PDA

View Full Version : Engine break-in procedures

JP4
May 29th, 2004, 03:00
OK guys....most of us have been around cars for a while and have developed opinions over the years about how a person should break-in and or take care of an engine. Engine manufacturing techniques and procedures have evolved over the years too. Many of us have had questions why Manufacturers recommend one method over another to break-in an engine. Synthetic vs dino oil is also a subject that has been beaten to death over the years.

Here's a link that many of you may find interesting enough to further discuss this topic here.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Comments....opinions?

nene
May 29th, 2004, 04:37
My engine came in with 35 miles, so I guess I missed the break-in period. I hope Cosworth ran that engine hard when they had a chance to test it before it came to the US.

JP4
May 29th, 2004, 06:23
Originally posted by nene
My engine came in with 35 miles, so I guess I missed the break-in period. I hope Cosworth ran that engine hard when they had a chance to test it before it came to the US.

That's kind of what I was thinking nene. It would be interesting to find out EXACTLY what they do during that initial run as most of these cars seem to have hit the dealers with 30 to 35 miles on the odo. What I don't understand if that is the case is why they have the specific break-in procedure in the manual then. I remember someone mentioning that they thought the break-in procedure was to allow the driver to get use to the power before cutting it loose. Who knows!

Also...the points about draining the oil earlier rather than later on the new engine. I wonder if Audi does that oil change after the first 30 miles? My initial impression is that I think NOT!

Lots of questions and not many definite answers. :vhmmm:

steve
May 29th, 2004, 18:41
I don't think they would be do insane things in the first 35 miles.
The braking-in of an engine is very important though.
Simply because there are a lot of rotating parts in car and they need time to get "used" to each other.
As everybody knows the best way to do the brake-in is to drive with a lot of variety, preferably no highway, but roads where you need to accelerate, shift, brake and turn a lot. So the parts get "well-knowned".(right word?:confused: :p )

Greetings,

Steve