PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

SpinEcho
May 28th, 2004, 15:07
I tried a search but didn't come up with much. How much oil does the RS6 like to use? I have almost 1000 km (600 miles) on mine now and I added about 1/2 litre (1/2 quart) yesterday because the oil level had dropped to just past the low mark.

I realize there is considerable variation from car to car, but no new motor I have previously owned has consumed oil in the break-in period.

eph94
May 28th, 2004, 15:26
Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues with oil consumption.

gjg
May 28th, 2004, 16:05
mine droppped very little on dipstick (about 1 mm) during 7600 km (about 4700 miles) - measured in the same place, cold in the morning.

gg

Aronis
May 28th, 2004, 16:09
I check mine weekly! and it has not yet been low, of course by checking it you remove a drop or so!

Mike

Bauer
May 28th, 2004, 17:19
Through out my 16k I have burned very little oil. Some at Audi Club events but not enough to really report. My factory tech rep who I have gotten know has told me that he has seen a few that burn a little more oil then other and that it typically is not a problem but he may just be saying that to save Audi $$. Who knows.

My last Audi (92 S4) burned some oil about a 1/2 a quart every oil change. Turbos cars can be a little more prone to oil consumption. Anyway good luck and I hope it all works out.

Cheers,

SpinEcho
May 28th, 2004, 17:21
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

nene
May 28th, 2004, 17:23
I have not had any oil consumption issues. I expected to lose some during the first 1-5K miles, but nothing. I check it occasionally, if I do any long distance driving. But not every week.

EternalX
May 28th, 2004, 23:37
Id expect the car to only burn oil in the first couple thousand miles while engine gets worked in. Any oil consumption after that should be looked at! numerous cars ive had all have eaten at least a quart before the first oil change, requiring a small fillup. After miles were put on, problems disppeared!

rs6w
May 30th, 2004, 06:56
In all my audi's to date they have all consumed very little oil.

I've topped them off maybe a 1/2 quart if even that every 4-5K miles or so...

Aronis
May 30th, 2004, 15:03
Perhaps I can't really say how much oil my cars ever burn since I habitually change the oil on all my cars every 5000 miles.

That way I know there is enough oil and it's new!

Mike

My prior A6 4.2 was never low, nor has been my RS6...fortunately.

Wang
June 2nd, 2004, 06:24
I believe that it is normal for cars to consume some oil, say .5 quart after the initial breakin 1000 miles. If you are not consuming any oil its probably because condensation is building and taking place of the burned oil. happens more in colder climates like Chicago IMO, In Chicago, I remember that I rarely topped off. In California now and the oil consumption is showing more. The Porsche 911 owner's manual describes the conditions where oil level doesn't (reduce) change from normal use. Cars consume oil, that's a fact. It is when they consume too much oil that hints of a problem with a new engine, or with a worn out engine.

Happy motoring.:addict:

JAXRS6
June 2nd, 2004, 20:04
Levels have never shown below the half way point towards "add," even early on.:applause: