.

Thanks for that Nordschleife. It does make a lot of sense.

PS: I enjoy reading your posts! :thumb:

Audihead
July 21st, 2004, 17:03
I'm with Nordo on this one. I don't think anyone could have said it better.:0:

:s4addict:-Audihead

BigCountry
July 27th, 2004, 02:41
The M3 is an amazingly balanced car, I can't help but smile just thinking abou it. regardless of which is faster in the rain, etc. IMHO just the feeling of driving an M can't be beat. Totally personal preference, however, and i can't wait to see what audi does to stiffen the competition. Big plans on the horizon for more balanced AWD i've heard...

Its going to be a fun ride,
cheers,

RS4Ever
August 3rd, 2004, 07:55
the times were very close

so many aspects are to be considered as well..

the amount of petrol in the tanks as to car weight
driver awareness (could get tired in later runs being a journalist)
heated tires (better grip)
and even if both cars are manual (i know the m3 was since mentioned)

btw, is the M3 spare tire for the front or back wheel or suitable for both?

BigCountry
August 3rd, 2004, 17:08
don't quote me on this, but i'm pretty sure none of the M's have spare tires, due to weight and unequal sizing front and rear. I'm assuming the M3 is the same as the M5, because i know the M5 comes with an "M repair kit", comprised of a can of compressed air mixed with repair foam.

you just stick the can to the tire valve and fill up. the foam inside finds the leak in the tire and fills it, and the compressed air refills lost air. Pretty genious in thought, however, i've yet to use it so your guess is as good as mine as to if it works.

cheers,

gjg
August 4th, 2004, 00:27
you get the same fix-a-flat kit in Europe for rs6 ....

A418TQTip
August 4th, 2004, 03:24
Originally posted by RS4Ever
the times were very close

so many aspects are to be considered as well..

the amount of petrol in the tanks as to car weight
driver awareness (could get tired in later runs being a journalist)
heated tires (better grip)
and even if both cars are manual (i know the m3 was since mentioned)

btw, is the M3 spare tire for the front or back wheel or suitable for both?

The M3 doesn't have a spare tire... It comes with the M mobility kit. BMWs come with full-size spare tires in general, but there really aren't a whole lot of cars out there carrying around 18 (or 19) inch spares in the trunk...

In addition to that, as you noticed, the car has a staggered setup (i.e. what type of spare would it carry in the trunk?)