PDA

View Full Version : RS6 & Plus Known Faults

Sims
June 30th, 2004, 17:26
I have been reading of a number of faults - so far I have:

Condensation problem on the Avant (Lucky Yanks)

Tyre Pressure monitor being extra zealous

RS6+'s arriving with standard wheels instead of the Titanium look

RS6+'s arriving with black pedals instead of the silver ones on the continent

RS6+'s arriving without the silver number plaque

:nono:

Following comments from Nordschleife

The tyre pressure monitor sensitivity is usually an atmospheric problem. The tyre pressure sensors are identical to the ones used in the R8s and Bentleys at Le Mans. If you get big changes in atmospheric pressure and humidity, the tyre pressures will change.

You can add - bonnet flexing at speed, faulty air conditioning (surely fixed by now), wind noise round wing mirrors, rear differential heat exchanger fins falling off (wrong glue), turbos, exhaust manifolds, headlight adjustment........

R+C

mjrr
June 30th, 2004, 19:22
Today, at the Audi-dealer stood the RS6+ from the boss of the "VW Bank" ( it's #002). His car got a failure at the air-conditioner... but this should be a minor problem.

greets
mjrr

Sims
June 30th, 2004, 22:24
Originally posted by mjrr
Today, at the Audi-dealer stood the RS6+ from the boss of the "VW Bank" ( it's #002). His car got a failure at the air-conditioner... but this should be a minor problem.

greets
mjrr

How come he has number if the number is supposed to one of so many (999 or whatever). You would think the British cars too should have a number then. Or is to do with the price of Silver?

plus
July 1st, 2004, 08:35
we all have numbers ( the last three digits of the VIN) but its the total that are going to be built that is the unknown. Originally it was 999 but now it seems it will be less than that hence why we have no plaques until the final car is made. ie number 2/?

:addict: PLUS

TheBrit
July 1st, 2004, 11:21
Originally posted by PP
You can add - bonnet flexing at speed, faulty air conditioning (surely fixed by now), wind noise round wing mirrors, rear differential heat exchanger fins falling off (wrong glue), turbos, exhaust manifolds, headlight adjustment........
I must have missed that post. Now I'm getting paranoid, especially about the differential heat exchanger, I must stick my head under there some time and make sure it's still there. I would expect that earlier cars would have more problems, and mine's quite an old one and was built during October, so who knows?

No AC problem that I'm aware of, no condensation problem to speak of and I haven't had any issues that I know of with turbos, exhausts or headlights. I do agree that the wing mirrors are noisy at speed though.

And one last one, partly precipitated by the "suspension harshness" post - if somehow DRC were to be damaged, is it possible for the DRC pressure lines to become depressurised without losing all the damping fluid in the suspension as well? Would a loss of damping fluid cause more "bounce" in the suspension? I don't know if I'm just getting used to it, or if there's a problem, but I am starting to wonder if I have too much body roll and not enough thump over rough roads any more...

Nordschleife
July 1st, 2004, 16:21
The standard RS6 has a lot of body roll, I suspect you just haven't noticed it before.
The production car rolls a lot more than any of the preproduction cars I drove.

R+C

Sims
July 1st, 2004, 16:25
Originally posted by Nordschleife
The standard RS6 has a lot of body roll, I suspect you just haven't noticed it before.
R+C

Hopefully the Rs6+ will be better?

The production car rolls a lot more than any of the preproduction cars I drove.

R+C

What changed?

Erik
July 1st, 2004, 16:40
When you read Nordschleife's comment it might be good to know that he might use and drive his cars a bit over average ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

The GT3 and the RS6 have about the same speed in the 110 m slalom course. 139 vs. 137 km/h - the DRC works in some way believe it or not!

Nordschleife
July 1st, 2004, 17:43
Originally posted by Erik
The GT3 and the RS6 have about the same speed in the 110 m slalom course. 139 vs. 137 km/h - the DRC works in some way believe it or not!

Erik

That might be so with a good driver, but on the tight slalom with an average driver you don't have to be very good to beat it in a 3 litre A4.

Given how long my tyres always last, I'm not a hard driver!

R+C

TheBrit
July 1st, 2004, 18:38
Possibly so, it is better than I remember the S8 being, so perhaps I've never really thought about it until recently. Motoring hypochondria creeping in I think, perhaps I just can't believe I've got a 37,000 mile Audi with nothing substantial broken on it yet?