PDA

View Full Version : locking wheel nuts - any ideas?

plus
June 3rd, 2004, 10:41
I live in an area where occasionally you will see a car like BMW/Audi up on bricks with a couple of the wheels stolen. these cars must have come with one locking nut on each wheel so i need some additional nuts to make the job more difficult for the theiving *******s. Anyone have any ideas on wheel nut security for an RS6 - would other car make's locking nuts work ie schnitzer? :addict:

Erik
June 3rd, 2004, 12:22
We can fly to the moon but noone can make a locking wheel nut that works.

gjg
June 3rd, 2004, 16:31
not sure how it is supplied in US but my Avant came stock with locking nut on each corner (18" stock rims). So the dealer should be able to supply it ...

:cry:

price may be an issue .....

Erik
June 3rd, 2004, 16:39
Check this one out: http://www.mcgard.com/

I think mine were about 100 USD.

A better way is to install an alarm that detects when someone lifts/tilts the car. Saved me once, but it woke the neighbours (I was living downtown then) who became :vgrumpy: .

I used this option to the alarm: http://www.defa.com/alarm4.php3?aid=46&lang=&ndid=

Total cost of the alarm incl. installation perhaps 500 USD.

BUT - if they want it they'll steal it!

gjg
June 3rd, 2004, 19:30
Lojack may be a good option ...

:looking:

SpinEcho
June 3rd, 2004, 22:45
Originally posted by Erik
Check this one out: http://www.mcgard.com/

I know a lot of people like them but I think McGard are crap. I had a set awhile back and the f@&king lock stripped!

Originally posted by Erik
BUT - if they want it they'll steal it!

Sad, but oh so true.

plus
June 4th, 2004, 12:51
whats lojack?:confused:

gjg
June 4th, 2004, 13:56
something like a locator - when car is stolen, the company (Lojack in US, there is more than one in Europe) will locate the car.

Two main types of system are used - one using GPS and cell/gsm to transmit vehicle information (similar to OnStar), second one is using RF signal with triangulation. Disadvantage of cellular based system is relatively easy (to a professional) way to block the signal.

Some insurance companies here do offer discount for the above system installation which more than cover the annual service fee.

I have been using such system since 92 (being in one of the high theft areas ....) and works well.

:thumb:

plus
June 4th, 2004, 14:20
its the wheel issue rather than the whole car - uk spec comes with what is called "tracker retrieve" which does roughly what you describe. I have spoken to a guy at McGuard who said that he could undo an Audi locking nut with tools off his desk! Off to McGuard I go. Available at Halfords in the UK. thanks for useful tips.....:0:

RobertV
June 4th, 2004, 15:56
Plus I have been told that the folks who need the master keys all have them (both the good folks and the bad folks.)
So, the locks may slow a person down, but the real pros will still take what they want.

plus
June 6th, 2004, 08:39
its sad but you are right - have to build myself a garage or connect the alloys to the battery at night so the theives get fried....!!:rs6kiss:

gjg
June 7th, 2004, 04:51
220 VAC on a door knob would do the trick ..... :harass: