PDA

View Full Version : EVO RS6 Avant Plus test

steve
June 7th, 2004, 17:56
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_30/car_portal_pic_15115.jpg?1855

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_30/car_portal_pic_15116.jpg?1461

Audi RS6 quattro Plus

A limited run of just 999 cars featuring an even more powerful version of the twin-turbo V8

f there's one thing the standard RS6 Avant doesn't lack, it's horsepower. With its 4.2-litre twin-turbo V8 engine producing 444bhp, coupled to the permanent four-wheel drive, its amazing cross-country pace borders on the surreal at times.

But Audi obviously thinks differently, because it has just given its fastest ever car a further dollop of power, raising the total count to 473bhp. To be known as the RS6 quattro Plus, the new model will be available in just three colours: blue, silver and black. Only 999 cars will be built between now and September and all will be Avant estates. Just 100 are coming to the UK, the RS6's largest market in the world, where more than 830 have been sold since September 2002.

A revised engine management unit accounts for the extra horses, but there's more to the transformation from RS6 to Plus than a bit of electronic tweakery. From its racing experience with the RS6 in the US (the RS6 saloon won both the drivers' and manufacturers' titles in last year's Speed GT World Challenge), Audi knew that Cosworth could easily get extra power from the engine, it was just that cooling would be a problem. So the RS6 Plus features two extra water radiators sitting behind the twin intercoolers on either side of the engine in order to cope with the extra cooling demands.

Audi has also fitted a new exhaust system so the engine can breathe a little easier, which in turn allows the turbos to spin-up more quickly.

So despite the peak torque figure of 413lb ft remaining unchanged, that huge slab of torque is now available over a wider rev-range than before, stretching from 1950rpm all the way up to 6000rpm, some 400rpm higher.

After fettling the engine, Audi then turned its attention to the chassis to ensure it could cope with the extra grunt. The ride height is 10mm lower than the standard RS6's and also features firmer damper settings than before.

Our test car is waiting outside and Audi has thoughtfully made sure there's a de-restricted Autobahn close by so we can test the final revision on the RS6 Plus, its higher official top speed. It's still electronically limited, but now the electronics don't chime in until it hits 175mph, rather than the 155mph of the previous version.

It doesn't take long to discover that the accuracy of the speed limiter is one thing that Audi's boffins don't take too seriously; the needle soon blasts beyond 175mph and on to an indicated 185mph before traffic forces me to ease off again. It also doesn't take long to realise that the Plus feels very different from the standard RS6; the turbos spin-up much quicker than before and that revised exhaust allows far more of the RS6's earthy V8 grumble to filter through into the cabin.

The punch available at autobahn speeds is in a different league, especially above 130mph where the merely very quick cars are separated from the bonkers-quick variety. Push the throttle at an indicated 150mph and despite the chunky kerb weight of 1865kg the RS6 actually kicks down a gear and punches for the horizon with serious determination.

Audi claims a 0-62mph time of just 4.6 seconds, making it 0.2sec quicker than before, but the gap seems wider than that out in the real world.

Break away from the autobahn and the Plus continues to impress. Those chassis revisions make a significant difference, with much less body-roll than before and simply blinding grip available from the new standard-fit Pirelli PZeros.

Getting the car to misbehave is nigh-on impossible though; the front end eventually pushes wide thanks to the frontward weight bias, but counter this with a touch of left-foot braking on entry and the twin-turbo V8 slingshots you out of the corner beautifully.

It's a shame, then, that the already marginal brakes remain basically the same when so many other areas have been improved; the only change is that now all four discs are cross-drilled for extra cooling. But they still suffer from the slightly mushy feel of old, as well as becoming a bit grumbly after several stops from serious speeds. It helps to use the engine braking by employing the Sport setting on the auto-box or by changing down manually to give the brakes less of a hard time when you're really pressing on.

Overall, though, I'm mightily impressed by what Audi has achieved with what is basically an old car. (The new A6 saloon has just gone on sale but the current shape Avant range will soldier on until an all-new version appears early next year.)

The list price of £66,675 may appear a bit steep at first - it's a £7800 premium over the old RS6 - but the revisions really work, and with just 100 models coming to the UK, exclusivity is guaranteed. With an RS version of the new A6 not arriving until late 2006 at the earliest, the Plus is a mighty tempting way to tide you over in the meantime.

As an overall ownership proposition there's simply never been an Audi as desirable as this RS6 Plus.

PLUS: Phenomenal performance, exclusivity
MINUS: Mushy brake feel, dull steering

RATING: ***** = maximum:addict:

-Engine: V8, 4172cc, twin-turbo, 40v
-Max power: 473bhp @ 6000rpm
-Max torque: 413lb ft @ 1950rpm- 6000rpm
-0-60mph: 4.6sec (claimed)
-Top speed: 175mph (limited)
-Price: £66,675
-On sale: Now

greetings,

Steve

Erik
June 7th, 2004, 18:05
Thanks a lot steve!

5/5

For more pics check here:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4331

SpinEcho
June 7th, 2004, 22:17
Sure sounds like a monster. It would be interesting to know if anyone who has chipped their RS6 to over 500 bhp has encountered cooling issues; Audi seems to think that a small hp increase requires substantial additions to cooling. I doubt it would be a problem here in North America at the slower speeds we run, but on the track...

Can't say I've had the opportunity to stomp on the brakes repeatedly from 200 km/h plus, but I agree about the mushy pedal feel. What's up with this? Surely fixed calipers on the front should give a firmer pedal?

The Stoptechs on my Corrado give a much firmer feel, and the rear brakes are stock floating calipers, just like the RS6's. Are stainless steel brake lines required?

gjg
June 7th, 2004, 23:36
check

http://www.movit.de/

for probably the best brake setup for RS6 ....... :mech:

not cheap, but you'd get what you pay for. :thumb:

gg

TaTaPiRaTa
June 8th, 2004, 23:30
I wonder if it would be possible to order these: "two extra water radiators" and add them to the chipped RS6 ???

:rs6kiss:

avdh
June 9th, 2004, 09:50
Nice to see EVO giving an Audi a good review.

I still don't get, what's with the "dull steering" story. (again)

Do they think a super light, annoying steering like on my wife's Bimmer is better and a steering with weight and substance like on the RS6?

Wonder what they say about BMW's new E60 5 series very contraverial steering...
Being a Bimmer I suppose it's OK... The bagde forgives all sins:confused:

SpinEcho
June 9th, 2004, 13:29
André

Your comments about your wife's Bimmer are interesting; a lot of people have said similar things. Is it an E46? What year? Here in North America BMW retrofitted steering racks on some E46's after owners complained the new ones had too much power assistance.

I agree with Evo about dull steering on Audis, though. It's not a really terrible thing, but I think it's noticeable. The RS6 certainly has less steering feel than my E46 330i did. My TT, with it's much harsher suspension and better road feel through the chassis, still has steering that is more artificial weightiness than feel.

Cheers!

Rein
June 11th, 2004, 13:32
oh what a nice car a Audi RS6+ :D :rs6kiss:

Benman
June 11th, 2004, 20:57
Originally posted by steve
[img] Just 100 are coming to the UK, the RS6's largest market in the world, where more than 830 have been sold since September 2002.

Steve
Interesting. Still we hear about the UK being the "biggest" market for the RS 6? If that really is true than we in the US have less than that #. Or mabey like usual, EVOs stats are hardly accurate.:cheers:
Ben:addict:

gjg
June 11th, 2004, 22:36
it is true that this is the biggest market in the world - of the islands ....

:brag:

Erik
June 14th, 2004, 18:01
Have a look!

http://www.jabbasworld.net/photopost/data/503/83evo69driven_08.jpg

Remove the http:// and press enter to see the scanned article.