PDA

View Full Version : 10 Mpg ???

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 02:41
I'm getting an average of 10 miles per gallon with my RS6. Is this normal or I have to go get it checked?

SpinEcho
June 11th, 2004, 03:31
Try placing a raw egg under the gas pedal and driving without breaking it. :hihi:

Seriously...

Give us some information here. What are your driving conditions? Highway, city, both. What is your driving style? How many miles/km does your car have?

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 03:37
:D Funny. I guess that would help.

Well, it's a brand new '03 RS6. I got about 700 miles on it. I drive in the city most of the times, but I have about 8-10 miles/day of freeway ride too. I guess I can say I am an agressive driver. It is pretty tempting to push the gas all the time. I got much more conservative after the second speeding ticket.

Anybody else getting 10 MPG here?

SpinEcho
June 11th, 2004, 04:05
Mine has just over 1500 km (940 miles). I've done a mix of highway and city driving, biased towards city. So far I'm averaging 15.8 l/100 km (that's 14.9 mpg US or 17.9 mpg Imperial). I'm expecting this to improve as the engine gets more fully broken-in and as I do more highway driving.

Two speeding tickets already? :MTM: Ouch ... it sounds like maybe 10 mpg correlates well with the weight of your right foot!

JKN
June 11th, 2004, 04:06
My experience is as follows:

About 750 miles of urban/city driving: 13-14 MPG

Drive to Vermont with tons o' hiway: 22-23 MPG

She's a beast and she drinks. Period.

Someday I'll buy a Prius to balance it all out... :hahahehe:

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 04:38
Ok, so I guess it's normal. I'm still new to the RS6 and I'm pushing it too much. Racing other cars etc., that's why it takes a little more gas for me.

:addict:

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 04:46
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Two speeding tickets already? :MTM: Ouch ... it sounds like maybe 10 mpg correlates well with the weight of your right foot!

Yes, unfortunatelly LAPD caught me speeding twice since I got my car.

gjg
June 11th, 2004, 06:27
10 mpg in LA? You must have a lead foot .....:revs:

13-14 mpg city/urban and between 10-12 mpg autobahn and that is cruise between 120-160 mph. you have to drive rather hard to get 10 mpg ......

sturs6
June 11th, 2004, 12:38
Originally posted by spg123
Ok, so I guess it's normal. I'm still new to the RS6 and I'm pushing it too much. Racing other cars etc., that's why it takes a little more gas for me.

:addict:
You are racing cars with 700 miles on the car. :incar: You need to try and observe the break in period:deal: and that in and of itself will help you to get better gas milage unless it is an issue. :thumb:
I have 21,000 miles and in urban setting I average between 15.8 (today) and 17.2 mpg.

eph94
June 11th, 2004, 15:51
Originally posted by sturs6
You are racing cars with 700 miles on the car. :incar: You need to try and observe the break in period:deal: and that in and of itself will help you to get better gas milage unless it is an issue. :thumb:

I met someone at the track with an RS6 that has under 1000 miles on it. And the person is not an inexperienced car/track person. Some say break-in the car the way it is intended to be used, I suppose.

Regarding mileage, I get ~17MPG in highway driving, ~15MPG mixed, and ~12MPG in the city. I get between 7MPG and 8MPG at the track--and with only 6 track days under my belt I haven't felt comfortable enough to really "push" it.

spg123
June 11th, 2004, 21:29
Thank you all for your input! I think I'll start driving less agressively and I'll wait for the engine to break in after say 5K miles.

Cheers!

JKN
June 12th, 2004, 05:10
Mine just may go down now that I finally got my K40 installed. If my first day with it is a testament for those to come, my agressiveness just increased :bye2:

Mr Balsen
June 12th, 2004, 09:16
When I drove back last year the RS6 MTM (580ch) from Paris to Ingolstadt, I had to refuel the car every hour. OK I have to admit I was driving well above the french speed limit. And well above is an understatement since I reached 300 km/h with the car during this trip.

My average speed (between gaz stations ! ! !) was over 200 km/h.

You do the math for 65 liters to drive 200 kilometers for a total of 800 kilometers ! !
At the same time I was chasing the motorcycles on highway. And the car was absolutely awesome. I should have stop by Roma to go to Ingolstadt.

Cheers,
Frederic.

gjg
June 12th, 2004, 09:28
Frederic,

in LA you'd get arrested - correction, executed - by California finests in less than 10 minutes. And I doubt you would be even able to reach substantial speed in that traffic .....

I averaged about 400 km on tank with Avant, combine autobahn/city traffic. Fuel flow stock engine at 280 km/h steady speed on flat road is aprox. 43 liters/100 km.

Worth every km/mile or whatever measurement we use ....... :rs6kiss:

S6+ still in the stable? :thumb:

Nordschleife
June 12th, 2004, 10:21
One question:

Why only put 65 litres in the tank if you are filling up every hour?

R+C

Nordschleife
June 12th, 2004, 10:24
Originally posted by gjg

I averaged about 400 km on tank with Avant, combine autobahn/city traffic. Fuel flow stock engine at 280 km/h steady speed on flat road is aprox. 43 liters/100 km.

George

After MTM tuning, your gas consumption should improve. For some testing I was allowing 60 litres/100lm but discovered that in practice 45 litres / 100 km was closer to the actual figures used. You can back off the throttle quite a lot at 300, as long as there are no winds around.

R+C

gjg
June 12th, 2004, 10:35
After MTM tuning, your gas consumption should improve.

Yes, I've experienced the same with S4/S6 cars (AAN) with various MTM and Lehmann setups - the performance improved and gas consumption dropped. With S4 and Stage I and II and II+ the difference was about 2 liters/100 km less (15 versus 13).

I'm waiting to the replacement so I am curious what the diference will be between rs6 and rs6+ . I need to check with MTM if there is anything different for upgrades or not.

gg

Mr Balsen
June 12th, 2004, 16:07
If there are 3 others adults in the car + lugages, the gaz consumption does not drop even with MTM setup ! ! !

Yes the S6+ is still in the garage.

Cheers,
Mr Balsen

spg123
June 13th, 2004, 19:35
Originally posted by gjg
[B]Frederic,

in LA you'd get arrested - correction, executed - by California finests in less than 10 minutes. And I doubt you would be even able to reach substantial speed in that traffic .....

/B]

True. However, a friend of mine and I did 160 miles (a little over 270km) on the US-101 freeway from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. It was 3 o'clock in the morning and the road was empty.

Aronis
June 14th, 2004, 15:26
When I manage to keep it at 65 on the highway I get 18-19 mpg.

At 55 I get close to 20 or 21.

Mike

Hy Octane
June 14th, 2004, 18:26
Getting 10-12 mpg in city driving and did 22mpg avg yesterday on the drive with wife and son plus bags and A/C on from San Diego to LA. Averaged 77 mph... Every single Porsche, Audi and Benz had to make special effort to get close and give me the smiling thumbs up.. Our reputation seems to precede us.. :0:

JAXRS6
June 14th, 2004, 19:47
I'm at 21K+ miles and have been calculating mpg at most fillups. One thing I've discovered is that, like my S4, the computer calculations are a bit too optimistic -- by about 1 mpg.

The actual mpg I experience, correcting for that flaw, is as follows:

12-15 mpg city
19-22 highway
10 when driving aggressively; worse if doing it a lot

For a few weeks I kept the tranny in S and shifted as needed to keep rpms at 3K or more, per dealer instruction. During that period, about 65% city & 35% highway driving produced 12 mpg overall. I also accelerated more aggressively during that time; it was an effort to deal with performance issues which later were determined to be caused by something else (i.e. wiring harness was replaced).

Also found that in city driving, it's the stop-and-go that sucks up gas rather than slow speeds. I can cruise around 40 mpg and computer shows mpg in the 20s...but then a stoplight arrives and sets me back by registering zero mpg for a while. City driving's frequent acceleration, from zero to anything, sucks it up too.

On the Interstate, computer sometimes shows upper 20s & even 30 mpg when conditions are ideal...but that seldom lasts long & requires driving just below 60 mph.

Computer also tells me I save about 1.5-2 mpg if I can shut off the AC, which I do more now; just open the roof! But I also make sure I "exercise" my beast now and then, just to keep it running well.:thumb:

Oh, yeah -- and because it's fun. Which is why I bought it!:rs6kiss:

Audihead
June 15th, 2004, 20:18
Hey hasn't it always been a dream to have a car that goes really really fast and gets crappy gas mileage? I know i have.:revs: :D

:s4addict: -Audihead