PDA

View Full Version : Condensation problem...update

AlanN
June 30th, 2004, 11:40
I thought you might all like to hear this.

As some may remember, I have been having terrible condensation problems with my car when parked up if it's raining or very damp outside.

Well I finally got my dealer to look at it and they took the car for two whole days, luckily one of which was very rainy indeed :shock:

I swear they thought I was making it all up, the whole thing sounded so unlikely and they didn't believe the extent of the problem.
Well they rang me on the second day and said they were amazed at how bad it was, and that they had been in touch with Audi in Germany who had acknoledged it as a "known problem".

It took a couple of days for Audi to get back to them with the solution, however they rang me yesterday to say they now had the "fix proceedure" and had booked my car in for the end of the month and ordered the parts.

They then informed me that it was going to be up to a FOUR DAY JOB!!!! :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

What the heck do you reckon they are going to do?

I'll keep you informed.

Nordschleife
June 30th, 2004, 12:19
I'm not surprised, the HVAC system is quite fragile on these cars. Its hard to work on thanks to the densepack sub-bonnet engineering package.

R+C

k2
June 30th, 2004, 14:50
Alan,

Where are you located ... US ... High humidity locale ... cool ... hot ... etc ?

Mikers6
June 30th, 2004, 15:09
:mech: sorry to hear that. not the kind of problem we have over here South Spain. Its so damn Hot and it hardly rains, so we might face very different problems on the RS6, but surely not that one !!!!

Although everywhere else, the air conditioning on RS6 probably works perfect, over here it feels a bit short on its capacity to cool down temp. inside the car.

Wish they would make the Recaro Seats with air cond. like in some Mercedes models (CL, etc)

Please let us know waht they finnaly did to do car.

MIKERS

:snow:

AlanN
June 30th, 2004, 15:54
"densepack sub-bonnet engineering package"

Excellent :D

Funny thing is, there is a bloke who lives in a village not 5 miles from me with an Avant that has the very same problem!

Very interested to see what it is in the end...

Bauer
June 30th, 2004, 17:13
Well I may have the same problem and my car is all torn apart waiting for figgin turbo gaskets. So if they were to do the repair it might be easier since the motor and trans are out. I think I will give them a call. Only problem is I can see them saying since they could not confirm it that they could not fix it.

rs6_newyork
June 30th, 2004, 17:17
maybe ALL RS6 have this problem but only people who leave it in the rain overnight in certain climates notice :(

AlanN
June 30th, 2004, 17:50
My car is never left in the rain overnight.
This problem only occurs if you drive the car with the aircon on and then park it for 15 minutes or more in rainy/very damp conditions.

There is also a very unpleasant smell emitted from the aircon everytime I start the car.
Something is definately not right :hahahehe:

Erik
June 30th, 2004, 17:55
I had the same problem in my A6.

It didn't take 4 days to fix. But it cost me a new TV-nox for 450 USD :w:

TaTaPiRaTa
June 30th, 2004, 20:09
Have the same problem with RS6 Avant,

If anybody knows the cure let me know, my warranty lasts soon (2y only).

:rs6kiss:

AlanN
July 1st, 2004, 15:21
Marcin,
I would register your concern NOW with your dealer, and make them aware that you know of at least two other cars with this problem.

I say two because I have a friend who lives not 5 miles from me with an Avant and he has the same problem.
It would seem at the moment that only Avants are affected which is very strange indeed :eye:

Unfortunately my car does not go in to be fixed until the end of this month so I cannot tell you until then what the problem is, however as soon as I know I will post here.

Johfra
July 1st, 2004, 17:32
AlanN- Does your RS6 have the Warm Weather package? Mine does and I too have a severe condesation issue as you described in yours. I believe the wwp blows air through the vents when the car is parked when the temp gets to a certain point. It works off the solar panel in the sun roof.

Mine also has a smell when I put the AC on. Most of the time it's pleasant enough to hit the ECON button (in north central NJ, USA).

Looking forward to hearing the resolution and once it is done, if possible to get a copy of the work order so my dealer has the info for mine.