Erik
July 3rd, 2004, 12:08
According to Autoweek

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/galleries/newm5/images/B_2025.jpg
http://www.autoweek.com/specials/galleries/newm5/images/1.jpg
http://www.autoweek.com/specials/galleries/newm5/images/B_2027.jpg
http://www.autoweek.com/specials/galleries/newm5/images/B_2028.jpg
http://www.autoweek.com/specials/galleries/newm5/images/B_2029.jpg

At the new M5’s heart is a purpose-built 5.0-liter V10 delivering 507 hp. With individual throttle butterflies, BMW’s bi-Vanos variable valve timing, dual-flow stainless steel exhaust system and a stratospheric 8250-rpm redline, the BMW delivers its 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 383 lb-ft 6100 rpm. This is up 107 hp and 15 lb-ft on the outgoing model’s 4.9-liter V8 engine, making the new M5 is the most powerful road-going BMW ever.

The engine is mated to a third-generation version of BMW’s sequential manual gearbox (SMG), now boasting seven forward ratios and new electronics to speed shift times 20 percent. With 11 different shift programs, six in manual mode and five in automatic, the driver can tailor the gearbox’s action to suit the conditions. There’s even a launch control function.

Another new feature is the M5’s power button. At start up, the driver is given access to 400 hp in a default program, dubbed P400. Depressing the button unleashes P500 and the engine’s full 507 hp wallop along with a more responsive throttle. In P500 BMW says the new car will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and its 155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec. (??????????) With its speed-limiting chip removed, BMW says its new sedan will reach 205 mph, although company policy prohibits official modification, even at the dealer level.

Underpinning the new M5 is a modified version of the 5-series’ MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension. While the geometry and pick-up points are the same, the ride height has been reduced and more negative camber added to handle cornering forces BMW claims can top 1.3 g.

The new car also adopts electronic damping control (EDC), providing the driver with three stiffness levels: comfort, normal and sport. The EDC is linked to the M5’s power steering system, which provides the driver two assistance levels.

There’s also two-stage dynamic stability control (DSC); the first stage with grip levels corresponding to a standard 5-series, the second stage, dubbed M Dynamic, allowing what BMW describes as “greater levels of slip.” Helping to rein the new M5 in are impressive looking 14.75-inch (front) and 14.5-inch (rear) ventilated and cross-drilled steel discs with twin-piston aluminum calipers. BMW says 62 to 0 mph takes less than 118 ft and 124 to 0 mph less than 460 ft.

BMW claims the new M5 can lap the Nürburgring, where much of its development was done, in 8 minutes, 25 seconds less than the outgoing M5.

BMW says the new car will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and its 155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec. :confused: With its speed-limiting chip removed, BMW says its new sedan will reach 205 mph, although company policy prohibits official modification, even at the dealer level.

At the new M5’s heart is a purpose-built 5.0-liter V10 delivering 507 hp. With individual throttle butterflies, BMW’s bi-Vanos variable valve timing, dual-flow stainless steel exhaust system and a stratospheric 8250-rpm redline, the BMW delivers its 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 383 lb-ft 6100 rpm. This is up 107 hp and 15 lb-ft on the outgoing model’s 4.9-liter V8 engine, making the new M5 is the most powerful road-going BMW ever.

Matteus
July 3rd, 2004, 12:31
0-250kph in 15 secs??? :confused: :confused: :vhmmm:
very hard to believe i think.
top speed of 330km/h??????????????
even more hard to believe if you ask me!

for the rest it's still a cool car.

matteus

Klint
July 3rd, 2004, 18:04
Well, here's my opinion on the information from Autoweek.

I believe the numbers are a little diluted, but if autoweek are correct (I seriously doubt that) then Gustav will be happy with his claimed 0-124mph time of mid 12 seconds (GT2 territory!)... :D ;)

I hope to god that the SMG pedals aren't mounted to the steering wheel like on the M3... Otherwise give us a manual box.

Well here's BMW's opnion on the subject:

http://www.bmw.com/generic/com/en/products/highlights/m5/phase_1/main.html

That's how you showcase a car to the world. Sensational. :asian: :bow: :asian:

Nordschleife
July 3rd, 2004, 18:34
Originally posted by Klint

I hope to god that the SMG pedals aren't mounted to the steering wheel like on the M3... Otherwise give us a manual box.

For your information, I have it on good authority that God drives a stick shift.

Why would you hope that the SMG paddles are not mounted on the steering wheel? That way they are always at your finger tips.

R+C

Klint
July 3rd, 2004, 19:41
Originally posted by Nordschleife
For your information, I have it on good authority that God drives a stick shift.

Why would you hope that the SMG paddles are not mounted on the steering wheel? That way they are always at your finger tips.

R+C

Funny. :hihi: :D

The paddles mounted to the steering wheel would only work when the steering has one turn or less from lock to lock, otherwise you'll end up having to switch over the paddles when the steering wheel is upside down, but even then, we all know that we should be at cornering speed (in turn the correct gear) as we enter the corner, thus not requiring to change gear throughout the corner (on the apex?), but when it comes to town it's totally different driving style required and an automatic function just doesn't cut the butter and neither would the paddles being mounted to the wheel.

I'd prefer the paddles to be mounted to the steering column.

Nordschleife
July 3rd, 2004, 22:56
Originally posted by Klint
The paddles mounted to the steering wheel would only work when the steering has one turn or less from lock to lock, otherwise you'll end up having to switch over the paddles when the steering wheel is upside down, but even then, we all know that we should be at cornering speed (in turn the correct gear) as we enter the corner, thus not requiring to change gear throughout the corner (on the apex?), but when it comes to town it's totally different driving style required and an automatic function just doesn't cut the butter and neither would the paddles being mounted to the wheel.

I'd prefer the paddles to be mounted to the steering column.

I think one of the problems is that a number of English speaking driving courses teach their attendees to shuffle the wheel between their hands. Lord (he of the stick shift) knows why, it takes time which the driver often doesn't have and even the best of them can forget where straight ahead is - look at the top race drivers, rally drivers and test drivers - they do not shuffle the wheel, they cross their arms if required. this means the paddles are always at your finger tips.

Now around town, one sometimes is using more lock than this; almost by definition, one is travelling quite slowly and not having to grab gears in a hurry, usually one would be in automatic mode, hence their position is a matter of indifference.

Now its a matter of preference, but I'd rather have the paddles at my fingertips when its important, which isn't ehen I'm at full left or right lock in a city.

If you adopt a 'proper driving position, not too far back (you can put your wrist on the top of the steering wheel without lmoving your shoulder off the back of the seat), with your hands at quarter to three, you have three quarters of a turn to left and right respectively without changing your grip, thats one and a half revolutions in total, and the paddles are always at your finger tips, the same finger tips are always used for up-shift and down-shift respectively all the time.

When I move the wheel a quarter turn in either direction, if the paddles are on the column, I kave to take a hand off the wheel to change gear, with the paddles on the wheel, they are at my finger tips.

One very good reason the paddles are not on the wheel of most race cars is that the wheel in a race car is removable.

R+C

nyrs6
July 4th, 2004, 04:59
0-155 in 14.9 sec is hard to believe you must have made a mistake and its 24.9

Klint
July 4th, 2004, 11:15
Originally posted by Nordschleife
I think one of the problems is that a number of English speaking driving courses teach their attendees to shuffle the wheel between their hands. Lord (he of the stick shift) knows why, it takes time which the driver often doesn't have and even the best of them can forget where straight ahead is - look at the top race drivers, rally drivers and test drivers - they do not shuffle the wheel, they cross their arms if required. this means the paddles are always at your finger tips.

Now around town, one sometimes is using more lock than this; almost by definition, one is travelling quite slowly and not having to grab gears in a hurry, usually one would be in automatic mode, hence their position is a matter of indifference.

Now its a matter of preference, but I'd rather have the paddles at my fingertips when its important, which isn't ehen I'm at full left or right lock in a city.

If you adopt a 'proper driving position, not too far back (you can put your wrist on the top of the steering wheel without lmoving your shoulder off the back of the seat), with your hands at quarter to three, you have three quarters of a turn to left and right respectively without changing your grip, thats one and a half revolutions in total, and the paddles are always at your finger tips, the same finger tips are always used for up-shift and down-shift respectively all the time.

When I move the wheel a quarter turn in either direction, if the paddles are on the column, I kave to take a hand off the wheel to change gear, with the paddles on the wheel, they are at my finger tips.

One very good reason the paddles are not on the wheel of most race cars is that the wheel in a race car is removable.

R+C

R+C,

Some interests facts as always.

I'm thinking of the narrow junctions within town where second gear is opted for to take the corner then upon going around the corner you come across someone walking across the road or another car blocking up the junction due to bad parking, this is where first gear will have to come in, while the steering wheel is on turn, this can be confussing to find the paddles to select first gear, since they're also in movement with the wheel.

I recon it's more down to personal preference than anything.

nyrs6
July 4th, 2004, 14:01
Originally posted by nyrs6
0-155 in 14.9 sec is hard to believe you must have made a mistake and its 24.9

and also BMW said 0-200 KMH 14.9 sec not 155 mph so 0-124 mph in 14.9 isnt that bad but thats very different then 155mph :D

Kram
July 5th, 2004, 05:01
I think, like some said at m5 forum, 14,9 from 60 to 155mph, wich gives 19,xsec to 155mph. Its fast, but not like a GT2 or a modded RS4.

4,7 to 100km/h, about 15 to 200km/h and +-20sec. to 250km/h.

Good, very good, but not enought :rs4addict :addict: