PDA

View Full Version : ESP - when does off mean off?

nene
June 6th, 2004, 06:53
I got the Bentley CD Repair Manual about 1 week ago. After installing it, I've been going over it slowly. I'm going over the stuff that interests me first, but nonetheless making some progress.

Usually when it's dry outside, I turn off ESP via the push-button on the center console. Well, at least I thought I was!!!

Here is what the Repair Manual states on this matter:

"
If required, the ASR and ESP control functions can be switched off and then on again by means of the ASR/ESP push-button switch on the center console. This switch is overriden when the driver presses the brake pedal. ESP will remain active at all times during braking. Both functions, ASR and ESP, will be reactivated automatically the next time the ignition is switched on
"

I knew about the reactivation when ignition is turned on the next time. But did you know that when you turn the function off, it really does not mean off entirely? I suppose it will be off if you accelerate, but any action of the brake pedal, and it's really on when you think it's off.
Figured I'd share this with you. Normally I like it turned off. I'm trying to find a way via the VAG tool to make it off as the default. No luck yet, but I won't give up.

audirs6sport
June 6th, 2004, 08:12
i've heard that u can't make the esp to be off as default, and the reason why the braking will override it is because abs and esp is associated. therefore, if u want esp to be off as default, u will lose ur abs. u can simply do this by removing esp fuse from the fuse box. :addict: :addict: :addict:

Nordschleife
June 6th, 2004, 09:04
You cannot turn off ESP/ABS using VAGCOM or any other tool.

There is only one way to turn it off, and that is electrically.

Now, suppose you have a switch which allows you to truely turn off ESP, and you have an accident. The black box will record the fact that the ESP was not deactivated.......... lets not even think about what this information could do in the hands of a good attorney.

Unless you deliberately want to smoke your tyres on the street, the ESP is not that intrusive in street driving. If you are of the smooth is fast school, it will even let you get the rear end out a bit without cutting in. It is most intrusive if you try to use the engine power to tame understeer, so a small adjustment to driving technique, if required, will allow you to proceed quickly and enjoyably without interference from the ESP and with longer tyre life.

You can feel and hear ESP intervening. This can be used as a aid to improving one's driving technique, its very helpful as long as you know what it is that is causing the problem.

I wonder how long it will be before you run up against the other truely interesting feature of the car's control system!

R+C

JP4
June 6th, 2004, 15:25
Originally posted by Nordschleife

I wonder how long it will be before you run up against the other truely interesting feature of the car's control system!

R+C

Are you referring to the fact that the control system will not allow you to use the throttle while the brake pedal is depressed or something else? :looking:

JP4

nene
June 7th, 2004, 01:07
Thanks for the info Nords. I guess I won't waste my time looking for it afterall.
I usually turn ESP off during dry pavement weather only. I don't really push the car that hard. I don't ever remember actually getting the ESP light to blink when the feature was enabled. There you go, I'm a Sunday driver, sort of!!!

So, now that you've wet my appetite, what's that other neat feature?

Erik
June 7th, 2004, 08:30
Originally posted by nene
So, now that you've wet my appetite, what's that other neat feature?

Right foot braking allowed???

7:53 RS6
June 7th, 2004, 10:27
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nordschleife
[B]You cannot turn off ESP/ABS using VAGCOM or any other tool.

the ESP is not that intrusive in street driving.

Well its depending on how hard you are phusing it on the street. And with that i dont meen abuse underster.:D

Nordschleife
June 7th, 2004, 11:33
8:29

I know you have bollocks the size of ostrich eggs and your chest hair touches the floor (hey saves you grazing your knuckles),

but

unless you are driving like a complete arse - the ESP is not that intrusive in ordinary street driving.

Yes we can activate the ESP when we want, yes we can shred a pair of tyres in fifteen minutes, but why?

I understand you live in Sweden - well its quite cold up there, perhaps your tyres never achieve their proper operating temperatures?

R+C

AlanN
June 7th, 2004, 12:36
Anyone who is activating the ESP (other than by deliberate provocation) on a regular basis whilst driving on the public roads should not be driving at all IMHO :doh: :eye: :deal:

nene
June 7th, 2004, 16:54
I totally agree that for street driving the ESP is not intrusive, because we're not pushing our cars that hard, alledgedly!
That is the reason I sort of wanted it off as the default.

Unless it's deep snow storm outside, I figured I don't push the beast hard enough to trigger it. I'm sure it's a helpful feature, but one that I have yet to use.
My 2000 S4 did not come with it, and I never felt unsafe in it, because my driving habits won't allow it to be that dangerously close to the edge of a car's capabilities.

Just sad that I can't turn the default position to be off.

June 7th, 2004, 16:59

I know you have bollocks the size of ostrich eggs and your chest hair touches the floor (hey saves you grazing your knuckles),

but

unless you are driving like a complete arse - the ESP is not that intrusive in ordinary street driving.

Yes we can activate the ESP when we want, yes we can shred a pair of tyres in fifteen minutes, but why?

I understand you live in Sweden - well its quite cold up there, perhaps your tyres never achieve their proper operating temperatures?

R+C
Thats whats rather dull whit the RS6, you cant shred the tyers in 15min.(well maybee it could be done if working hard) .

You talked about Colin Macray erlier ask him. A freind of me was his private airpilot over some time. And once my freind let Colin drive his Porsche 996 cab, he went in to a roundabout.....well if you know him ask.
By the way crusin on autobhan in 300+km/h eats tyers if you dident think of that.
Sliding around a track (street) from time to time is not a killer.

Erik do you think we will get the proper temeratures in my tiers this wekeend:wo: :wo: :wo:

Erik
June 7th, 2004, 17:08
Originally posted by 8:29 RS6
Erik do you think we will get the proper temeratures in my tiers this wekeend

All I can say is: please get new street tires before the flag drops! (I'm the co-pilot)

http://www.highway-challenge.com

AlanN
June 7th, 2004, 17:18
because my driving habits won't allow it to be that dangerously close to the edge of a car's capabilities.

Exactly :applause:

June 7th, 2004, 20:41
I totally agree that for street driving the ESP is not intrusive, because we're not pushing our cars that hard, alledgedly!
That is the reason I sort of wanted it off as the default.

Unless it's deep snow storm outside, I figured I don't push the beast hard enough to trigger it. I'm sure it's a helpful feature, but one that I have yet to use.
My 2000 S4 did not come with it, and I never felt unsafe in it, because my driving habits won't allow it to be that dangerously close to the edge of a car's capabilities.

Just sad that I can't turn the default position to be off.
I think its god to take a car to the edge and over it to learn how the car and you react. Soon you will have controlle of the car over the edge. This also add some valu in form of handeling the car in an accident senario on the street/highway. And last its more fun to know your car.

Exampel if you know the limits of a car it never comes as a surprise when its starting to slide hard and becuse of this you will react calm and fix it up. Or you can drive on the limit just before losing grip and never let it lose grip. If you dont know the limits there will be a surprise and panik! with less of a chance to correct things up.

If more peopel out in traffic did know how their car handel on the edge and over it, ther would be less accidents.

Every car manufactor should give the custumor a track day inkluded to test the limits. To day this is only done by some of the sportscars manufactors.
A safty cars instructor once told me they had a old laidy on the cource. She had whit her new car got her selve in to an accident by phusing the breake hard. Then when the ABS started to pump she did think something was wrong and take her foot of the breake with a crash as a result. Now she knows better.

PS : not saying i will never go of or crash DS:)

June 8th, 2004, 22:23

but

R+C
Sure you can activate the ESP becouse you know it will save you if bodering the extrem(belts and hangers). I wonder what if ESP of and you going over the limit........hm..maybee but not sure Nordo in a RS6 avant.