PDA

View Full Version : boost gauge

jon
June 4th, 2004, 14:59
Whilst i'm waiting for my 6+ to be built I was thinking of getting a boost gauge ready for when it comes. Does anyone know of any that can be pillar mounted that aren't tacky?

rs6_newyork
June 4th, 2004, 15:16
I think that would look v tacky.
maybe you can get a small digital one in the instrument cluster.

nene
June 4th, 2004, 15:33
I've thought of the same thing, but not sure exactly where to put it such that it won't make it look out of place.

Lots of folks on the S4 put it on the A-Pillar, and that might not even be a good location, since we're all driving a sedan. It's ok on a sports car, but what do I know.

If you go to AW on the B5-S4 forum, do a search for Mr. Piggie.
He builds some good boost gauge pods IIRC. He's done good ones for the S4, and might be able to work something out for you.

jon
June 4th, 2004, 15:42
i think I should mention I would have it trimmed to match the alcantara to help it blend in. i just wanted them so I can see if there is anything wrong with the blowers. I've had one let go before on an rs4 so I don't want to do it again.

Just had a word with AMD (one of my clients btw) and Scott says they have nearly finished the one click tuning system for the RS6, and you will be able to have a custom map on it too if you can get to their rolling road in the UK!

rs6_newyork
June 4th, 2004, 15:44
Just had a word with AMD (one of my clients btw) and Scott says they have nearly finished the one click tuning system for the RS6, and you will be able to have a custom map on it too if you can get to their rolling road in the UK! [/B]

Sorry, can I have a translation? I think I know what part of that means, but not all.

jon
June 4th, 2004, 15:58
AMD now have serial port tuning but at athe moment it's off the shelf maps, and not for the RS6. but that is about to change. the RS6 version will be available with Off the shelf maps, and custom maps if you can get to one of their rolling roads. IIRC they have one in Oxford in the UK, One in Sydney and one in Florida.

He has just rung me back with a solution to the gauge problem as well, a custom made unit to fit in one of the centre vents with an Amari (spelling?) gauge set into it. not cheap though at £250-300.

gjg
June 4th, 2004, 15:58
I'm interested in that one too. I have analog boost gauge (and oil pressure) on my S6, mounted on dashboard close to the center.

I also used temperature gauge before/after and accross IC.

:mech:

avdh
June 4th, 2004, 16:25
I installed a boost gauge to my RS6.
It is what you would call a tacky install, but It does not seem to worry me much.
Actually I did it that way so I could remove it easely and quicly.

It is next to the A pillar on the dashboard, behind the vent, and it is held by double sided sticky tape, which is hard to see (the tape not the gauge).
The pipe runs along the bottom of the A pillar, and goes back to the engine at the door (when the door is opened you can see the pipe) through the water channel, and then along the edge of the engine bay, to the front of the car, where it is connected with a T-piece to the dump valves piping.

It is quite accurate, as it corresponds with the Vag.com data, when you plug in a computer to the port.

I absolutely love it. It is a good way to check is all is OK (leaks or stuffed DV's and so on).
I also learned with the boost gauge that the RS6 boosts 0.1 to 0.15 bar (1.45 to 2.2 psi) more at 1750m elevation (5250ft) than it does at sea level.

My max boost at sea level is 0.8 to 0.8 something bar (11.6 + psi) and settles in all gears, except 1st, to 0.7+ bar (10.1 psi).
At 1750m elevation the max boost is a little over 0.9 bar (12.9 psi) and settles to 0.8 bar.
The boost is also dependant on the fuel octane I use.

jon
June 4th, 2004, 16:40
great minds think a like. thats the same reasons i want one in mine too!

audirs6sport
June 4th, 2004, 21:17
i would get the illuminating display that reflects off ur windshield. it looks really nice. i think those a pillars are kinda.....

jon
June 4th, 2004, 23:28
I take it you mean a head up display? Yeah their kinda cool!

JAXRS6
June 5th, 2004, 01:50
Originally posted by nene
If you go to AW on the B5-S4 forum, do a search for Mr. Piggie.
He builds some good boost gauge pods IIRC. He's done good ones for the S4, and might be able to work something out for you.

I can vouch for Mr. Piggie, who installed a dash mounted boost guage in my S4 that looks like it came from the factory. It fills up the middle of three vents above the center console on my '00 S4 & works great. Mfr was AWE, as in http://awe-tuning.com but tho their current web site shows two choices of boost guage for the B5 S4 (dash like mine or A pillar), nothing similar is shown for the RS6 or A6.

Still, Mike is capable of making something himself, at least for an A pillar. But he hasn't done an A6 or RS6 & said he'd have to see one before agreeing to anything.

I just talked to him; altho he moved to Minnesota, he's back in SE Michigan for most of June & gave me the OK to publish his info here. Mr. Piggie = Mike Shimon, cell phone (248) 318-2460, email mike01s4@yahoo.com

Mike has a master's in automotive engineering & made some very popular downpipes for the B5 S4. Owner groups from both coasts flew him out for installations.

Mike also is the guy who produced a VAG-COM printout that made my dealer change its mind about blaming a problem on my S4's APR chip. After dealer saw his printout, they replaced MAF under warranty.:thumb: :s4addict: :thumb: :addict: