PDA

View Full Version : Today was a nice day!

avdh
June 16th, 2004, 13:49
Since I have the RS6, life can be a bit boring on South African roads.
Most of the M3/M5 guys, who used to give me a hard time when I had the S6 are either on the wrong side of the road, or if next to me or in front, totally ignore me and drive like old ladies.

I had a few succesful runs with Porsches (GT3: RS6 faster in fourth, 993/911T +/- =), some months ago, but since then nothing of much interest.

Well today was different, and before you start flaming me, remember that I leave at 1750m altitude (5250 ft), run my stock RS6 on high octane fuel and thus do not have, thanks to the turbo, the usual 16% power loss normally aspirated cars suffer from.

Today being a public holiday in SA, there wasn't much traffic. First there was that black SL500 which the RS6 devoured for breakfast and I mean that literally. I couldn't help but smile.

But later, a Gallardo! The RS6 did not devoure it, but managed to keep up pretty well. We only had one run over 500 metres or so, then there was traffic and the Gallardo guy, did a bit of a stupid overtaking manoeuvre and I got stuck behind a 4x4. He did slow down to wait for me, as he was turning left and smiled! I gave him the thumb up.

Well I would have preffered being faster than him, but I guess keeping up with a Gallardo, from 0 to +/- 190 km/h is actually quite nice.

Now I have a smile stuck on my face :)

Only think I wish is that the RS6 would sound as loud as the Gallardo... I could hardly hear my own engine/exhaust...

Benman
June 16th, 2004, 15:02
Originally posted by avdh
Well today was different, and before you start flaming me, remember that I leave at 1750m altitude (5250 ft), run my stock RS6 on high octane fuel and thus do not have, thanks to the turbo, the usual 16% power loss normally aspirated cars suffer from.

Well I would have preffered being faster than him, but I guess keeping up with a Gallardo, from 0 to +/- 190 km/h is actually quite nice.

No flaming needed. The Beast is a truely capable vehicle that holds it's own against most cars in the real world. To hang in there against a Gallardo (one of Nordschliefe's favorites and more than double the price of the RS 6!) is a real testament!:cheers:
Ben:addict:

Nordschleife
June 16th, 2004, 16:51
I'm surprised that the price differential is so great in the US. Its less than 50% in Europe, and the cost of exclusive interiors is much lower on the Gallardo.

R+C

avdh
June 16th, 2004, 17:01
In South Africa the Gallardo is over three times the price of the RS6!

It may be my dream car, but most likely will remain a dream forever...

Maybe the Audi Le Mans will be more reasonably priced here.

GmbHouse
June 16th, 2004, 17:03
I just met a guy who owns both a stock RS6 and a Gallardo and he said he thought the RS6 was faster. Our altitude makes a difference as well.

Erik
June 16th, 2004, 17:17
Nice story!

The Gallardo is a 13 sec. 0 - 200 km/h car.
The RS6 is more like 18 sec. +
At least around 1014 mbar ;)

RS6 vs. Gallardo
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=68

In traffic and on track, everything is very depending on the driver.
I guess drivers in an RS6 are more likely - not to mention willing -to go for it all the way (if there's a Gallardo to beat with a :cool2: driver ) :rs6kiss:

Best regards
Erik (who over took a ~ 600 hp Viper with compressor the other day)

avdh
June 16th, 2004, 17:19
Originally posted by GmbHouse
I just met a guy who owns both a stock RS6 and a Gallardo and he said he thought the RS6 was faster. Our altitude makes a difference as well.

The higher the elevation, the greater the "Turbo" advantage, however remember that with the RS6 there are built-in limitations to avoid the turbos from overspinning.

Be it as it may it is mighty nice to hang on the tail of a supercar with a family sedan :D

avdh
June 16th, 2004, 17:25
Originally posted by Erik
Nice story!

The Gallardo is a 13 sec. 0 - 200 km/h car.
The RS6 is more like 18 sec. +
At least around 1014 mbar ;)

RS6 vs. Gallardo
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?useframe=comparison1_e.asp?Car1=53%26Ca r2=68

In traffic and on track, everything is very depending on the driver.
I guess drivers in an RS6 are more likely - not to mention willing -to go for it all the way (if there's a Gallardo to beat with a :cool2: driver ) :rs6kiss:

Best regards

Erik

This happened at 1750m elevation, the Gallardo being a NA engine looses 16% of it's power at sea level.
That's why up here the RS6 ( and the E55 btw) are such fast cars in comparison to NA cars.

My RS6, although stock is not a 18 seconds car to 200 but more like a 15 to 16 second car. Maybe it's the lesser atmospheric pressure, lesser wind resistance?

Klint
June 16th, 2004, 19:45
Well Done Andre,

Sounds like great fun.

Forget the Gallardo, it's the Murcielago you want. ;)

Drive safely. :)

Erik
June 16th, 2004, 19:54
Originally posted by avdh
My RS6, although stock is not a 18 seconds car to 200 but more like a 15 to 16 second car. Maybe it's the lesser atmospheric pressure, lesser wind resistance?

They would be close...very close!

(and I know about the pressure, hence me mentioning performance figures at 1014 mbar) :)

7:53 RS6
June 17th, 2004, 20:08
Originally posted by Erik
Best regards
Heard it had almost 800hp but maybee using 600hp if thats the one?