PDA

View Full Version : Used wheels/tires on ebay

romac
June 19th, 2004, 23:20
Anyone familiar with these? Whats the opinion on a reasonable price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7906323192&category=66484

gjg
June 20th, 2004, 08:18
Genuine Audi Products
The Real Deal
These wheels sell from the dealer for more than $3,000.00
Without tires

not sure where this guy shops ....

:rolleyes:

gregoryindiana
June 21st, 2004, 03:25
assuming the wheels are straight, as he states, then subtract the cost of dismounting and remounting and balancing, say about $200 for all 4.

Then subtract the cost of restoring these wheels, conservatively about $150 or $175 PER WHEEL.

Subtract that from $600 per wheel WITH tire, both in perfect condition, that you might pay, and I would estimate that a price of about $1500 would be fair for this item to buyer and seller.

Just my opinion, which since I'm not buying, doesn't count for much.

I've had my car for the better part of a year, with nothing close to that kind of damage. What are these folks doing to their cars?

gjg
June 21st, 2004, 07:02
Subtract that from $600 per wheel WITH tire, both in perfect condition, that you might pay, and I would estimate that a price of about $1500 would be fair for this item to buyer and seller.

and you still have used wheels with no assurance of no other "damage" ....

romac
June 21st, 2004, 23:33
Originally posted by gregoryindiana

Where do you get the $600 per with tire for the OEM setup?
The Audi USA catalog lists the wheels alone at $750. I've not seen the 9 spoke in an 18x8.5 offered anywhere else.

gregoryindiana
June 22nd, 2004, 02:44
I have repeatedly seen these wheels offered on ebay.de for prices as low as 500 per wheel, and they did sell. Shipping costs obviously vary depending on distance.

You have to be able to read German, or use a web translator.

Some are pristine, some are not.

I apologize if I seemed to be referring to the stock US 18 inch wheel. But the point of deciding on a price below Audi's price is the same.

The price I stated of $600 represents a discount for the fact that you are buying an article that is represented as being in perfect condition, versus buying from Audi, where you have legal recourse to get a wheel that IS perfect if the first one you get is not. Same goes for the tires. Did the previous owner, though he only ran them for a thousand miles, have the alignment perfect? Even if your car's alignment is perfect, 1000 miles of bad wear ensures that the tires will never be right on your car.

As an example, I put my street tires and wheels back on an Audi S4 that I had set up with negative camber for track weekends. I only ran them with the street tires for 3 weeks, then took the car in and had a street alignment done at the same time the snow tires and wheels were put on.

The next spring, I put the summer street tires and wheels on and the noise from the uneven wear was unbelievable. I couldn't wait for them to wear out and be replaced, so I left them on for a track weekend just to be rid of them. The replacements went on with standard stock alignment, and the problem never recurred.

romac
June 22nd, 2004, 03:23
I've also seen similar pricing on the 5 spoke, but I'm hooked on the 9. I'm not really concerned about the tires as I swapped the original Dunlops for a set of Pilot Sport A/S when I took delivery last year. The plan was to get another set of wheels but since I can't find anything I like, I now have a set of tires with all of 39 miles, sitting in my basement waiting rims. If I can't pull the trigger on the nines, I'll most likely go for the 5 spoke.

Alex K
June 24th, 2004, 08:21
I bought the 19` 5 spokes from Ebay in Germany last summer to have an identical set of wheels for mounting winter tires.
Canīt complain.
Seller was a guy working for Audi in Neckarsulm (where the RS6 is built) and he obviously got his hands on a brand new set of wheels (with brand new 255/35 Contis) that only had a few minor scratches (too many to be delivered as a new car) but hardly noticible.
Got the set for 1400 Euro. Been watching Ebay ever since to find out whether I got myself a bargain or not. Most sets in similar condition and with tires tend to sell for around Euro 1500.

sturs6
June 25th, 2004, 03:40
Hey Romac are you looking for a set of nine spokes is that what this is about?
I have a set sitting at the tuner in town waiting for me to pick up do you want me to send them your way? I am going by there tomorrow. PM me!!!
-Stuart:addict: