PDA

View Full Version : Warranty

audirs6sport
May 31st, 2004, 06:36
i am wondering if anyone know, by having the dp's installed, but reversed back to stock, because ur motor or tranny blew up (worst case senario) will void the warrenty? or anyone know a dealer in socal that wouldn't mind about it and cover under warrenty? i've been hearing about others that came in with full mods and they still worked on it when things blew up. :addict: :addict: :addict: :rs6kiss: :rs6kiss:

gregoryindiana
May 31st, 2004, 17:35
I am no expert, because I haven't done any mods and then had motor or trans "blow up", but no dealer who values their franchise will try to run major work through and bill Audi as a warranty repair, if it is obvious to anyone that modifications or enhancements were done that led directly to the damage.

So if you cahnge the chip or modify turbos or wastegate, or whatever, and the engines or trans blows up, it will be your money to pay for it, and so it should be. And when they download the telemetry or fault codes, or whatever they call that stuff, if they find that your car was performing outside spec, in a way that standard stuff would not do, then I would bet that even if you put the stock stuff back in the car, the burden would be on the car owner to prove he/she had not chipped the car, or whatever.

Now if you chip the car, and a headlight fails, or something like that unrelated to the mod, then Audi should pay.

There are a lot of threads lately from people hoping to make big HP mods, but then trying to figure out a way to stick Audi if big trouble results. Better plan would be to ask whoever makes the product you are planning to install what their policy is, or warranty. Chances are, they will warrant their product only, and not for any damage caused by its use to other components of the car. Ever think there might be a reason for that policy?

A post on another thread made the point that Audi is moving away from turbos on some of their cars (A4 in particular) because of problems with bogus warranty claims due to aftermarket mods causing damage.

Conclusion: If you're man enough to do the mods, you should be man enough to accept the risk of damage to YOUR wallet, not Audi's.

JAXRS6
May 31st, 2004, 18:03
Originally posted by audirs6sport
i've been hearing about others that came in with full mods and they still worked on it when things blew up.

Some dealers look deeper than others for the cause of a problem, but I can't help you in CA.

If your mod did indeed cause the problem, that problem won't be covered under warranty, unless you find a dealer willing to risk its franchise for you. Not too likely.

If you have reason to believe the dealer is wrong in blaming the problem on your mod, you can always try to find an independent third party to prove them wrong. That's what I did, utilizing the expertise of a friend who produced a VAG-COM printout from my '00 S4 which caused the dealer to reconsider its initial conclusion that my CEL was coming on because of my chip. Ended up getting my MAF filter replaced under warranty.