PDA

View Full Version : protection on road coarse

nyrs6
June 18th, 2004, 15:36
does anyone know what type of tape do you use for fenders and headlights? Is painter tape good enough?

Klint
June 18th, 2004, 15:53
Duct tape tends to be a favourite, over here.

Not sure how friendly it is to the paint work, though, but it's either that or lots of stone chips, scratches and what not from having none on at all. :rolleyes:

Erik
June 18th, 2004, 16:11
3M?

JAXRS6
June 18th, 2004, 17:57
There is a type of masking tape that is designed for longer term use because it doesn't dry & fry so quickly. Maybe at Home Depot or the like; read label, etc.; main concern I have is not leaving a sticky residue, or the tape not coming off. If it's bad enough, I would think that removing it could damage your finish or headlight cover.

Even the stuff designed for longer term use "fried" onto parts of my boat's wood trim after a week, tho it was supposed to last that long. My being in Florida doesn't help, I'm sure.

Potential for sticky residue makes me wary of duct tape, at least in June in Florida. Definitely would avoid regular masking tape as well.

eph94
June 18th, 2004, 20:32
I have used "racing tape" but it also leaves a residue after heating up. I haven't been able to get all the gunk off, but then again, I haven't tried too hard. That kind of stuff really doesn't bother me. (The detailers in here are probably cringing.) I was thinking of making the switch painter tape, though. I've seen others who have gone that route with success.

Bauer
June 18th, 2004, 21:16
Just get a clear bra or 3M X-pel product. Solves many problems, saved me from someone who tried to key my car. Also got it added on the fenders, rear bumped and side skirts. Works great, some of the best money I have spent:D

JAXRS6
June 18th, 2004, 21:49
I agree with Bauer re 3M or other similar protective film, if you want to spend the money. The advantage is that it's a permanent fix, not just for track but for damage from following gravel trucks etc. Also allows one to scrub when needed to remove bugs or tar, without damaging finish (altho I remove bugs & tar without scrubbing about 99% of the time).

Adding film protection is especially worthwhile when the car is very new, so that you don't end up covering over nicks or having to get them repainted.

If you're interested here's a distributor in Michigan that has installers in several US markets for a 3M product from Britain called ... heck, can't remember, but Armour is in the name I think. They have a pattern specific to the RS6 and at 21.400 miles, I am SO glad I got it. Comes with four year warranty. The US link is below if I'm remembering correctly.

http://www.bikeshield.com

Good luck :thumb:

Jack
June 19th, 2004, 02:31
3M blue (painters) masking tape works great -- protects the paint and leaves no residue behind. You can be as creative (read...anal) as you wish...:D

http://jackspictures.com/images/996TT/Tape%20Bra1-small.jpg

JAXRS6
June 19th, 2004, 02:48
Originally posted by Jack
3M blue (painters) masking tape works great -- protects the paint and leaves no residue behind.

That's the stuff I was trying to describe earlier as longer-lasting. I now remember, it was blue -- thanks!:thumb:

bilbozilla
June 19th, 2004, 03:42
Painter's tape works great, however, don't leave it on for more than 4 or 5 days or it will leave residue.

gregoryindiana
June 19th, 2004, 21:32
If you're interested here's a distributor in Michigan that has installers in several US markets for a 3M product from Britain called ... heck, can't remember, but Armour is in the name I think. They have a pattern specific to the RS6 and at 21.400 miles, I am SO glad I got it. Comes with four year warranty. The US link is below if I'm remembering correctly.

http://www.bikeshield.com

I agree with the permanent solution. I went with that with no regrets; particularly since they are widening the interstate here to 3 lanes each way, the f]gravel trucks are abominable.

The stuff is Armourfend; mine was installed locally, with great results.

I'll never have a new car again without having it put on in the first 200 miles, it is a lifesaver for the finish from gravel, bugs, and tar.