PDA

View Full Version : temperature gauge

plus
July 15th, 2004, 13:00
Is it an RS6 known problem that the outside temperature gauge registers a much higher temperature than the real outside temperature? Possibly because the sensor is positioned close to the engine?? Anyone know......

:addict: :addict: :addict: :addict:

TheBrit
July 15th, 2004, 14:03
Consistent across the five RS 6s I've driven, so yes it's probably a design issue. I think it's worse when moving slowly or standing still with a warm engine, so it's likely to be excess engine heat creating a hotspot. Should be better behaved on the open road.

Nordschleife
July 15th, 2004, 14:12
This is one of the problems which tells us something about Audi in general and quattro GmbH in particular.

When the RS4 was released drivers quickly noticed that the external temperature rose alarmingly in stop and go driving conditions, and over a journey would rise too high. Inspection revealed that the probe was too close to a radiator/cooler. Some dealers moved the probe, the message was passed back to the various national concessionaires and eventually the information percolated through Audi and quattro. The problem was even demonstrated to quattro GmbH people at a drivers challenge day.

So when the RS6 came along, we expected the problem to be fixed. No, not fixed, exactly the same problem. In March 2003, I demonstrated this shortcoming, and the fix to SR, the quattro GmbH project leader at Neckarsulm, along with explaining why the stock brakes failed.

Did this make any difference - well, yes it did, there appear to be a few mechanics in the RS6 assembly suite who make this modification, if they remember. Doesn't this give you a warm fuzzy feeling about these cars?

R+C

plus
July 15th, 2004, 14:27
As you seem so knowlegeable it seems that the horn on my wifes A3 is stronger than on my RS6. Why is this? I have had the whole horn replaced and it still is quieter. seems to me that they have stuck something in fron of the horn??

:addict: :addict: :addict:

rs6_newyork
July 15th, 2004, 14:53
relocation does not make a worthwhile difference on RS6 because if you stop or are dawdling along, the radiated heat, and hot air, from the engine bay is pervasive. So unless you are relocating it to the roof, you won't find ambient temps.

the sensor reads about right above 30 miles an hour, so if you remember that, it isn't such a big deal.

plus
July 15th, 2004, 14:58
thank you - a lot more helpful than my local dealer reaction " no, never heard of that problem before":vgrumpy:

Sims
July 15th, 2004, 15:05
Originally posted by Nordschleife

(1) This is one of the problems which tells us something about Audi in general and quattro GmbH in particular.

(2) Did this make any difference - well, yes it did, there appear to be a few mechanics in the RS6 assembly suite who make this modification, if they remember. Doesn't this give you a warm fuzzy feeling about these cars?R+C

(1) Vorsprung Durch as they say.

(2) reminds me of the crashed AeroPeru flight which claimed 70 lives - the maintenance guys would sometimes forget to remove the tape(applied whilst they were cleaning the plane) over the sensor for altitude/speed inputs

If Nordschleife cannot influence Audi, no-one can

gjg
July 15th, 2004, 21:22
Did this make any difference - well, yes it did, there appear to be a few mechanics in the RS6 assembly suite who make this modification, if they remember. Doesn't this give you a warm fuzzy feeling about these cars?

is the modification info available somewhere?

gg

:mech:

jimmy94507
July 22nd, 2004, 06:28
Where is the sensor currently located? When the mechanics remember to make the modification, where do they place the sensor so the external air temperature reading is less effected by the engine heat?

Thanks for the information and best regards.
Jim

gjg
November 22nd, 2004, 16:49
well, here we go again - the outside temperature sensor faithfully records oil cooler temperature, stealer has no idea about how to resolve the problem so I gues we are on our own.....

it gets worse around freezing temperatures.

Did anyone have this problem corrected?

:doh:

Nordschleife
November 22nd, 2004, 17:30
George
I just had the dealer move the probe. The dealer called Audi and was told where to put it, problem solved.
For you, sounds like an excuse to visit Wettstettin.
R+C

gjg
November 22nd, 2004, 17:31
good idea, I was in Taunusstein last week ...... nice drive in rainy weather ...:thumb: