PDA

View Full Version : coilovers???

carlos
May 28th, 2004, 15:36
Does anybody have experience with coilovers???. I just order bilstein pss9 for my rs6, and i know i would lose the DRC. The thing is the stock susp. is not very good ( track and street ) , it may be confortable in street but that is it. I just put sportec 20inch with conti, sportec exhaust, sportec carbon rear inserts and carbon paddles. Order the sportec springs but the ride is the same so lets try the coilovers. Just wanted to make sure somebody may have any exp.

SpinEcho
May 28th, 2004, 17:19
Wow, you must have smooth roads in your part of Mexico!

I have no experience with PSS9's for RS6, but I do have a set on my Corrado and I can vouch for the quality of this product.

Oh, and how about some pics of your Sportec-tuned beast?

Erik
May 28th, 2004, 17:24
Carlos welcome to RS6.com!

I was in Mexico a few years back on vacation. I sure hope to go back anytime soon.

I guess the Sportec springs only lower the car 20 mm?
Sorry I have no reply to your problem.

I really want to see pics of your Sportec RS6! :bye:

nene
May 28th, 2004, 17:30
I would like to first welcome you to our forum Carlos.

It seems that you will have a nice setup once it's all said and done. We must see pix of course!!!

As for coilovers, I had a set on my S4. I loved that I could play with the ride height, which in the 3+ years I owned the car with them installed, I think I changed it about 10 times.

Please understand that the roads in Boston are one of the worst you can possible imagine. With coilovers, the ride handling was great, formidable in fact. When they were new, the ride quality was almost as stock, but a bit firmer.
If only the roads were better though. Once I gave the car to my sister, I changed it back to the stock setup, and love the stock ride of the S4.

The car started to generate cracking sounds that I could not diagnose when the coilovers were on, and started to get old.
Once I put the stock suspension back on, it all gone.

I liked the setup, but to tell you the truth, it's not something I'd do on the RS6, unless it was used as mainly a track car or show car. Being that the RS6 is now my daily driver, it's something that I don't consider as a mod to be done.

Good luck with your choice, and if you go through with it, we need write ups on it. Short term and long term of course!!!

Bauer
May 28th, 2004, 17:34
First off welcome to the board!

If I were going to change the suspension out on the RS6 I would not mix and match random parts without someone who has extensive knowladge about the dynamics of suspensions. To my understanding getting a suspension to work really well takes a lot, especially if you plan on using it for the track.

If I were in your shoes I would contact STaSIS in Sonoma, CA USA. I have seen many of their set ups and ridden in a few cars at track events. The best experience was an RS4 they were setting up for a customer and doing testing on. Very nice guys and they know their stuff. They run a two car team in the Speedvison World Challange. I believe they were in the process of working on an RS6.

Here is their website.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/index.shtml

I hope this helps and good luck.
:thumb:

carlos
May 28th, 2004, 23:48
Photos on tuesday!!! With coilovers!!!
And no we don´thave smooth roads in mexico.
carlos

nene
May 29th, 2004, 04:53
Good luck Carlos. Don't forget those pix amigo!!!!

Erik
May 29th, 2004, 16:00
Originally posted by carlos
And no we don´thave smooth roads in mexico.

LOL! I remember something called "topez."
These "topez" was in every village and almost destroyted our rental Jeep.

Scott-man
May 29th, 2004, 16:53
Personally, I would think twice about altereing your suspension. Are you sure that you want to lose DRC? This is a really good system. In the most recent issue of Autoweek (click here for the link) (http://www.audiworld.com/forum/rs6.html), Joe Hoppen talks about the RS6 they recently tuned; here is what he said:

As for the suspension? “Already wonderful. Nothing much we can improve upon there,” Hoppen says.

Of course, I maybe missing something, but this seems like a mod done just to be different rather than one expected to seriously improve your performance or handling.

These comments are meant with no disrespect. If I am ignorant, please educate me. No matter what you decide to do, I sincerly wish you and your car the best.

SpinEcho
May 29th, 2004, 17:15
Originally posted by Erik
LOL! I remember something called "topez."
These "topez" was in every village and almost destroyted our rental Jeep.

:hihi: Haha... how about the "vibradores" - those are nasty, too!

Originally posted by Scott-man Personally, I would think twice about altereing your suspension

I agree. Audi Driver magazine reviewed MTM and Sportec-tuned RS6 Avants last year. The Sportec car had coilovers (and thus DRC disabled) and the author did NOT like the handling compared to OEM.