PDA

View Full Version : Any New Englanders here? Need advice on scenic drive

JA
June 25th, 2004, 19:19
I will be driving from Boston to Bretton Woods, NH (Mt. Washington Hotel) next week. If anyone familiar with the terrain has any suggestions for a scenic route, I'd appreciate it.

Also, would appreciate advice on scenic day drives in the Mt. Washington area which might be particularly "Beast-worthy".

Thanks in advance.

eph94
June 26th, 2004, 03:48
Any time you head up into the White Mountains of New Hampshire you're bound to see some great scenery regardless of the route. If your coming from Boston, chances are you'll take Route 93, passing through Manchester and Concord on the way. Route 93 is more of a cruise control type highway, but when it opens up, traffic runs fast.

Another option is taking Route 1 to Route 95 and then hook up with Route 16 all the way up north. This will bring you past the shopping outlets in the Conway and North Conway area. The problem with Route 16 is that it passes through small towns with aggressive police. The climbing lanes are fun, but police are EVERYWHERE. If you take this route, there is a street called West Side Road that branches off of Route 16. It eventually connects with Route 302, which is where think you need to go to get to the Mt. Washington Hotel. That road can be FUN and it reminds me of a road course with the elevation changes and blind corners. The only problem is that there are no flag workers to let you know if there are problems ahead.

While you're up there, you might also want to try the Mount Washington Auto Road. If you do that, take a winter coat because it gets COLD at the summit, even if it's 90 degrees at the base.

Aronis
June 27th, 2004, 01:42
You'll have a blast on the route by Mount Washington. Nice open roads, great scenery. Try to hook up with another driver so you can share the speeding ticket RISK.

Have fun.

By the way, in the fall that route has great color......

Mike

nyrs6
June 27th, 2004, 06:54
when we went to NH we found a 35 mile route with twistes and almost no one on the road and who ever is there are plenty of stright aways to pass :D