PDA

View Full Version : Paging Klint....heading to you neck of the woods

Bauer
June 17th, 2004, 01:12
So Klint,

Wife and I are going to Dublin and Kilarney(maybe spelled wrong:D ) for about 5 days, 3 for work. Spending two nights in Dublin on either end of the trip. Any tips for Dublin, its only a boat ride away for you so I assume you have been.

After that off to Paris for three nights and two in Reims to drink a little of the sparkly stuff, my wife loves it, the drunk that she is.

Cheers

Klint
June 17th, 2004, 14:08
Hey Bauer!

Actually I've never visted Ireland, but I have many contacts who've come from the Dublin/Ireland area...I'll see what I can do, just bear with me. I'll go pester them for things to do...:D

;)

Bauer
June 17th, 2004, 18:58
Klint! You have not visited Guinness to put back some of the good stuff??

Thanks in advance for your suggestions:applause:

Ben

Klint
June 17th, 2004, 19:31
Originally posted by Bauer
Klint! You have not visited Guinness to put back some of the good stuff??

Thanks in advance for your suggestions:applause:

Ben

Not yet! I keep heading East (To England) and forget about the Western frontier (Ireland).

Here's a few places in Dublin that has been brought up by a good friend of mine, remember I haven't seen/been to these places so I couldn't give MHO on the attractions:

- Temple Bar is apparantly a must visit

- Dublin Castle at sunset (Sun sets at approx. 10:30-11pm here)

- Guiness Storehouse is definitely a must see.

- Pheonix Park, apparantly there's a nice monument in the middle - worth a look.

-Ask a cab driver for the direction to the nearest "Hurling" game, you'll enjoy that local speciality.

I struggle to pronounce Kilarney to my friend, so the results were a little off, with the place registered as an un-known. :rolleyes:

There's a place called 'Kildare' though? is that the place? :confused:

It's a little market town southwesternish from Dublin?

Remember, they use Euros € in Dublin and the Irish accent is soo strong it's a $£"! to understand many of times. :D

Erik
June 17th, 2004, 20:15
I've been to Dublin a few times.

I remember Temple Bar. http://www.temple-bar.ie/ :cheers:

If I remeber correct, the whole area along the quay (one street up) was full of bars. Not really fancy stuff, but good beer and a lot of single malt. A lot of the restaurants were fully booked, so advanced booking might be adviceable.

A lot of the irish are red haired. Might have something to do with all the Viking stuff they've found along the quay ;) :D

Map:
http://www.temple-bar.ie/flash/maptbp.htm

Paris - used to live there for 3 years. A lot of stuff to do there and place to see!

Bauer
June 17th, 2004, 21:25
It's a little market town southwesternish from Dublin?

That may be the place. not sure though. Thanks again for all of the info. Hopefully I won't be too drunk to forget, maybe I should write it down:D :D

Paris - used to live there for 3 years. A lot of stuff to do there and place to see!

That's it? thats how your going to leave it? Such a tease. Been to Paris once before about 2 years ago. How about a few recomendations? Bars, Clubs, palces to eat you know the good stuff.:hahahehe:

Klint
June 18th, 2004, 00:48
Ben,

It's a pleasure, it try my best most of the time to help a fellow board memeber, although i've let a few down as of late due to other commitments. :rolleyes:

Enjoy yourself!

Remember there's some kind of mascott in Ireland and it's a little elf dude, always has some kind of luck if you take one home with you, they make nice souveneers too (sp?).

Don't mind me asking, when will you be visiting Ireland?

Ever feel the urge to pop over to these shores, you know where to contact me. ;) (Same goes to everyone)

All the best,

Bauer
June 18th, 2004, 01:14
Klint-

Thanks agian for the help and don't ever worry about "letting down" board members because family is always the most important part of life.

We will be in Ireland from the 10th of July to the 16th. Then Paris from 16th to the 18th, Reims from the 18th to the 20th and one last day in Paris, the 21st and then back to the SF Bay Area. Would love to stay longer but can't due to getting back to business.

Would love to take the boat over but don't have time this trip. We will be in Italy, Switzerland and maybe London next year. Might be a better opportunity at that time.

Thanks again

Klint
June 18th, 2004, 17:15
Ben,

It's unfortuante you can't make it over, but no worries, there's always some other time...

Enjoy yourself in Ireland, Paris and Reims, with your lady. All the best for a safe journey aswell.

I forgot to add - The Dublin Zoo, that might interest you folks when your visiting.

Best Wishes,

:thumb:

Don't forget to report back here as to how the trip went. :bye:

Bauer
June 21st, 2004, 19:21

Erik,

Have any recommendations for Bar's, Clubs, restaurants and/or sights is Paris. Figure a former "local" may have some good ideas. Please note: When recommending places please keep in mind my wife and I really enjoy :cheers: :D :D

Thanks in advance

Erik
June 21st, 2004, 19:34
Bauer,

I'd love to help but I lived there 1985-88. :vhmmm:

However I'll do my best

I can really recommend a restaurant called Le Relais du Venice, I am 99% sure this is the one.
They serve a really nice entrecôte with superb french fries and super-super sauce.

http://travel.hispeed.com/parisrestaurantsvalue.htm
LE RELAIS DE VENISE
271 bd Péreire (Porte Maillot)
01 45 7 4 27 97

They DO NOT take reservations. Last time I was there they opened 19:00 and it's a good idea to be there around then.
Also - give them a call before to see that they are open (summer holidays).

SIGHTS.

Eifel tower
La Défence - modern area outside Paris http://ssr.pp.ru/vis/v_paris.html
Champs Elysées - http://sunsite.tus.ac.jp/wm/paris/hist/triomphale.html
If you have the time and the weather is nice: Versailles - http://www.chateauversailles.fr/

Versailles - July 14 is their national holiday so you're going to miss a lot of fireworks!

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/images/parterresud-Z.jpg

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/images/Trianon-Z.jpg

Reims:

http://www.tourisme.fr/reims/
http://www.ville-reims.com/

Champagne: http://www.umc.fr/traduction/english/limach_gb.htm

Once you're done with the Champagne...Notre-Dame Cathedral

http://www.netfabrik.com/otreims/images/cathedrale_reims_chevet.jpg

"A masterpiece of Gothic art, the Cathedral of Our Lady was started in 1211. It was the cathedral of coronations for French kings in memory of the baptism of Clovis by Saint Remi, probably on Christmas Day 498. The left portal on the west front carries the famous Smiling Angel statue."

Erik
July 27th, 2004, 09:49
Bauer,

Did you try "Le Relais du Venice" in Paris?

Going to Paris for 2 days this week so I really really hope it's open. :heart:

Discovered this as well... :)

Showroom Audi : 6, rue royale 75008 Paris - Tel : 01 42 86 58 58
http://www.passionautomobile.com/webpage/showroom.html

Bauer
July 28th, 2004, 22:02
Erik,

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner. We did not eat there, and ended up the first night eating at The Ritz Paris where we stayed. Fantastic 5 course meal and two and a half bottles of the bubblie:p and then went to a bar down the street called Footsie on rue Daunou and ended up meeting some locals. Stayed there until about 4:00am at which point I decided to get my wife off the bar. Where she was dancing with the bartender who we had also befriended. Needless to say the walk home was a bit rough. As was her trying get the room form spinning puke: . So the next day she slept.......all day, and I walk around Paris checking the sites. I was so romantic:D :D . The the next night went right down the street to Cafe Ruc which was pretty good.

Anyway, thanks for the recomendations. Next time I will try and not go out until 4 am and then throw the next two days off:rolleyes:

Had a great trip though:thumb:

Klint
July 29th, 2004, 15:51
Ben,

Sounds like you and Jennifer had a great trip! What's it with the high alcohol levels? It's not good for your health you know. ;)

Bauer
July 29th, 2004, 17:13
What's it with the high alcohol levels? It's not good for your health you know.

Blah, Blah, Blah......heard it all before....blowing off a little steam......like every weekend...just kidding of course. Also, still trying to grow up...can't seem to get past adolescenes:D :D

:cheers:

Miss TTR
July 30th, 2004, 13:06
Ohhhh... what a shame I didn't see this thread before...
I live in Dublin !!!!

I could have helped you out with some tips

Next time maybe

Take care

Phoebe

Miss TTR
July 30th, 2004, 15:58
Originally posted by Erik A lot of the irish are red haired. Might have something to do with all the Viking stuff they've found along the quay ;) :D

I'm afraid... this is not true.... :D

But they do drink a lot of Guinness in the Pub, watch
hurling games and gaelic football.

Kildare is one of the 26 counties in the Republic of Ireland, southern county Dublin

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 01:40
Ohhhh... what a shame I didn't see this thread before...

I could have helped you out with some tips

Next time maybe

More info is always better. Thanks for the offer...had a great time in Ireland and France....people in Ireland are a bit more friendly:D :D

Took some pics and Klint said he wanted to see some so here we go.

Guinness Storehouse..from the Gravity Bar on the roof....pic of Dublin.

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 01:45
nothing like a FRESH pint of Guinness at 11:00 am....we had to catch a filght @ 2:00 to Paris and I wanted to start my day out right:D :D ......I was so impatient that I started drinking it and then it hit me....crap I should be documenting this:hahahehe:

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 01:51
Muckross House is in southern Ireland in the town of Killarney...beautifull palce. Got a tour of it ....100 rooms. Very cool. I believe there were a total of 4 owners through its history and now the goverment owns it, as it was given to them by the last owner. Kind of and interesting story, I believe a wealthy Californian bought for his daughter and her new Irish husband. Shortly thereafter she died at a very young age and the husband donated it to the govt.

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 01:55
Labo parked in the garage at the Champs Elysees

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 01:59
Arch de Triumph from hotel room

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:02
Caves at Veuve Clicquot......my wife was in heaven

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:05
Booze gods carved in the linestone walls of the caves. Gods of wine and champagne.

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:06
Eiffel Tower at dusk....now I am a little out of order with the ocis:rolleyes:

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:08
back to Reims in the Champagne region...and here is the cathedral....pretty amazing in person

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:10
My wife in front of the place where we stayed in Reims.....she threw up her hands in vacation joy and said I am king (really queen) of the world:hihi: :D

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:15
hey look I own a dealership in France

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:16
a view of Reims at dusk....

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:22
Krug Champagne house....this was a very cool and interesting tour only two couples on it. Krug is the only House to use French oak barrels to ferment all of the wines before turning it into champagne. All of the other houses went to stainless steel in the 70's. A very few houses do use Frenck oak barrels to ferment their vintage champagne. Krug is my favorite champagne....not really a big drinker of it but this stuff I could drink all the time:D :hahahehe:

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:28
Riddling racks...this is where they let the champagne age and slowly collect all of the sediment in the the head of the bottle. The turn the bottle by hand a quarter rotation every so often and then over time the sediment will collect and then they freeze the top of the bottle and a small piece of ice with all of the sediment comes out when they open it. Then they top it off and recork it. Veuve Clicquote was the originator of this process. Before that they would just drink as is.

Bauer
August 4th, 2004, 02:33
Damm where the hell is my RS6 when I need it. A debadged M5 on the A4 from Reims to Paris. He couldn't loose me in my Volvo V70 deisel wagon....I was driving that thing apart:incar: :hahahehe: . when we came to the pay tolls he would go to the cash lane....didn't figure this out the first time as I was in the credit card lane.....then I our way to the second toll it hit me. Ahhhh ha they time the credit card transaction and then just mail the ticket. Needless to say I used the next cash lane:hahahehe:

Klint
August 4th, 2004, 11:55
Ben,

Excellent Pictures, thanks for sharing those with us.

Take it you had a hire car for the France part of the trip? Manage to survive the round about at the Arch De Triumph? :D

Looks like you missed the underground tour, in Paris of the skeletons where the bodies were stored when there was the plague, something different. :D ;)

The trip looks great. Glad you and missus enjoyed it, as always looks like it was a dismerable overcasty weathered day over in Ireland. :boring:

Erik
August 4th, 2004, 13:31
Very funny! Thanks for the story and pictures! :cool2:

Miss TTR
August 5th, 2004, 11:58
Originally posted by Klint looks like it was a dismerable overcasty weathered day over in Ireland. :boring: [/B]

Tell me about that... but this is not a surprise!
The best moment of the year, is in May...
we had a great great weather.
Very warm, but not too hot, not a single
cloud for a whole month... it was lovely

Thanks Bauer for the pictures... seems like you
had a great time. :D