PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

k2
June 30th, 2004, 18:13
I have a friend who builds custom choppers in Sth Florida. I showed him the following RS6 morph and he loves it. He says he can fabricate this hood in about a month. What do you guys think?

Nordschleife
June 30th, 2004, 18:20
What plays in South Florida doesn't work in the rest of the world, fortunately.

R+C

Mikers6
June 30th, 2004, 18:21
Well, one thing `s for sure. you would have a very exclusive RS6.
:wo: :wo: :wo:

Mikers6

J0X
June 30th, 2004, 18:27
:bigeyes: Oh no! Please don't! :bigeyes:

JAXRS6
June 30th, 2004, 18:45
If you keep the original hood & can re-install it with no negative consequences at the time you decide to sell, then it might work for you. I doubt anyone else would want such a modification, based on my never seeing a newer high priced German car with such a mod -- even in Florida, where I wander between the Fort Lauderdalle area and the Gulf side from Nov-June. I have seen one or two Benzes all decked out with excess chrome and the like, but they were older.

I doubt anyone here will rave about the idea. But if you don't care about that, and you're sure you can restore to stock hood before selling, and you really want to do it ... well, hey, it's a free country!

RobertV
June 30th, 2004, 18:53
makes me think of an STI or EVO

gjg
June 30th, 2004, 19:42
yeah, does it come with bag of rice?

:harass: :harass:

TaTaPiRaTa
June 30th, 2004, 20:16
Not my taste :bigeyes:

Only missing thing would be big rear wing :hahahehe:

bilbozilla
June 30th, 2004, 20:54
WRS6

Aronis
June 30th, 2004, 21:11
Does it give the car any more POWER?????

If not, skip the pure cosmetics...not worth the money, rather spend it on another can of Zymol Estate Glaze LOL..

Mike

that reminds me I have to wax my car this weekend...

Erik
June 30th, 2004, 22:08
I took this picture yesterday. It is made out of carbon fibre.

http://www.rs6.com/gallery/data/524/2Mantorp-2004-0513.JPG

nyrs6
July 1st, 2004, 06:36
Originally posted by Aronis

that reminds me I have to wax my car this weekend...

Is it hard to wax in the heat?

JAXRS6
July 1st, 2004, 07:55
Originally posted by k2
I have a friend who builds custom choppers in Sth Florida....

I just thought of something, k2: Does your friend know that the RS6 hood is made of aluminum?

I don't know too much about aluminum, except that body shops working on it must have an extremely clean atmosphere. I'm not sure why; something to do with welding, maybe? In which case...well, I have no idea what welding may be needed for a hood (or bonnet if you prefer). Or maybe it's the painting process that requires near-sterile conditions. I read or heard somewhere that guys working on aluminum in body shops must wear special suits. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can offer more specific info.

He could always make your custom hood out of steel, of course, but then it would be heavier. How much, I don't know, but you should keep in mind that the RS6 already is front-heavy. If he plans to modify your existing hood ... well, that could create challenges at resale time; i.e. can he restore it to stock condition? Because as much as I believe you should do what you want, I honestly think a hood scoop won't work for resale.

As shown by Erik, carbon fiber is another option -- lighter but pricey. Someone who builds custom choppers may not be familiar with it, however.

Then again, with all the negative feedback here, maybe you won't proceed with the idea. Hope you'll let us know what you decide...and if you do go ahead, maybe you'd let me see the results when I head south around November.

k2
July 1st, 2004, 13:28
Jax ... carbon is his specialty and this is what he is proposing. He would remove the old lid (which i would obviously keep) and repace it with the CF design. He wants to match the weaving on the engine covers, but I'm thinking a black powder coat with a clear coat.

I spoke with the owner of my dealership and he said Audi had actually toy'd with the idea of a scoop, but dropped it after negative feedback from focus groups (sorta what I'm getting here). He thinks there would be some slight performance benefits from additional cool air circulating around the upper half of the engine and turbos. We would probably build channels into the hood so the air is diffused to strategic areas. There are numerous mechanical issue to address (like where to put the forced air, and how to keep the scoop from ripping off), but I'm curious to see if we can pull this off.

rs6_newyork
July 1st, 2004, 14:16
I prefer the more subtle RS4 scoops, to the mini cooper style scoop, or worse, the subaru type scoop.
If he could do a CF hood in the racing RS4 style I think it would look good on the right colored car.

Finnus
July 1st, 2004, 15:15
Please don't. But if you do , why not go all the way and add a huge spoiler/wing to the back as well (al la WRX sti or Lancer Evo)?

Finnus
:addict: :addict: :addict:

Nordschleife
July 1st, 2004, 16:18
Much easier just to buy a hood from Champion, more authentic, less ugly - its the REAL THING - racing heritage, they have done them before, they know what they are doing......

But you will have to completely change the internal plumbing to ensure the correct airflow to the vasrious places, its not haphazard, chucking a vented hood on the car might increase temps in some places, as the air flow is changed by the modified hood.

As far as focus groups and the RS6 - you salesman has an over active imagination - scoops, look at the rest of the car, it doesn't even have the gills that the RS4 has.

Really, you would do well to talk to Champion first, they have been there, done that, won the Championship.

R+C

gmbh6
July 1st, 2004, 18:25
Originally posted by k2
...What do you guys think?
Is that the new RS6 Cobra?

Looks too American for a German ride.