PDA

View Full Version : Carrera 4 comparo

Benman
June 14th, 2004, 20:37
Got a chance to put a couple of hundred miles behind the wheel of an 02 Carrera 4 this weekend and thought I'd write down how it compares to The Beast.

First impression was that it is obviously a more focused driver's car than the RS 6. Steering feel is better (not that the RS 6's is dull), ride quality is firmer, and throttle response (being a manual) is sharper. Got to drive a combination of freeway and back roads. On the back roads is where the car really shines. The handling combined with the steering feel borders on the telepathic. Unbelievable reflexes. Of course it's not the Turbo so it lacks the straight line speed of the RS 6 but is still plenty quick.

Although I was impressed with the cars abilities on the back roads what I saw (and felt) on the freeway would keep me from ever trading in the Beast for one. The ride quality was definately firmer than the Beast and after some time I decided this is not the car for a long road trip. There has been a lot of complaints about the U.S. spec RS 6 seats we get here in the states but after a couple of hours in the Carrera I can tell you that I prefer the RS 6 seats. The steering, although a joy on the back roads gets tiresome on the freeway. That almost "telepathic" feel is not welcomed when a sneez happens (almost changes lanes!). To sensitive for cruising the express ways. You find yourself almost tired just because of how much effort you have to give just to go straight. And despite comments from Robin I failed to see anywhere where the fit and finish of the Porsche beats Audi. Everything that looks like metal is PAINTED plastic (in the Audi it's REAL!)

Don't get me wrong. This is hands down a more focused driving machine (I would think great on a track), but the RS 6 is just such a better rounded car. It cost the same, has a better ride, is quicker, handles close enough for everyday use, has a toned down yet still sharp enough steering with good feel, has gobs and gobs more room and has a higher level of fit and finish.

It is possible that my opinion would be different if the car was a Turbo but then that adds @ $40K. As it is the Beast is a mighty hard package to beat:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict: :addict:

avdh
June 15th, 2004, 15:49
I second your thoughts.

I have yet to find a car with the power, the handling and the thrill of the RS6, which will still allow you to drive for 9 hours (1450 km/900m) on roads which are not highways, thus not smooth and you'll be fresh enough to go out for dinner and even party upon your arrival.

I must say though that the S6 was a bit better on on long trip (17" vs 19" wheels) but the thrill was only half of the RS6's.

Benman
June 16th, 2004, 14:42
Originally posted by avdh
I must say though that the S6 was a bit better on on long trip (17" vs 19" wheels) but the thrill was only half of the RS6's.

I can almost comfort myself with the fact that we got only the 18" wheels in the States by having the better ride quality.;)

Ben:addict: