PDA

View Full Version : phatbox - install - too many bucks

rs6_newyork
June 29th, 2004, 20:51
The local certified RS6 dealer says that running a phatbox cd harness cable is a serious job and will take between 8 and 10 hours of labor (at 110 bucks an hour).

He justifies this by saying that the RS6 is all different and much harder with respect to trim and so on.

Has anyone got the install part of the phatbox done for reasonable money?

what dealer was it that did the work?

thanks

theskipper
June 29th, 2004, 21:23
Sorry to your dealer, but he's full of it. The RS6 trim, apart from materials, is no different and this install is no more complicated than a run-of-the-mill A6. You're probably better off using a good stereo shop; my regular one here on the left coast did my RS6 and the wife's Allroad for $75 each, pulling the cable took less than an hour on each car and was a perfect job.

BTW the PhatBox fits nicely into the CD changer space in the "rack" in the left-side trunk storage compartment. I drilled and tapped new holes in the aluminum mounting flanges to secure it. This is much neater and safer installation than securing it to the side of the trunk per Audi's instructions.

Good luck, you'll love it.

Regards
Skip
'03 RS6
'04 Allroad
'67 E Type FHC

rs6_newyork
June 29th, 2004, 22:16
zumbach ny quoted 8-10 hours at 110 bucks an hour, they gave me all the warnings about it being non standard.

audi fairfield of CT quoted 4.5 hours

btw, which orientation did you mount it in the rack? factory navi box sits there on mine. I tried putting it on the other shelf but it protrudes too much one way and doesnt fit, the other way.

you're probably right, i'll try to combine this will a full stereo system upgrade which I want to do anyway. Shame, I was dying to use it now, not in two-three weeks when the stereo shop can fit me in!

gjg
June 29th, 2004, 22:51
The local certified RS6 dealer says that running a phatbox cd harness cable is a serious job and will take between 8 and 10 hours of labor (at 110 bucks an hour).

rs6_newyork, the dealer is full of shit .....

my gyus (not certified RS6 dealer shop ...) installed Phatbox in Avant in about 1 and half hours. That included grounding the back part of phatbox casing approx. 1/2" to place it horizontaly in the left fender well (to fit it on the shelf). They also cut approx. 1/2"x3" in the cover insunlation to make sure the cartridge will not push againt it. And the Phatbox setup ...

Wiring itself was approx. 30 minutes of work (to take out molding/carpet on left side to hide wirring.

To be fair they install about 900 two-way radios a year but still - not having any Audi info.... I can't see anyone with little install experience needing 4-8 hours they have quoted.

What was real bitch to do was V1 power to the fuse box to a ignition key switched fuse - about same amount of time as Phatbox ....

gg

:thumb:

rs6_newyork
June 30th, 2004, 03:52
so they didn't route it under the sills etc? they did it under the interior carpets?

I did the V1 install myself by cutting and crimp-connecting from the powered rear vision mirror. Attached some spiral cable, and it works great! the spiral cable pulls it out of sight when you disconnect the V1.

the AW tech article recommended Radio shack phone taps but I found them a PITA so I just used tiny crimp connectors instead.

Anyway thats all by the by. I've cancelled the dealer bookings and now boston rich's car tunes is going to do everything. The cost of doing the cable pull will be lost in the noise of the overall invoice for new custom subs, new speakers, new amps, laser diffuser and so on. They say they'll have the car for about 8 days! Great place to work with though.

http://www.cartunes.com/installs/audi/index.htm

drmrg
June 30th, 2004, 04:08
My local Audi Dealer, vin Devers (Toledo, OH) charged me one hours worth of labor, for a total of like 100 bucks after incluing some cable crud they said they needed.

Now Vin Devers has a justly earned reputation for being a pack of thieves, but it looks like they were being very kindly to me...

The website has the installation manual for the phat box, and it is definitely NOT an eight hour ordeal...

I probably would have done it myself, except that I kind of like the idea of calling up the dealer and starting to yell until I cant hear myself yelling anymore

:rs6kiss: :bye2:

gjg
June 30th, 2004, 07:59
so they didn't route it under the sills etc? they did it under the interior carpets?

yes, under the carpet.

That audio install is a nice job .... :thumb: