PDA

View Full Version : The new BMW 5 series

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 21:40
The new BMW 5, 6 and 7 series look like crap! Am I the only one that sees that? They look like Mitsubishis or Hondas to me..

Yet another reason I chose to get an Audi. Classical german shape and performance.

Klint
June 12th, 2004, 01:25
The 6'er is the worst, I literally regurgitated shortly after viewing it. Followed by the 7 then the 5, I think the Z4 is the best out of the ugly bunch.

The M5 looks promising though, nothing like the E39 M5 though.. :D

SpinEcho
June 12th, 2004, 01:58
Couldn't agree more. Current BMW styling is puke:

It's a pity how BMW has decided to become a 'trendy' car maker. The new 5 series looks like a Pontiac Grand Prix at the front. And look at their interiors: the needless i-Drive, more slash and burn styling, abandonment of the driver-focussed cockpit design. Even BMW's driving dynamics are coming into question: active steering is receiving mixed reviews, and the trend towards SMG, perhaps to the point where it will be the only transmission available on the next M cars, is disturbing.

Trouble is, there are plenty of people out there who value that blue and white propeller on their key fob more than anything else, so I doubt BMW will be forced to tone down their next line.

spg123
June 12th, 2004, 02:06
As far as good looks go, I'd put the 7 first and the Z4 last. The Z4 looks too "blonde chick/gay guy" to me (no offense).
Must agree that the new M5 is the bomb, though.

gjg
June 13th, 2004, 22:46
all new bimmers look like shit - some more than the others ..... :king:

Klint
June 13th, 2004, 23:37
Originally posted by gjg
all new bimmers look like shit - some more than the others ..... :king:

George,

That appears to be the general consensus around the 'net in regards to the new BMW designs. :D

Down with Bangle.... :king:

avdh
June 14th, 2004, 07:01
Right, but people still buy them just because they are bimmers....

The worse is the 6 centre console, I have never seen something so atrocious.
The Z4 dash and that big piece of aluminium comes very close.

However there is worse to come, in the form of the 1 series, which not only is ugly like sin, but has no leg room at the back, which according to some of the British press is perfectly acceptable because it is a BMW. In other words, if it would have been any other brand, they would have slaughtered the lag of rear leg room.....

Talk about un-biased press...

:confused: :confused:

RS4Ever
June 14th, 2004, 09:00
Originally posted by avdh
Right, but people still buy them just because they are bimmers....

The worse is the 6 centre console, I have never seen something so atrocious.
The Z4 dash and that big piece of aluminium comes very close.

However there is worse to come, in the form of the 1 series, which not only is ugly like sin, but has no leg room at the back, which according to some of the British press is perfectly acceptable because it is a BMW. In other words, if it would have been any other brand, they would have slaughtered the lag of rear leg room.....

let me either refresh your memory or share this with you..

a while back on TopGear, Jeremy Clarkson was doing a show about the "old Z3 and in with the new Z4"

anyways.. he test drove it and basically said that the Z4 is a much better roadster than the Z3.

the final cut: from jeremy's mouth to you... he said something very very similar to this:

"if BMW were even to take a dead bird and put a logo on it they would still have buyers"

hehe :hihi: .. nicely said.. especially while in the middle of talking about the Z4.

but seriously.. why is that trim on the dash so big?.. so ugly. puke:

peace

lukegarratt
June 14th, 2004, 09:26

I've just finished reading the Car publication featuring the supposed "Golf killer" 1 series and I too was dumbofounded at the double standards awarded to BMW. Almost useless rear seats, rear-drive transaxle robbing interior space, potential offering of i-drive (in a small car, what for !?!) plus the usual BMW stinginess on standard equipment, but that's ok, as it will provide unparalelled driving experience for this class. I cannot believe that the 1 series can carry all these faults just because it offers a driving experience most buyers in this segment will fail to recognise or appreciate.

IMHO BMWs new styling direction is confused and hideous, some might say the Mk5 Golf, Audis are bland, but at least they're not offensive to the eye. BMW at the moment seem to be designing bad interpretations of Ford's recent New Edge??? design, where the cars end up looking like the victims of a samurai sword attack. If there ever was a case of a badge leading the blind...

Aronis
June 14th, 2004, 15:23
Those BMW fans read this site you know!

They will get even if you dis' their wheels...

Watch out for keys-in-the-hand BMW owners getting even for harsh comments!

LOL

I don't know where the hell they are going with their stying trend, but please fire the head design guy! They are looking more and more like HONDA's, and the interior is going from a driver's interior to some garrish bs from GM! YUCK.

Bring back the classic round head lights, please.

Mike

RS4Ever
June 15th, 2004, 08:06
Originally posted by Aronis
Those BMW fans read this site you know!

They will get even if you dis' their wheels...

Watch out for keys-in-the-hand BMW owners getting even for harsh comments!

LOL

I don't know where the hell they are going with their stying trend, but please fire the head design guy! They are looking more and more like HONDA's, and the interior is going from a driver's interior to some garrish bs from GM! YUCK.

Bring back the classic round head lights, please.

Mike

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hehe.
if u were talking to me....
im not suprised if they will.
i know audi has its negatives as well.
i dont look at it as a game of who is better.
bmw makes a great car.. im just agreeing with clarkson that there are simply so many buyers out there that buy a bimmer so that they can go around telling people "i gotta bimmer" and a lot do it because others do it and they follow without knowing why.
and of course im waiting to see the new M5... thats a very nice looking 5 series.

avdh
June 15th, 2004, 15:37
and of course im waiting to see the new M5... thats a very nice looking 5 series.

Simply because we are getting used to that, not so elegant, shape.

RS4Ever
June 16th, 2004, 07:19

Simply because we are getting used to that, not so elegant, shape.

-----------------------------------------------
yeah.. im waiting to see the new M5 .. and only the M5.. so that it can zoom by so fast so that i wont have to look at it long. :360:

lukegarratt
June 16th, 2004, 09:56
I'm not fussed about seeing the M5, but cannot wait to hear a V10 scream by! :revs:

Klint
June 16th, 2004, 10:35
Originally posted by lukegarratt
I'm not fussed about seeing the M5, but cannot wait to hear a V10 scream by! :revs:

Apprantly the sound is something not to get too excited about, but then that leaves the option of getting an aftermarket exhuast for those with the 'mod bug'.

Erik
June 16th, 2004, 10:43
Originally posted by lukegarratt

I have heard the M5 V10 in traffic. At low revs it sounds just like any other car. Higher revs? I have yet to hear... :love:

lukegarratt
June 17th, 2004, 05:53
What a shame. I suppose there are noise issues, although the RS6 isn't exactly quiet, is it?