PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster backlight eveness SURVEY

Wang
July 10th, 2004, 07:46
I posted this on another forum, but feel that I can get better results if I spread the experience here and ask for your feedback:

I have recently noticed that my RS6 instrument cluster is not evenly illuminated, eluding to a backlighting defect on the speedometer portion 150 miles per hour and above tick marks, as if a bulb is less bright or missing. Anyone else with uneven instrument cluster backlighting? It is not serious enough to undergo dashboard surgery to correct. Your observations are appreciated as I have not yet seen another RS6 in my area and have no one to compare.

:addict:

nene
July 10th, 2004, 20:17
I have never noticed this, but it's not to say that it's not there.
I will check it out.

I am thinking that the uneveness of it is because of the location of the bulb behind the cluster. Probably nothing to worry about.

JAXRS6
July 10th, 2004, 20:56
Just checked mine -- backlight looks even when I turned on lights in garage during daytime, with garage door open (i.e. semi-dark). Will try again tonight & post here if it's any different.

Wang
July 11th, 2004, 02:21
Its noticeable but not bad. Its funny how we start noticing things about our beloved cars over time which we never noticed before:rs6kiss:

JAXRS6
July 11th, 2004, 05:46
I checked again tonight; still looks consistently bright.

Wang
July 11th, 2004, 06:57
one of my bulbs must be loose or went out. I'll have to get this fixed on first service. Now I am dreading the work that they will put into the dashboard and all its components to fix this. I may just leave it be until the warranty nears end or until it bothers me to the point that I cant stand it any longer.

Wang
July 12th, 2004, 05:18
Welp, its not a blown lightbulb, but an intermittent one. It worked fine tonight. I believe that the backlighting supposed to be self adjusting. Anyone know how its controlled ? Phototransistor, perhaps? I'm afraid that I might not be able to reproduce this at the dealer, but we'll see. Its a minor problem, but for a $90,000 car I don't expect any problems...wishful thinking!:addict: