PDA

View Full Version : Be very careful out there!

Erik
June 10th, 2004, 09:24
I don't know what happened, but it doesn't look good.

http://images.copart.com/website/data/pix/20040429/03946884_1X.JPG

Klint
June 10th, 2004, 10:10
Woah...$"!£!!!:rolleyes:

So much for quattro eh? but hey, looks like the cabin was hardly penetrated...kudos for a well built and safe car. :0:

RobertV
June 10th, 2004, 10:28
I always remember some car mag writing about ESP some time ago: the electronics are great, BUT you can not beat the laws of physics!
Hope the passengers/driver are OK.

itisme
June 10th, 2004, 10:30
looks like he slided against something big and stron, or like a sidecrash... then it might not be his fault.. hope the passengers do well...

Erik
June 10th, 2004, 10:43
Originally posted by Klint
So much for quattro eh?

Money is hopefully the least of the worries for the driver.
I really hope the driver + passangers were ok.

Why would a thing like quattro save you all times?
quattro doesn't make you immortal.

Chuangs4
June 10th, 2004, 14:07
Look at the tires....She was a brand new car!!:doh:

sturs6
June 10th, 2004, 14:56
Sad sight indeed I hope everyone was ok. I wish them the best.

1199 left in the US now. :doh:

SpinEcho
June 10th, 2004, 16:17
Originally posted by Klint
but hey, looks like the cabin was hardly penetrated...

:MTM: I dunno - I don't like the look of that driver's door! I hope his left side (and the rest of him) are OK.

Aronis
June 10th, 2004, 18:24
There are more pictures of that car, not shown here.

Carbon Lord is in the next picture wripping the carbon fiber interior out! LOL..

Spare parts anyone?

gjg
June 10th, 2004, 19:29
Mike, got a link for the other pics?

Audihead
June 10th, 2004, 19:41
If Carbon Lord is scuttling the car, is this near Chicago?:hihi:
I really do hope everyone is alright, man that one looks bad!:bigeyes:

:s4addict: -Audihead

FOX
June 10th, 2004, 21:56
:cry: Its realy hurts my hart if i see a picture whit an RS6 so badley damaged
I think the person who did this so deserve an Audi!!!!

Klint
June 11th, 2004, 00:02
Originally posted by Aronis
There are more pictures of that car, not shown here.

Carbon Lord is in the next picture wripping the carbon fiber interior out! LOL..

Spare parts anyone?

Mike,

It's torture not sharing those other pictures with us... :hihi:

Phinnbill
June 11th, 2004, 00:55
Found a full set of pictures over on AudiWorld.com. Go to the A6-S6 Forum and down a bit to a thread entitled "Ouch". The second "pic" comment has a full set. It does not say, how did this happen. Looks like a hit on the driver's side.

audirs6sport
June 11th, 2004, 05:47
does anyone know where i can contact this salvage yard? or whoever's the owner of this..... :addict: :addict:

Aronis
June 11th, 2004, 14:40
Let the looting begin...

I want the transmission...

LOL

PS the Picture of Carbon Lord Stripping the interior was a JOKE .....d'ooh....

Mikers6
June 14th, 2004, 16:17
This is really, really sad !!!!! :doh: :cry: :confused: :mech: :thumb:

hope they are fine, and willing to sit back on "the Beast"

Mikers6

k2
June 14th, 2004, 22:45
can't remember where i saw this ... there are more pix of this RS6 wreck ... oh well ... i guess it could be worse (assuming no one died) ... see below ... might as well start over

avdh
June 15th, 2004, 15:58
The RS6, like most powerful fast cars, can be quite lethal is you abuse it.
Unfortunately, many drivers do not have a clue at how to catch it.
The one problem I have with the RS6, but this could be the tyres faults (Dunlops), is that sometime you feel too safe and the fine line between safe and overdoing it, is indeed very fine and rather sudden.

Erik
June 15th, 2004, 16:03
Originally posted by avdh
The one problem I have with the RS6, but this could be the tyres faults (Dunlops), is that sometime you feel too safe and the fine line between safe and overdoing it, is indeed very fine and rather sudden.

I've tried the Dunlops on other RS6s and they are good in the rain, but - frankly - useless compared to Contis and P Zeros.
The Dunlops feel much softer. I increased the pressure and the performance improved, but still not up to pair.

avdh
June 16th, 2004, 13:22
That's what I thought, the Dunlops feel good, simply becuase of the excellent suspension of the RS6.

I run the fronts around 3.0 + bar (43.5 psi) and the rear at 2.8 bar (40.6 psi) for the road, much better than the 2.7 bar suggested by Audi.

For the track I pump them up more, however I have been told by the guys at the Audi Driving Academy that I should pump the rears more than the fronts, so to induce a bit of oversteering/ less understeering for track days. I'll try that next time.

I think my next set of tyres might be the Toyo T-1S, but I am somewhat tempted by the Michelin PSII.

Although I did not like the PZero Rosso's on my ex-S6 (17") a friend of mine has just changed his RS6 Michelin PS (I) with PZeros and he raves about them...
I have heard many contradicting reports about the PZR,

SpinEcho
June 16th, 2004, 23:55
I have been told by the guys at the Audi Driving Academy that I should pump the rears more than the fronts, so to induce a bit of oversteering/ less understeering for track days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't more pressure in the rear tires promote understeer?

Sarge
June 17th, 2004, 05:45
You all who say 'so much for quattro' can also say 'so much' for your own esteemed judgment on the matter:

The car was clearly hit by a large probably commercial truck on the drivers side. Most likely the RS6 was making a left in the middle of an intersection and was T-boned by an inattentive driver (or RS6 rana light, who knows).

Either way, this driver was not 'out of control' at the time of accident and the accident was certainly not caused by a loss of vehicle control, as is evidenced by the photos.

If you look, the only point of impact is the drivers door and rear pass door. The pass side front tire was given the brunt of the force (of the 4 tires) as evidenced by it's shearing off of the rim.

The frame was bent and buckled, causing the whole car to appear warped, but there does not appear any evidence of a rollover or other accident contact. It also appears the car was travelling under 20mph at impact (speedo reading on one photo) which is consistent with a normal left turn.

Also possible the RS6 was just traveling straight ahead and was T-boned while the driver of the truck tried to swerve, hence also the same driver door followed by rear pass/driver door impact.

Certainly, the car appears to have held up well under the circumstnaces, and the side airbags did their jobs, I do not see any blood evidence in any of the photos, so hopefully the driver walked away (note trans in Park, seatbult released and drivers door open, indicating driver leaving under own power). IF the driver had been unconcious resue crew would have used the Jaws of Life to remove him/her from the driver's seat most likely, to avoid subsequent spinal injuries while dragging the driver across the seats.

Ugly looking RS6, but on the brighter side, anyone looking to make a U.S. RS6 avant now has a perfect donor car!

avdh
June 17th, 2004, 08:38
Originally posted by SpinEcho
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't more pressure in the rear tires promote understeer?

That's what I always thought, but apparently not as it makes the rear a bit loose and thus induces oversteer and eventually when the front starts to slide, you get amore neutral slide.

Haven't tried it yet, but those guys are on the track nearly everyday, so I guess they know what they are talking about

Erik
June 17th, 2004, 18:09
Here's scoop's RS6 hit by another car.

http://rsmodels.net/index.php?mode=image-bundles&bundle_id=24&image_id=1472

rs6_newyork
June 18th, 2004, 03:21
The RS6, like most powerful fast cars, can be quite lethal is you abuse it.
Unfortunately, many drivers do not have a clue at how to catch it.
I'd rather not explore that limit, but I'm curious what you mean..

my feel is if you hit an apex really too fast in the RS6, and lift off to adjust, or lift then brake, you still just understeer (harder) into the scenery than it normally does? You talk as though crossing the line will cause the car to bite somehow and I find it hard to believe that 4200 lbs of car will "suddenly" do anything if you exceed the limit.. and even less so with ESP avoiding lockup and spins..

driving fast on twisty country blacktop I could hear the tires singing in some of the decreasing radius corners but it never felt like dragons lurked nearby. Perhaps you know differently?

PS: Randy Pobst and his team told someone who told me that it has taken until recently, to dial the "push" (understeer) out of their car.. (they are now neutral).. a "push" maybe annoying .. but it is not scary.

rs6_newyork
June 18th, 2004, 03:30
PS: the RS6 "jumps" well :)
I had the pleasure of driving with a purpose back and forth for a few days on a tiny country road twisting thru forest and farms, and there were a couple of nice humps you sometimes get on small roads.
It doesn't take much of a boot-in on approach to take off, but the RS6 lands on all four fat wheels square, and compresses really nicely, without hitting any rubber stoppers, or scraping its belly, or landing on its nose. Excellent, makes ya smile. Like a tight trampoline fitted with roller blades!

eph94
June 18th, 2004, 04:01
Originally posted by rs6_newyork
You talk as though crossing the line will cause the car to bite somehow and I find it hard to believe that 4200 lbs of car will "suddenly" do anything if you exceed the limit.. and even less so with ESP avoiding lockup and spins..

driving fast on twisty country blacktop I could hear the tires singing in some of the decreasing radius corners but it never felt like dragons lurked nearby. Perhaps you know differently?

From my limited experience on the track with the RS6 (just 6 track days--3 at New Hampshire International and 3 at Lime Rock Park) I also got the feeling that it just "suddenly" breaks loose at the limit. This is not to say that the tires aren't already singing when it happens, though. It's just that it seems like the tires go from "happy singing" to "angry screaming" quite quickly. It's all subjective, though. I think it happens to me because I forget sometimes that I'm piloting a car that weighs 4200 lbs since it handles so darn well for its weight. The RS6 has made me a track addict. I'm headed off to Watkins Glen for 2 days in July and then to Mont Tremblant for 2 days in August.

:addict:

Sarge
June 18th, 2004, 04:11
Just curious if you're using the stock pads/rotors/fluid at those track days - how does the car generally hold up to repeated track sessions?

Handling consistent throughout the day? (no shock fluid issues?) Braking consistent? (fluid boiling/pads liquifying/rotors warpig?)

TIA for your reply...

SpinEcho
June 18th, 2004, 13:30
Originally posted by rs6_newyork
my feel is if you hit an apex really too fast in the RS6, and lift off to adjust, or lift then brake, you still just understeer (harder) into the scenery than it normally does? You talk as though crossing the line will cause the car to bite somehow

Are you using SP9000's? I am, and I've already noticed on back roads that if I sharply lift off the throttle in a corner I can induce some mild oversteer. But this is a common trait in FWD and nose-heavy AWD cars, and as long as it is controllable and done at reasonable speeds, it's a good thing!