PDA

View Full Version : A review of the Beast (opinion)

SpinEcho
May 29th, 2004, 17:51
Since my Beast is not fully broken-in, this is a review (personal opinion only) of some of the non-performance aspects of the car. My reference point is my previous daily-driver, a BMW 330i (sport package), a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but perhaps more relevant when you factor out performance.

Build quality

The press likes to go on and on about how Audi leads in interior quality. No doubt about it, the RS6 materials, fit and finish are excellent. But the 330i really doesn't lose anywhere in this regard. In fact, the RS6 plastics in a few spots are cheaper than the BMW's, for instance, the steering wheel centre cover.

I'm more impressed with the paint quality on the RS6. There is less orange peel. We'll see how it holds up to Canadian winters.

Advantage: neither

Seats

I'm not sure why there's so much fuss over the North America-spec. seats. The leather is not nearly as slippery as BMW's Montana leather. Although the side bolsters don't look very big, they seem to do a good job of holding me in place around corners. I'm pleasantly surprised - I had thought these seats would be a real disappointment. The lumbar adjustment and memory features are welcome.

The only area the 330i sport seats win is in thigh support. I can get OK support in the RS6 by tilting the seat cushion up at the front. Why don't more manufacturers include extendable thigh cushions like BMW does? Otherwise, the BMW seats may look more aggressively bolstered, but the combination of slippery leather and widely-spaced bolsters means the seats are considerably less supportive in corners.

Advantage: RS6 :addict:

Interior design

Of course, this is very subjective. But the BMW is clearly designed by engineers who are drivers. The gear lever falls perfectly to hand, as does the handbrake. Neither does in the RS6. For manual shifting mode, BMW's gearshift moves towards the driver (logical). In the RS6 it moves away :doh:

In the BMW, you feel cocooned. The console is angled towards you, and you sit 'down' in the car. In the RS6, the dash is more of a flat slab, and you sit 'on' the seats, not 'in' them. In the BMW, when you are driving, both elbows can rest on their respective armrests. Not in the Audi.

The BMW interior looks more sporty, but I have to say I have always preferred the more minimalist, cool, art-tech combination of Audi's interiors. And that Alcantara headliner, mmm...

Advantage: BMW :(

Sound system

No contest. The optional Harmon Kardon system on the 330i is better. Sounds are clearer at all frequencies. Bass is tighter. But the in-dash changer on the RS6 is a lot nicer than the trunk-mounted unit in the BMW.

Advantage: BMW :(

Ride

OK, this is sort of performance-related. I'm shocked that the RS6 is better. I put it down to a combination of superior damping and the longer wheelbase. Bumps and ridges in the 330i are a crashy, jarring affair. The whole car moves, not just the suspension. In the RS6, the same imperfections result in less jarring, and some tire noise (I can imagine the suspension moving up and down, almost as if it has more travel than in the BMW).

The only negative is less feedback, especially through the steering (a traditional Audi problem). But the BMW is no paragon of feedback. In fact, it feels numb compared to my TT. I'll trade the superior ride any day.

Advantage: RS6 :addict:

Tnat's it for now. When the car is broken-in maybe I'll post more (handling, grip, brakes).

EternalX
May 30th, 2004, 17:44
They didnt make an rs6 in 2004.

Nice review! Thanks and i hope you enjoy your car.

RobertV
May 30th, 2004, 19:53
:thumb:

EternalX
May 30th, 2004, 20:13
my mistake then if im incorrect :vhmmm: :vhmmm:

gjg
May 30th, 2004, 20:16
EternalX - They didnt make an rs6 in 2004.

not true - RS6 is still produced - although only as RS6+ Avant. Final production stops I believe week 31, which is end of July 2004.

The RS6 Sedan/Avant production ended this April and only 999 RS6+ Avant is being build now.

There were no imports to US after 12/2003 - I think this had something to do with US emissions requirements in 2004.

gg

:cheers:

SpinEcho
May 30th, 2004, 22:31
Originally posted by EternalX
They didnt make an rs6 in 2004.

As RobertV pointed out, Canadian RS6's are 2004 models. I am Canadian.

jgun81
June 1st, 2004, 05:04
I completely agree with you that BMW's interior is for driver.
But...I don't understand 330's sound system is better than RS6.
My E46M3 had optional Harman kardon sound system...and well...
it wasn't good at all...

SpinEcho
June 2nd, 2004, 02:06
Originally posted by jgun81
I don't understand 330's sound system is better than RS6.
My E46M3 had optional Harman kardon sound system...and well...
it wasn't good at all...

Are you saying you prefer the system in the RS6 to the HK in your M3? I don't know if the acoustics in an E46 sedan are any different from those in a coupe/M3, or if the HK system is different. All I can say is that my personal taste tells me I don't think the Bose system in the RS6 is as good as the one in my 330i. To each their own...

Wang
June 2nd, 2004, 06:12
You may want to play with the bass, mid, treble controls. The system really doesn't offer flat response when everthing is set to middle settings, IMO. I have the bass at 8, mid at 3 and treble at 4 at this time. Fader, balance set to middle settings however. The system sure beats the Monsoon, but falls shy of the bose found in the Audi A8L. The RS6 sound system reminds me a lot of the BMW E39 M5 stereo with enhanced bass. :addict:

avdh
June 3rd, 2004, 13:28
Having had a 325Ci (grey interior), 330 Cic (Black Interior) and having still a 325i Touring (beige interior), I don't agree with you. I find the RS6/S6 black and silver (off white-light grey) interior better than that of the E46, specially withthe RS6/S6's Alcantara roof lining and rear parcel shelve.
Audi's Recaro seats are miles better than BMW's sport seats, other than the M3.
Nevertheless I find the E46's interior the best/nicest BMW offers right now. The E60 5 series being still sort of OK, but I can't digest the 6 series, 7 series and Z4 interiors...

As for the Harman/Kardon in the M3, I too was not impressed, until I started fiddling with the tone controls.
Be it the Bose or the HK system, both are pasable sound systems, nothing to write home about.

SpinEcho
June 3rd, 2004, 19:31
Originally posted by avdh
Having had a 325Ci (grey interior), 330 Cic (Black Interior) and having still a 325i Touring (beige interior), I don't agree with you. I find the RS6/S6 black and silver (off white-light grey) interior better than that of the E46, specially withthe RS6/S6's Alcantara roof lining and rear parcel shelve.
Audi's Recaro seats are miles better than BMW's sport seats, other than the M3.
Nevertheless I find the E46's interior the best/nicest BMW offers right now.

André

I'm not sure that we disagree; please reread my review. Despite preferring the BMW interior overall because it is more driver-oriented, I prefer the Audi interior in the area of style. This seems to be what you like about it, too, judging from your response.

And please also note that even though I don't have the Recaro seats, I still rate the Audi's seats better than the BMW's overall.

Cheers!