PDA

View Full Version : About the fit of the enhanced exhaust systems...

Hy Octane
July 7th, 2004, 17:00
OK. My build date was 11/03. I have noticed that on the later builds it seems as tho they have extended the protrusion of the black tips about an inch or so past the oval cut-outs in the rear faring.. In other words, on the earlier build cars I have seen, the black tips are flush with the rear bodywork.. but on the newer ones they seem to protrude.. ( i know they expand when hot.. this is when cold).. At a recent Quattro club event I compared my tips to Benmans and he verified that mine extended about 1 inch as compared to his. I much prefer the flush look rather than the protruding one.. Anyone know if this is adjustable or why a change was made?

nene
July 7th, 2004, 18:17
I don't believe the statement about the build date making a difference to be true.

I got my car in July 2003 about a week before or after Finnus. When we were at the Fall Foliage drive last year, we noticed that his tips were not as flush to the body work as mine and John's car. The difference was anywhere between 1/2 inch to an inch, and not that much more. I think it was just the luck of the draw here.

On a good note though, if you have a friend that is knowledgeable with readjusting it, I'm sure it's possible to do so.

iconcls
July 7th, 2004, 19:03
I noticed it also, some are flush and some stick out a bit, I don't think it's related to build date.

BBGT2
July 7th, 2004, 23:12
I dont recall if the stock ones were adjustable I dont see why not, I know for a fact that my Milltek exhaust ones are def. adjustable and look AWESOME. Here is a pic for all interested.

RobertV
July 8th, 2004, 02:12
On the S6, which has an exhaust similar to yours, there are two couplings that connect the exhaust just behind the cats. On the S6 you can change the exhaust tip protrusion by loosening the two couplings and moving the exhaust for or aft.
So take a peak under the car, just about where you would sit and you will see the couplings I am taking about. You should be able to loosen both sides of both couplings and move the exhaust forward just enough to make you happy. The exhaust hangs on four rubber hangers, that can rotate on the mounting pins to slide the exhaust forward. Make sure you tighten it all back up and check for leaks.
Hope this helps PM.

Benman
July 12th, 2004, 02:42
Originally posted by Hy Octane
At a recent Quattro club event I compared my tips to Benmans
Hello Hy Octane:cheers:

Robert V's advise seems sound. Have you tried asking your dealer to take a peek? I know when we spoke you mentioned being concerned if the exhaust had not been pushed up tight against the down pipes. Doesn't hurt to ask them. Make sure to tell your son I say hello:cheers:
Ben:addict:

gjg
July 12th, 2004, 03:47
my Avant came with both exhaust pipes not centered in the opening - both sides were close to the center line of the car.

Dealer had to loose the couplings to twist it little bit .....

:mech: